Range Rover LR322

This thread has focused entirely on the Range Rover.

Thank you, I know everyone is trying to help. I almost jumped at a higher mileage 07' today and took a step back. I'd like to get some time and mileage with this RR purchase. Ultimately, it will be a second vehicle, project vehicle, or station vehicle and id like to have it for a while. Otherwise, I will start posting in the Land Cruiser forum. With all due respect to new RR owners I think the styling cues which framed the RR lineup has been lost. I don't mind throwing money at something but it should be the right vehicle. If an 05', regardless of service history and care is substantially inferior than I need to move forward with a younger model.

Last edited:

natevolk

I have an '08 HSE SC with the 4.2. Best thing about the SC is the cooled seats and the locking center diff. I can roll up things that other rovers spin their tires on and get stuck trying. I put sport rims on it and 285/75/20s K02s and love it. I bought it with 90k and now it has 110k. No troubles at all, knock on wood :)

IMG_2206.jpg

Jwestpro

Explorer
I have an '08 HSE SC with the 4.2. Best thing about the SC is the cooled seats and the locking center diff. I can roll up things that other rovers spin their tires on and get stuck trying. I put sport rims on it and 285/75/20s K02s and love it. I bought it with 90k and now it has 110k. No troubles at all, knock on wood :)

View attachment 400181

LOL dude, for an owner, you are posting some un-factual information ...

A. There is no such thing as an "HSE -SC" as the SC models supersede HSE by including almost all options by default. These items, ventilated seats and differential locker were options on the HSE.

B. ALL Land Rover LR3, Range Rover Sport, RR and of course RRSC had the "center" locking differential. What you are confusing is the optional "rear" differential locker which came included on the SC build. It doesn't make a huge difference unless the terrain is at the absolute limits of the tires, which is more likely the case with your outing counterparts. The traction software in the now make up the biggest part of the equation.

C. You simply do NOT have that tire size 285/75-20 on the Range Rover. LOL - that would be a 37-38" tire haha! oh and it doesn't even really exist ;)

SexyExy

Observer
Here are my thoughts on the subject. I just bought a 2012 Range Rover Supercharged with 39k miles on it. I've been looking for an SUV that would be a daily driver, mild off roader, runaround car that I didn't care if it got a parking lot ding. I wanted it clean with pristine interior and no leaks or drama when I get under the chassis for an inspection. I don't need 7 seat capacity although it would be nice. I wanted something used, at least 3 or 4 years old to keep the costs reasonable. The one must have was it had to have a V8. I also wanted a vehicle that was a west coast car and proven so. East coast rovers have so much more chassis rust, potential flood cars, etc. Finding a local truck that was bought and serviced at the same Land Rover dealer is a huge plus as they know the history of the truck and how it was taken care of. Here is what I was comparing it to:

BMX X5....drove a unit for a week, not in love with it and it really didn't feel substantial in its build quality. What I mean by that is it just didn't feel like it would survive rough terrain, etc. I have no other basis to state this other than what my butt meter felt when driving it around for about 700 miles. Nothing that I experienced made me want to even consider buying a X5. Sad, because I do think they have a nice look to them exterior-wise and are unique in their shape.

Lexus GX470/GX460.....drove 4 or 5 used models of each. Biggest problem was that I did not like how close the passengers shoulder felt to mine. Ride was good, power good, etc. But, the platform felt just a little too cramped for me. A lot of these trucks had a lot of miles yet the price was ridiculous for the wear and tear they had. Yeah, I know you're paying for Toyota quality, reliability, blah, blah, blah....but the pricing was not what I was willing to pay for what I was able to feel, touch and enjoy. Main drawback for me was how close I felt to the passenger.....I like my space, lol.

Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition/Navigator....Too bulky of a truck on the exterior, non communicative driving experience and IMO, under powered when nailing it. Out of all the engines combo's I tried, the Eco Boost V6 felt the best once the vehicle was into 2nd or 3rd gear. Much better than the old 5.4 Triton engine when it came to power. The Tahoes just felt sterile in the driving experience. I could not see myself driving an Escalade as I think they look like an angular mess so I didn't even test drive them.

LR3.........Looked at about 7 or 8 of them. Really liked the driving "feel" of the LR3 more than the LR4. Can't explain it, but it felt more communicative and sporty. Love the LR3/LR4 for their functionality when it comes to interior storage. Not only huge, but more importantly usable space. I could not find one that I liked....either it was beat up, too many miles, interiors that were a mess, etc. Damn, I really like that platform and I do think they'd make the best hardcore off roader for the money. If I get ambitious in the future, I may pick up an LR3 as a project truck, I like them that much.

LR4........Damn, how can soccer moms destroy a vehicle so easily? Man these things were dirty on the inside, under the seats, spilled drinks, etc. Even at dealerships where they should have better pride in the product they are selling (Mercedes, Land Rover, etc) they were messy. I looked at 4 or 5 units that I had pre-inspected via service records, multiple pictures, etc. I would only settle for an Lux model as I wanted power tilt, memory and all the other comforts that come with the Lux model. Biggest problem with the LR4....I just didn't like the driving feel as much as the LR3. I also think it felt more like it wallowed than what I cared for. Nearly every LR4 I looked at had issues under them with leaks, impacted mud and debri, lots of body paint scrapes, etc. From a utilitarian standpoint that has good luxury, good power and great off road capability, nothing comes close to the LR4. Last problem with the LR4 is cost, they seem to really hold their value and low mile units really demand a premium.

Range Rover Sport........We already own one, wife bought a new 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. She has 60k miles on it already and it has been a great truck. We take it to the dealer religiously for service. It's had a few minor issues (most that we did not realize but were found by the dealer during services) and one issue that I do think would have sidelined the vehicle was a bad injector at approximately 40k. It idled very rough to the point I knew something was seriously wrong and not drive the vehicle. Every issue has been covered under warranty or the extended warranty. Truck will get 18 mpg at a moving average of 70 mph from Vegas to Sacramento. Seats are great even after an 8 hour drive, no soreness or pains. The handling defies an SUV of this size and weight. The active roll bar system should be standard on every SUV made IMO.

Range Rover L322.......I was only considering the 2010 to 2012 units since they had the 5.0 and I was looking for something without a ton of miles on it. I didn't need a Supercharged version, but when looking at pricing it wasn't that much more than non supercharged trucks but gave you a lot more options and features. Plus, I love the cooled seats and the locking rear diff is a bonus if so equipped. I really like the look of the more square bodied Range Rovers...the 2013 and newer full sized units often look like a Ford Explorer to me. Awesome trucks but I don't want to have it look like a Kia Sorento either. When comparing Land Rover trucks, the L322 chassis seems just so much more substantial than the LR4/Range Rover Sport. The A-arms, frame sections, etc just seem so much more beefy. I love the feel of the L322....I like the upright driving stance and the visibility. I hate trucks with a bulbous hood (had a 2008 Toyota Sequoia that was just stupid to look over) and love how the Land Rover trucks have short, down sloping hoods. Best part of my Range Rover to me is how it feels when driving on the road....it just fits me so good. The cost of the used L322 platform is a bargain....most are used by businessmen or folks with older or no kids that don't beat on the cars. Not as popular for the soccer mom crowd as the LR3/LR4 platform. You can pick up an equivalent miles, year and condition L322 for less than an LR4 from what I found.

Bad parts is not so great storage (I think our Sport can handle just as much cargo), no power rear hatch (spoiled by the RRS hatch) and its infotainment system is not the fastest to respond compared to newer (and way cheaper) cars. Fuel mileage sucks for all the trucks on my list in stop and go city driving. Not a lot of aftermarket support but I do think this will grow as I see the L322 platform being used for more off road platforms because of the low cost for what you are getting. Even stock these trucks will go over silly difficult terrain.

clint70

Looking at buying a L322 (2005)

After reading this thread, I feel better equipped. Everyone here has provided pros/cons and common RR issues. I found this L322 which has all it's maint records from purchase to now. It has also had all the major issues either addressed or inspected and parts replaced. For example:

1. New timing chain
2. New transmission
3. All fluids changed at the 3 - 4K mi intervals

I am seriously considering this for my DD and Overland truck... but looking for thoughts on what items I should look closely at... the vehicle is from the west coast (Portland, Oregon) seems to be super clean and in good shape. The price is my other concern, the price is 9500.00. This seems to be in the realm of reasonable for a RR in good shape and with all the right maint. done.

The shop seems to be the reputable LR shop in Portland, and they have maintained it since it was out of warranty from the Portland LR dealership. All seems good.. but I am open to the other enthusiast input / guidance.

Cheers!

99Discovery

Adventurer
Here are my thoughts. On previous threads I said: Get the JAG ENGINED '07 and up!! Like everyone else. I test drove a 2011 and it was awesome! I was nearly ready to trade my truck in on one, but then priorities changed and the L322 dream went away.

Then last year I began looking for a commuter. And guess what? An '03 BMW engined L322, single owner, dealer serviced, full records (in fact it was sold at the dealer) came up for < $10k with slightly over 100k miles. I test drove it on a whim (I was waiting to look at an LR3 and a Range Rover Sport and a Jag powered '07 L322), but it was so clean I decided to take the savings and risk the M62 BMW engine (which I had on an old 540i, so I knew what I was getting into.

My thoughts after driving both:

1) BMW L322s are...well....BMW "feel". Awesome, awesome driving dynamic, from the steering on up. The Jag powered 2011, remember, I said it was the best car I had driven, is MUCH tighter on the highway and feels much more sporty. That said, the BMW L322 feels more "rover like" and still can "hunker down" in highway-mode to give you some highway performance but there is no denying more body roll. The rumor is that Jag powered updates changed and retuned the air-suspension for road-performance. You lose an estimate 2" of articulation or more in exchange for tighter highway handling. I can't verify this, but I can confirm that 03-05 L322s have different air springs than the later models. And guess what? The early L322s have updated high-quality Arnott springs available at a good price. With Jag L322s, you are limited to expensive factory springs (unless you can retrofit the early models), which kind of sucks. edit: I just checked arnott's website and it looks like they now have 06+ springs and spring rebuild kits. So that is nice.

2) Diagnostics and customizability is much easier on the early units: You can buy the little OBD2 programmer for $400 and have the ability to custom tune the suspension of the BMW unit using the BMW computer. You can't do this on the units with the TFT screen (2010+?) at all, and I think you can get a testbook type programmer for the jag units, but I believe it is more money? If you are planning a johnson rod lift, the BMW units will give you more flexibility. (correct me if I'm wrong).

3) 4-lo off-road mapping of the throttle response is AWESOME with the M62. You can search my previous posts and you'll see that I was always annoyed they used the M62 in an off-road application. I was wrong. Throttle response is phenomenal. I still think the engine runs to hot and the cooling system is supsect. I'm looking into a modular thermostat housing that the 7-series guys use with fgood results, but plan to spend $$ to replace the entire cooling system every 80-100k miles to be on the safe side. It's not a lot of money and an easy job on the BMW motor when you consider the price difference between a BMW L322 and a Jag one.

4) Off-road goodies and tech are better on the Jag units. R&D just got better. Same with terrain response. That doesn't mean the BMW DSC is bad, it just means terrain response (especially with HD locker package) is better. The surround-camera system on the 2011 I saw was phenomenal.

5) Brush guards can be found for BMW units. Facelift units they won't work, you are stuck fabbing your own.

6) Likewise, armor and skid plates are hard to come by. Some european places can get you sliders, but you are spending a lot to ship over seas. This is the primary advantage of the LR3 or L322 over the L322. It just stinks that it was a low-volume production vehicle and most owners weren't off-roaders. Now they are cheaper, I hope to see more R&D in this area. The unibody makes it really hard to mount stuff though.

7) 18" wheels will fit all BMW units and Jag units (non supercharged) up to 2010. 2010+, even non-supercharged, comp-automotive said theirs would clear the calipers but they could not confirm. This is huge, as the 19" and 20" tire selection SUCKS. Expensive and crappy tires. The biggest overland red-flag with the L322 (or any modern rover for that matter).

8) Motor is relatively easy to work on and the electronics aren't that complicated with the BMW system. Most maintenance can be figured out easy between the X5 and the L322 forums. The vanos on the engine being the biggest issue (as long as you keep the cooling system operational) and you can even service the ZF trans using ZF Transmissions own factory youtube video and service manual. I'm not sure you can do that with the 6-spd?

Anyway, I was waaaaaay against the BMW L322 rovers, now I'm a proud owner. They are a bit different and require a bit more preventative maintenance, but I also think they are truer to the off-road spirit of Land Rover and are simply fantastic to drive off-road. I bought mine as a daily driver (my off-road rig is a D2 and my wife has an H3 if we ever needed off-road with a bit of highway performance), but now I'm going out of my way to take the L322 off pavement even with the crappy Blizzak snow tires on 19" rims..

Last edited:

titantom

LR322 is a great offroad BUT its been a pain. I have a 2003 hse and have recently rebuilt the transmission, and replaced the timing chain and related components all around 140k miles. after you fix those then you are only left with the nuisance of the inactive suspension which is easily overcome with a proper scanner. Coolant has to be BMW coolant, no other, and well they all pretty much leak a tad bit of oil somewhere.... There are roof rails, foot rails, and about one brush guard on the whole planet. Not many options for accessories when it comes to off roading. Its a shame to because its a monster of an offroader. I have a second one i use for spare parts that i recently bought but i have not had to touch it, ...yet. From what i have learned, once the timing chain issue is resolved and transmission rebuilt like in mine then you are solid for another 100k miles at least . I also have a 2014 RR Evoque as a daily commuter and just cant wait for weekends to drive the HSE. hope this helps.

Last edited:

leftlanetruckin

Blanket statements.....Love them.
A looked after BMW rig will be better than a beat up Jag rig, every day.
We've owned the '03 for @6years. I did the VANOS, timing guides etc. Then normal maintenance.
I guess everyone crowing on about the 5.0's never heard of the timing issues they have also now?? Yeah, plastic guides.
For a trail rig, a BMW era MkIII is hard to beat.
I'd stay away from the '09-'11 (IIRC) rigs, as they had the crap timing guides that let go.
At least the BMW engines give LOTS of warning that it isn't happy.
I just picked up a "spare" '03 for $500 last week. Bearing in trans shot due to bad o ring. Total parts under $50 if I stop there. Ignition key wouldn't turn, so drilled a hole in the column lock and lubricated. All fixed. The support for the earlier ones is much better than the later rigs.
I don't care where you spend the money, but a well looked after '03-'05 will always be less headaches than a dubious '06 onwards.
I've obviously worked a lot on our (well the wifes) '03 myself, and other folks' Jag engined models that had dubious history's. I'll stick to the '03 any day. My diagnostic kit talks to anything up to 2012 IIRC, so that isn't an issue. Just easier to find sneaky fixes to the BMW stuff.
Just my .02

Martin

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Blanket statements.....Love them.
A looked after BMW rig will be better than a beat up Jag rig, every day.

No it won't. Even a well kept BMW engined truck will have the interior falling part way more than a rough later truck. The BMW motor can barely make it to 30k miles without leaking oil. I've seen plenty of the 4.2/4.4s with 200k+ miles and they are bone dry. Genuine parts are generally more expensive for the BMW engine as well.

We've owned the '03 for @6years. I did the VANOS, timing guides etc. Then normal maintenance.
I guess everyone crowing on about the 5.0's never heard of the timing issues they have also now?? Yeah, plastic guides.

I don't know what 5.0 engine you are talking about, but the Land Rover 5.0 doesn't use guides made completely of plastic. The guide assembly is made of metal and there is plastic which the chain rides on. The place is not what fails. Even when the metal guides do fail, which is 100% due to lack of maintenance, it is a cheap and easy fix. The guides and tensioners can be replaced without removing the timing chain. Compare that to the BMW engine...

I'd stay away from the '09-'11 (IIRC) rigs, as they had the crap timing guides that let go.

As I said before, only an issue of lack of maintenance. Also, the timing chain issue is something that gradually gets worse over time, so there is warning. I've seen one 5.0 with the guide broken in half, and it still didn't cause any issues other than noise.

99Discovery

Adventurer
I test drove multiple jag units that were all junk. The nice ones were all waaay to much $$. Dollar per dollar, at least in my region, a well taken care of BMW unit is far superior to a Jag one.

I wanted a Jag unit, but now I have a BMW L322 I'm glad I did "avoid them like the plague". Things to like:

1) 180F Thermostat mod available to protect the plastics and timing guides. There is a lot of research indicating that most of the issues with the later M62s stems from the fact it uses a 105F thermostat with electric heating element (that's a whoppin' 219F!!) The earlier M62 engines had 'regular' stats and typically go well over 200k miles without "chain guide" issues or even exploding cooling systems.

2) Torsen transfer case is awesome. It's a shame they went away from it, but they had to for Terrain Response. The Torsen is 100% Mechanical torque bias so you don't get "mumbo jumbo" electronics doing stuff. Couple that with electric traction control at the axles and you have a phenomenal rig.

3) '03-'05 (maybe '06) units arguably flex more, the articulation was lost when Ford tinkered with the suspension for better highway ride.

4) Electronics suite compatible with e39 and X5 means that there are a LOT of options for adding/upgrading DVD/bluetooth/gps/android systems etc. that function well and look stock.

5) RAVE is available for complete maintenance, just like the Disco and earlier models. Transmission is supported by ZF, it's possible to rebuild (if needed) on your own for cheap.

6) M62 engine support is easily available on youtube, forums, etc. since it was used in many models of vehicles.

The guy about with "blanket statements" was correct. I'm glad I didn't ignore the well maintained '03 Range Rover I purchased and bought the crappy '06 and '07s that I was looking about simply because they were Jag powered.

Pros and Cons to each model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier