Range Rover LR322

vitola231

Observer
i guess in a way its wrong thing to do ethically but they don't offer to sell them so its a reasonable thing to do in my opinion. I personally would gladly pay land rover for a flash drive of the repair manuals and in reality I think every vehicle should come with both repair manual and wiring schematics seeing it is so simple nowadays. Its a shame really, had to do the same with GPS, in north america the last gps update was 2010, in the end I bought a black market update for 2016 maps. I would have gladly paid land rover 5 times the price for the same 2016 maps but they just don't offer it and i don't think they plan on it so now I have my source for annual north america map upgrades. Copyright is a funny line to me, would never download a free movie or song or software, I will always pay the copyright holder the money but when they hold the copyright and refuse to release it well, this changes things. Guess everyone has their moral red line.

I have found a buyer for my car, deposit in hand, it is now time get serious about moving forward with a purchase. I am split between an LR3 and the Range Rover. They are both equally appealing in form and function. Given different things happening in our lives with respect to careers, location etc. overlanding is not on my short list of immediate priorities. That being said I want to purchase something under $13K. In term of the least riskiest of the two (LR3&RR) what does the forum recommend ? And what years/miles?
Thank you all for the indispensable LR322 advice.

1range

Adventurer
2007-09 LR3 or RR HSE with around 60-90k miles/ look for service records, if the previous owner doesn't have a stack, move on!!! You want a pre-owned Rover that has been maintained (loved). Trust me ;)
Good luck!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Ditto. 07-09 is best, 06-09 is also ok.

Service records are king. 1 owner car is best, easier to tell if car was babied and well-maintained. Risk wise I think both are OK, I know more about the L319 than the L322 so I'd lean that way.

Do try and get whatever you decide on INSPECTED. This will usually catch the worst problems and you can always talk to the tech and ask him what he sees the most.

Good luck :)

Even though the 06+ Range Rover (07' up preferred) is generally deemed a better motor, terrain system etc. Would you guys choose a low mileage (75K) 2005 single owner garaged vehicle over a later model with higher mileage ? At a sub $10K Price.

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Would you guys choose a low mileage (75K) 2005 single owner garaged vehicle over a later model with higher mileage ? At a sub $10K Price.

Depends on the options. Some of the 2005's have Ford 4.0L V6's which I hear are nice/reliable but not a lot of info posted about them, underpowered a bit, and no major fuel savings because the vehicle is still so heavy. Most if not all of the 2005 models I have seen are more basic. For example I saw a few that were the 4.0, no heated windscreen, no bi xenons, no front fogs, middle row design different from 2006+, no jump seats, floor mats different, no Nav (kinda cool), no bluetooth module for phone calls. Also some people like the wheels on the 05 but I do not. HOWEVER. Some vehicles like Nwood's old car had coils instead of the EAS so that's neat.

2006 is when everything was standardized and it is easier to find the right combination of options added. If you find a 2005 with 18"s, the 4.4, and IMO bi xenons, the later more standardized interior, could be fine.

Who's service records are we talking about? My rover has been to the stealership once since I owned it. I keep my own service records/receipts and do all my own work! The bottom line is, yes, some people take it to the dealer and if that is peace of mind for everyone, great! For me, not a difference because I've seen some horrible maintenance practices from many dealers including LR/Jag!

I guess knowing if someone changed some parts or alignment, etc... at a certain mileage per the manual is great, but nobody knows the accuracy or integrity behind those records.

It's great to get on here and know what to look for and hopefully take someone else with you. This place has taught me so much from so many great people who have been there before me.

Records can help validate what you see, but I would not rely solely on them in any sense.

1range

Adventurer
Rado... Are you referring to a 05 RR or a 05 LR3? If its the RR, I personally would stay far far away from it! Unless you own a BMW shop and even then :()

Rado... Are you referring to a 05 RR or a 05 LR3? If its the RR, I personally would stay far far away from it! Unless you own a BMW shop and even then :()

Range Rover. The comparison comes up as I have been generally warned to stay away from the 05' due to the BMW motor. On the other hand the vehicle is one of the few 05-08 models I have come across with an awesome service history and babied. Other than the Vanos what else is known to be problematic with the BMW 8 ?

When I bought my 08 LR3, even the LR Dealer told me to run from 05-07 years! I took his word for it but honestly can't speak to anyting other than my own vehicle and it has been fantastic to me!

When I bought my 08 LR3, even the LR Dealer told me to run from 05-07 years! I took his word for it but honestly can't speak to anyting other than my own vehicle and it has been fantastic to me!

By no means do I doubt you, it is however the first I've heard the 07' lumped in. I have been told the 06' is a rough year as it has a little of the old and a little of the new.

Everyone seems to think service records and history counts when comparing two similar vehicles. My situation is a little different. Where I am finding higher mileage 07's in my target price range I also have an opportunity to purchase an 05' below my target price range, with under 90K, and a very comprehensive service and care history.

I am trying to gauge if the perceived difference between the models, particularly the engines, is so drastic that it cancels out my opportunity for a well taken car of 05?

By no means do I doubt you, it is however the first I've heard the 07' lumped in. I have been told the 06' is a rough year as it has a little of the old and a little of the new.

Everyone seems to think service records and history counts when comparing two similar vehicles. My situation is a little different. Where I am finding higher mileage 07's in my target price range I also have an opportunity to purchase an 05' below my target price range, with under 90K, and a very comprehensive service and care history.

I am trying to gauge if the perceived difference between the models, particularly the engines, is so drastic that it cancels out my opportunity for a well taken car of 05?

Yeah, I don't know what half of 07 or the whole year models he discussed. Again, I can't speak to any of them so it would be completely rumor-mill from me on an 05-07. To clarify, I was just reinforcing the 08 years and I know the biggest difference is the BMW and JAG motors and electronics reliability. All of my major issues have been 100% self-induced! lol

Oh, except my back hatch is acting up again, time to put the pull cable release mod in!

Ray_G

Explorer
I think we need to be very clear about RR (L322) vs LR3/D3 (L319) model years in terms of the 'stay away from...' commentary. From what I have heard it has a lot more applicabiity with RR's given the BMW/Jag transition. That is in comparison, for example, to an 05 LR3 with the same 4.4L that an 08 LR3 has (the key difference in the L319 being the provision early on for V6's which, while reliable, generally seem to be undesireable.

That's aside from an overarching comment that saying what years to stay away from in either the L322 or L319 is not the same as saying what years to stay away from in the Dii, or the P38...I think we should be quick to qualify for new prospective owners these are not the porous block, thin framed, BECM nightmare trucks that their predacessors were...by and large.

Or maybe I'm just a little sensitive as an 06 L319 owner :)
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles