Range Rover LR322

I have a 2007 l322 supercharged, my wife has a 2006 lr3 with v6. On hers the body is mint and seems better. There are more accessories available for hers. She had a ride hight sensor replaced and a compressor. I don't find it comfortable and it's harder on gas, if you go lr3 go v8 and get with better interior. My L322 has some rust and it does do some glitchy things like steering wheel tilting to odd positions sometimes. When we go off-road or any long trip we take the L322. For off-road the Range Rover is great, it has enough power to idle up a steep hill without touching gas. As for suspension, mine is all original, hers has the hight sensor and compressor changed and I'm not so sure the problem was actually the compressor, think it may have been leaking pipe really. Both vehicles are 10 years old and I can say the air suspension is no concern really. 10 year old coil spring based struts let go also, air struts aren't much more really. For a Land Rover you could buy 4 new ride hight sensors and have them installed, for that matter you could do the two distribution blocks also, not much money. I personally would pull up carpet and redo all the crimp connections via soldering and heat shrink. I made my own rock sliders, rack and bars, stuff was available but I just didn't like any of it. Will make G4 style skid plates next.

View attachment 382022View attachment 382020

Thanks for the advice on the distribution blocks and crimp connections. In my first post I alluded to chasing gremlins over the course year of ownership and don't mind proactively replacing commonly troublesome parts. Preventative maintenance can save an expedition or an average weekend.

https://youtu.be/QJNO6p54bUI
If you want to buy a Range Rover, DON'T [/IMG]

Matches - your position is clear. I have used your post as a spring board to explore the GX470. I am finding models with higher mileage and sticker price than the Range Rover. I have also googled and found some pretty impressive vehicles.

That being said I also see a Ford vs. Chevy pattern in all the threads. Toyota guys blast Rovers. Rover guys seem more tolerant but dismiss the space between the quality of these vehicles.

My follow up is to the Rover owners or anyone having real world experience with Rovers; thoughts on a cost comparison between the two. Btw..without a doubt i think the Rovers outmatch the Lexus and Toyota in looks department. Nonetheless, capability and reliability is my larger concern.

Ray_G

Explorer
Capability in terms of what? I don't think you are going to find Toyota out of the box better than a Rover-and I've owned (*own) both.

Reliability? That is a different conversation but is very relative. The overarching thing few recognize is that the L322 & 319 for that matter, are not Friday RRC's or porous block Dii's. There is a tremendous amount of truck for the money that is probably one of the best kept secrets in the used truck market today.

Oh, and to the question about ColoDisco's comment keep in mind his experience is significant with working on these-professionally-unless I'm off base. Thus there is an experience based comment to use, opinions abound (like Toyota vs Rovers) but one shouldn't conflate that with real world knowledge. Even on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matches130

Organizer
Matches - your position is clear. I have used your post as a spring board to explore the GX470. I am finding models with higher mileage and sticker price than the Range Rover. I have also googled and found some pretty impressive vehicles.

That being said I also see a Ford vs. Chevy pattern in all the threads. Toyota guys blast Rovers. Rover guys seem more tolerant but dismiss the space between the quality of these vehicles.

My follow up is to the Rover owners or anyone having real world experience with Rovers; thoughts on a cost comparison between the two. Btw..without a doubt i think the Rovers outmatch the Lexus and Toyota in looks department. Nonetheless, capability and reliability is my larger concern.

I've owned both. I loved my RR too. The overall quality of materials used for the interior are far superior to that of my lexus. To own a Range Rover is equivalent to dating a super model;
They are high maintenance, only happy when you are throwing money at them but damn they are fun to drive and you always look good with them!
The Range Rover purchase was an emotional decision. Simply put, I wanted one. The Lexus was a rational decision knowing it would last and not need much in repairs. The cost of ownership for the Range Rover was high. I purchased it from the original owner with all records with 95k miles. Sold it 2.5 years later with 150k miles. I still miss how it made me feel when I drove it. It was just cool. It was my daily driver and I was obsessive about maintaining it. Even though, it still broke, a lot.

Reliability? That is a different conversation but is very relative. The overarching thing few recognize is that the L322 & 319 for that matter, are not Friday RRC's or porous block Dii's. There is a tremendous amount of truck for the money that is probably one of the best kept secrets in the used truck market today.

Only a fraction of owners get online and participate in these forums. Other than having a blast and being a true enthusiast i sense the bigger motivation to get anyone active on forums is problem solving. I also believe non-actual owners rely on perpetuating old ideas to make them feel better about not purchasing a particular vehicle and making a "safe" decision. Understandably, Im split between making a "safe" choice and going after a vehicle that I feel I will connect with. Call it Stockholm, I have always bonded more with my more difficult vehicles. Unfortunately, life circumstances dont permit me to be as adventurous as I used to be.

Still willing.. I am seeking an honest assessment from enthusiasts. Putting money behind my purchase is not a problem. Putting more than my purchase price or getting stuck in a hole a vehicle is a concern.

I spent plenty on the Jeep in parts. This time I will save my mod money for repair money.

I've owned both. I loved my RR too. The overall quality of materials used for the interior are far superior to that of my lexus. To own a Range Rover is equivalent to dating a super model;
They are high maintenance, only happy when you are throwing money at them but damn they are fun to drive and you always look good with them!
The Range Rover purchase was an emotional decision. Simply put, I wanted one. The Lexus was a rational decision knowing it would last and not need much in repairs. The cost of ownership for the Range Rover was high. I purchased it from the original owner with all records with 95k miles. Sold it 2.5 years later with 150k miles. I still miss how it made me feel when I drove it. It was just cool. It was my daily driver and I was obsessive about maintaining it. Even though, it still broke, a lot.

Though you couldn't say with certainty, as a matter of opinion do you think your experience is the norm or a bad run with a great vehicle? Also, if you dont mind sharing, from 95-150K Miles how much went into your RR ? I am looking at Rovers with the same mileage.

matches130

Organizer
From the best I could tell it was pretty common stuff that went wrong. The coolant, pcv systems are over complicated in my opinion. Off the top of my head I replaced the following:
Radiator and all coolant hoses.
Coolant reservoir, twice
Crank case vent system
Valve cover gaskets
Fuel pump
Vanos solenoid seals
Coil spring conversion due to airbag failure
Thermostat
Coolant temp sensor
ABS module repaired
Steering wheel tilt motor
Timing guides and chain
These are parts that broke or were leaking. Not replaced under regular maintenance.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something too

From the best I could tell it was pretty common stuff that went wrong. The coolant, pcv systems are over complicated in my opinion. Off the top of my head I replaced the following:
Radiator and all coolant hoses.
Coolant reservoir, twice
Crank case vent system
Valve cover gaskets
Fuel pump
Vanos solenoid seals
Coil spring conversion due to airbag failure
Thermostat
Coolant temp sensor
ABS module repaired
Steering wheel tilt motor
Timing guides and chain
These are parts that broke or were leaking. Not replaced under regular maintenance.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something too

Thank you for sharing. Btw. What year did you own ? Did you undertake the repairs yourself ?

matches130

Organizer
It was a 2004 and I know you're looking at a newer one but they have a lot of the same issues. If I remember right the 2010 would be the best year to get. Not the sport. I did most the work myself and sourced most the parts aftermarket. They were surprising easy to get and not very expensive. Radiator was $220, for an example.

vitola231

Observer
I can agree with the above, sometimes the dealer is even the cheapest. Last year I decided to replace everything in the front end just for the heck of it (10 years old) didn't use landrover stuff but used stuff from the people who make it for land rover. If it rotates, bends or twists I replaced it. Cost me a tad over $300 in parts up here in Canada and you must appreciate that anything even a little special in canada is extremely expensive. In the end I felt no difference in handling which kinda says everything was fine. Im trying to think of what i have done to avert problems to give you a more honest opinion. I have changed the battery, while I had the battery unplugged I unplugged and plugged every connection I could get my hands on. I had one tweeter not working, found a crimp connection that was bad in foot well, so whenever I'm up to it I peel back the carpet and redo these connections one seating area at a time. I had read about range rovers failing MOT in UK due to rusted brake lines so for christmas I bought new oem brake lines that run from front to back, about $130 total, haven't done the job yet. Also bought valve body seals for transmission, called bridge seals, transmission is ZF6HP and people with other makes of vehicle had experienced a failure of these seals. I haven't hear of problem with range rovers but if I change the oil and filter I should just do these seals at the same time.

I would say with any modern vehicle you should download a repair manual, these manuals have lots of great function descriptions. I would also say that if you have a problem with a modern vehicle you should sit down and think about the problem with a nice smoke and coffee :coffee: often thinking logically about the problem will be more accurate than i diagnostic computer. Know your vehicle, i know land rover quoted me 7hours to change transmission fluid and filter in my wife's LR3 which i believe, they quoted the same for the L322 which is nuts, its about a 1 hour job. Lastly, my personal experiences with vehicles has been GM products have let me down and abandoned me in the middle of nowhere very very often so won't go near them, ford never let me down, can't say much about dodge, all mine were from the 70's. Mercedes was just atrocious(3 different vehicles), both in service and quality. toyota tundra died on me twice with i week part wait times. mother has lexus suv that seems like a very reliable vehicle. Isuzu trooper, never a good vehicle but it was my favourite vehicle, never let me down. 70,000km of range rover ownership through lots of washboard etc, never let me down. sure someone has exact opposite experiences though:ylsmoke:

vitola231

Observer
Oh, rambled on, sorry😳 The l322 seats don't fold flat and are very heavy. They kind of fold up. To me this is a big problem but I'm thinking about removing them completely and building cargo system.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have an 07 LR3 HSE, it occasionally has issues but, nothing that a little money thrown at it won't solve. I have a friend with extensive knowledge of many vehicles, Land Rover included (ColoDisco) that helped me find and ultimately buy the vehicle I now have.
I am learning about this vehicle every time I get in or under it. My previous 15 years of vehicle ownership centered around UniMogs and Pinzgauers, and before that many Toyota vehicles including the 2000 Tundra. The LR is to my mind a considerable step up in comfort and reliability to the Mogs and pinzies but far more complicated. There are schools of thought that go both directions in vehicle acquisition. I did not get this one to hope for a vehicle that would be an investment but one that would not only be fun but comfortable and still able to take me all the places I wanted to go.
I have added a few comforts and utility items: Front runner Roof Rack and shelf system that also doubles as a sleeping platform. ARB winch and front bumper, Tactical 4x4 rear bumper with tire carrier. Additional driving lights and rock sliders, interior lights and the ARB cooler from the last two vehicles that still works well.
This vehicle performs well and is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I have had in 25 years of off road/on road driving.
I am sure that I could have gotten something equally priced and fixable to keep me playing in the dirt, but for just enjoyable driving the LR is tops on my list.
Happy trails

I would say with any modern vehicle you should download a repair manual, these manuals have lots of great function descriptions. I would also say that if you have a problem with a modern vehicle you should sit down and think about the problem with a nice smoke and coffee :coffee: often thinking logically about the problem will be more accurate than i diagnostic computer. Know your vehicle, i know land rover quoted me 7hours to change transmission fluid and filter in my wife's LR3 which i believe, they quoted the same for the L322 which is nuts, its about a 1 hour job. Lastly, my personal experiences with vehicles has been GM products have let me down and abandoned me in the middle of nowhere very very often so won't go near them, ford never let me down, can't say much about dodge, all mine were from the 70's. Mercedes was just atrocious(3 different vehicles), both in service and quality. toyota tundra died on me twice with i week part wait times. mother has lexus suv that seems like a very reliable vehicle. Isuzu trooper, never a good vehicle but it was my favourite vehicle, never let me down. 70,000km of range rover ownership through lots of washboard etc, never let me down. sure someone has exact opposite experiences though:ylsmoke:

Reccomended manual?

vitola231

Observer
they are always online somewhere for download. Its amazing thing, on my iPad I have the full range rover and full lr3 repair manuals. Wiring manuals are always harder to find. Some people will pay for 24hour access to say Topix for jlr stuff and download everything they need. These manuals run over 3000 pages now days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94