Range Rover LR322

Evening all !

I am located in the NE USA and currently looking for a new vehicle. A few years back I built up and eventually sold an 09' Wrangler Unlimited. It was reliable, capable and well within my mechanical skills. I never saw a fraction of Expeditions I had hoped but did some wheeling in the NE including Rausch Creek PA. While I thoroughly enjoyed the JKU from its first to last day I currently believe they are grossly overpriced new and used.

I have been considering a used LR3 but after some searching have been coming across lower mileage, more pedestrian/suburban used and better priced Range Rovers. I have undertaken considerable research into the LR3 and believe it is more than suitable for my off road expectations. On the contrary I am not familiar with the Range Rover and would like to know EP Forums thoughts on this vehicle.

Reliability vs. LR3?
Repair & Maintenance expenses vs. LR3?
Available modifications?
Articulation/capability?
Expected repairs at 90-110K Miles?
General thoughts?

I currently use my present vehicle as a station car at 3-6 miles a day and average less than 10,000 Miles a year. Whatever I buy I plan to spend the next 12 months troubleshooting, maintaining, planning mods, evaluating shortcomings and getting to know my purchase with the expectation that over time I will progressively hit trails and make new ones.

The caveat to all of the foregoing is that I am a single vehicle household. Though I have traditionally done all of my own work, I need a reliable vehicle.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Btw.. I love Jeeps; this thread is not a referendum on Jeeps.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Don't buy anything pre-2006 for the L322, it will grenade. Probably best to stay away from the supercharged models too unless you're looking at a 2010+ with a 5.0L.

Other thoughts:
I don't know how handy you are, but if you take trips to Home Depot more than twice a month I would stick to the LR3 just for utility and capacity. With crossbars on the roof and all the seats folded down flat you can haul quite a bit of lumber.

Ray_G

Explorer
The aftermarket for the LR3 isn't terribly large (but growing). The L322's is even smaller. There are ways to sidestep this or overcome it mind you, but just bear that in mind.

That said, the 06 & up platform (as noted) is pretty good. Pre 06 doesn't seem to be nearly as reliable. I have a friend who loves his as a DD. It will do great off road but you have some built in limitations with 20" wheels, lack of comprehensive armor...and the cost of busting up sheet metal either mentally and or financially!

Colin Hughes

Explorer
One consideration/plus for the L322 is wiring. It doesn't have the same exposed Canbus wires that the LR3, LR4 and RRS have. Being in the NE, you are going to have salt like we have up in Canada. At least once, each of the past two winters, the Christmas tree dash has come up, drop to bumps and a tow to the shop to have the corroded Can-bus wired fixed. It's not an if, it's a when. I have purchased the extra protection sleeve that LR came out with. We'll see if it helps this winter. We've had lots of salt and snow already ...

Don't buy anything pre-2006 for the L322, it will grenade. Probably best to stay away from the supercharged models too unless you're looking at a 2010+ with a 5.0L.

Other thoughts:
I don't know how handy you are, but if you take trips to Home Depot more than twice a month I would stick to the LR3 just for utility and capacity. With crossbars on the roof and all the seats folded down flat you can haul quite a bit of lumber.

I plan to buy 06' forward and will be staying away from the supercharged models on a keep it simple stupid philosophy. I have a turbo charged vehicle and my most recent repair included intercooler replacement damaged by a negligent road obstruction. Having owned a few vehicles I have concluded that cars don't "crossover" well into multiple categories and generally end up with short comings in all categories. Go slow is my preferred speed in an SUV.

I have not compared interior volumes and though the LR3 probably has greater vertical room I am guessing either will suffice. Home Depot runs are slow these days but I am the family go to when something needs picking up. Personally, my use ranges from hunting/camping/shooting/mountain bike duty to Christmas Tree shopping.

I knew my Jeep inside out, carried my tools, and did my own repairs. Now, my GF will be driving more and I'd prefer not retrieve her and the RR or LR from the side of the road. I'd also prefer if she sees the signs/lights and doesn't bomb the engine on me.

No roof accessories for the LR322 yet? do the seats fold flat as well

The aftermarket for the LR3 isn't terribly large (but growing). The L322's is even smaller. There are ways to sidestep this or overcome it mind you, but just bear that in mind.

That said, the 06 & up platform (as noted) is pretty good. Pre 06 doesn't seem to be nearly as reliable. I have a friend who loves his as a DD. It will do great off road but you have some built in limitations with 20" wheels, lack of comprehensive armor...and the cost of busting up sheet metal either mentally and or financially!

Though the 06' LR received the terrain system/knob, I believe the 07' saw the introduction of the terrain system in the RR. However, I believe both switched to the Jaguar motor 06' forward. Accordingly, unless the forum tells me otherwise I am considering a 06 RR. I am wondering if the system is merely somewhat better or lightyears ahead of the outgoing controls.

Do all of the RR arrive with 20's ?
Are bottom skids available?
Exterior.. is the exterior. Either will get banged up.

One consideration/plus for the L322 is wiring. It doesn't have the same exposed Canbus wires that the LR3, LR4 and RRS have. Being in the NE, you are going to have salt like we have up in Canada. At least once, each of the past two winters, the Christmas tree dash has come up, drop to bumps and a tow to the shop to have the corroded Can-bus wired fixed. It's not an if, it's a when. I have purchased the extra protection sleeve that LR came out with. We'll see if it helps this winter. We've had lots of salt and snow already ...

Thanks for the tip on the Wiring. Upon the recommendation of a reputable repair shop near me I passed on an LR with this issue. Brake lines were pretty bad as well. Electrical gremlins are big problem for the diy. Would you recommend immediately swapping the airbags to springs?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Thanks for the tip on the Wiring. Upon the recommendation of a reputable repair shop near me I passed on an LR with this issue. Brake lines were pretty bad as well. Electrical gremlins are big problem for the diy. Would you recommend immediately swapping the airbags to springs?

I've replaced the rear brake lines on mine as well. I have an ongoing issue with the front end dropping and have swapped a lot of things, it gets better for a bit, then starts dropping again. If I keep,it, I'll likely switch to springs, I just like the adjustable eas for towing so it's a tough call. Mines about to hit 321,000 Kim's.

matches130

Organizer
https://youtu.be/QJNO6p54bUI
If you want to buy a Range Rover, DON'T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
c1bb751a503c099deb510b6eb6180d5e.jpg

lwg

What exactly do you mean? Not challenging you, just want to better understand this, sounds very plausible.

ColoDisco

Explorer
07 and up. 06 is kind of a bastard year. Has the jag engine but who knows what wiring harness, I had one that had a 08 style harness which made it very difficult to diagnose.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
The wiring on the LR3, LR4 and RRS in a couple of places, primarily around the rear drivers side wheel arch, is exposed to outside elements. When salt and brine (even worse in my opinion), gets into the can-bus harness, it corrodes the wires, they short against each other and the truck is dead in the water. The FFRR wiring is not exposed like that. Of course, there are more wires running along the floor on the outside of the driver and passenger footwells but these were all repaired just before I bought the LR3 and I'm careful to keep salty snow from melting into the carpet areas there during the winter. My feet stay on the rubber mats.
What exactly do you mean? Not challenging you, just want to better understand this, sounds very plausible.

vitola231

Observer
I have a 2007 l322 supercharged, my wife has a 2006 lr3 with v6. On hers the body is mint and seems better. There are more accessories available for hers. She had a ride hight sensor replaced and a compressor. I don't find it comfortable and it's harder on gas, if you go lr3 go v8 and get with better interior. My L322 has some rust and it does do some glitchy things like steering wheel tilting to odd positions sometimes. When we go off-road or any long trip we take the L322. For off-road the Range Rover is great, it has enough power to idle up a steep hill without touching gas. As for suspension, mine is all original, hers has the hight sensor and compressor changed and I'm not so sure the problem was actually the compressor, think it may have been leaking pipe really. Both vehicles are 10 years old and I can say the air suspension is no concern really. 10 year old coil spring based struts let go also, air struts aren't much more really. For a Land Rover you could buy 4 new ride hight sensors and have them installed, for that matter you could do the two distribution blocks also, not much money. I personally would pull up carpet and redo all the crimp connections via soldering and heat shrink. I made my own rock sliders, rack and bars, stuff was available but I just didn't like any of it. Will make G4 style skid plates next.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles