Charging batteries, the small kind...

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Most of us have solar systems these days and most of us use flashlights or some sort or devices with AA, AAA C & D batteries, right?

Is there a device that can charge these smaller batteries from our solar panels/house batteries ? It seems a rather simple, easy and very environmentally friendly but I'm clueless as to find this device.

Please share your knowledge, thank you.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
On Amazon search for, "aa battery charger for car". You'll find a million.

I only do AA rechargeables, but I use them a lot. I have one of these that I got years ago at Radio Shack for 3 bucks. Works fine:

21bnyM4xezL.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I used to put rechargeable AAs in my FRS and GMRS radios, and in early digital cameras, but I found that their useful life on a full charge was much less than I got from a fresh set of alkalines. So I went back to alkalines.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I use rechargable AAs for LED lanterns, mini-Maglites, etc., as well as a battery powered toothbrush, a Braun electric shaver and a small set of Bluetooth speakers. Love 'em.

I use alkalines in my two 4 x Dcell Maglites.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
27xqn2b.jpg

This is what I was thinking about, thanks for the push in the right direction.

One tip....

Any time you have a device like the one pictured that uses a "brick" transformer.

MANY utilize a DC output of 5V or 12V

What that means is that you can snip the wires from the brick, and direct wire them up to USB (5Vdc) or 12Vdc outlet like a cig lighter.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I used to put rechargeable AAs in my FRS and GMRS radios, and in early digital cameras, but I found that their useful life on a full charge was much less than I got from a fresh set of alkalines. So I went back to alkalines.

You might find that's been reversed now with high quality rechargeables like Eneloops - they'll recharge hundreds of times AND last longer per set than alkalines. Plus, no more pulling them out of the drawer a month after you charged them and finding they've lost much of their charge.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
You might find that's been reversed now with high quality rechargeables like Eneloops - they'll recharge hundreds of times AND last longer per set than alkalines. Plus, no more pulling them out of the drawer a month after you charged them and finding they've lost much of their charge.
I suspect you are correct, but alkaline AAs have gotten to be so cheap that I'm not sure I want to try rechargeables again. I'm also not using nearly as many batteries as I used to.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
you can get the opus btc3100 for 10 dollars more than the opus btc2400 (about 45) and charge the 18650 lithiums use in some flashlights beside all the aa / aaa.

Its the charger I have and used it to charge 100's of lithiums, charges discharges measures capacity of batteries. Its the best charger available and will run from a 12 volt dc source if you got the right plug. It also has a built in cooling fan. Can charge and discharge 4 lithium 18650 batteries at the same time charge each cell at 1 amp discharge each cell at 1 amp.

Another charger is the foxnovo 4s, similar to the opus btc3100 but only cost 30 dollars. But it doesnt show as much info on the lcd. But it will show the capacity of your batteries which is important at this price point. Its only drawback is that it has very loud alarm and no cooling fan. Can charge 4 lithium 18650 batteries at the same time charge at 1 amp but discharge only at .5 amp.

I like knowing the capacity of my batteries, thats why these are the only 2 chargers I use for my small batteries. They get alot of use. If you have alot of 18650 to test, the higher charge/discharge capability of the btc3100 cant be beat. Its what I would recommend.

When I build my 94 amp hour 3s lithium battery pack. I used a single opus btc3100 to test all 168 1ithium 18650 batteries that I had to use. Its dependable for constant use.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I suspect you are correct, but alkaline AAs have gotten to be so cheap that I'm not sure I want to try rechargeables again. I'm also not using nearly as many batteries as I used to.

he's correct, in my experience. And not only are the eneloops higher capacity, they also stay fully charged for an amazingly long time.

Reading this thread I realize I want a direct 12v charger for them. Closest thing I have to a portable is this 'solar wallet' by PowerFilm, which charges AA, which then power a 5V USB port to power small devices.

powerfilm06.jpg
powerfilm02.jpg

SameGuy

Observer
Nitecore makes great smart chargers that can charge anything from NICAD to LIPO, with some giving you way more of formation than you ever wanted t know about the health and charge state of your batteries. They are inexpensive and you can get a 12 volt cig adapter for mom at if not all of them. Candlepower forum has a million threads about chargers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94