Garmin InReach Explorer+

Dalko43

Explorer
I would pay a considerable sum for it. I'd like to carry ONE device to meet all these needs. I'd carry it if it weighed 1.5 lbs. I'd pack it if it were the size of an iPhone 6+ and an inch thick. I'd pay a monthly fee to use it, and I'd pay a monthly fee to keep it "alive" in preparation to use it. This technology is available to these companies.

We are in desperate need for the "Apple" of GPS devices. Fix my problems. Let me do what I'd like to. Make it easy. We will pay for it!

LOL. /RANT

^ Agreed. I would gladly pay top dollar for that kind of device, because it would essentially take care of all your navigational and communication needs.

I think the explorer+ is a good step in the right direction, but it's still lacking dog collar tracking and, from what I understand, doesn't have full compatibility with Garmin's other digital maps.

danmedeiros

Observer
Does anybody know if the old or new in reach allows a tablet to access position data? Can it be used similar to a garmin glo and allow you to use an app like gia?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
^ Agreed. I would gladly pay top dollar for that kind of device, because it would essentially take care of all your navigational and communication needs.

I think the explorer+ is a good step in the right direction, but it's still lacking dog collar tracking and, from what I understand, doesn't have full compatibility with Garmin's other digital maps.

Yeah, it's a step in the right direction - but the Garmin/Delorme integration is still in early days. It takes years to develop products.

I like the core inReach functionality, but the UI reminds me of an early cell phone not a modern smart phone. Garmin does a much better job of this, but I would guess we are still a couple of years off from seeing the real payoff in terms of functionality.

robgendreau

Explorer
Does anybody know if the old or new in reach allows a tablet to access position data? Can it be used similar to a garmin glo and allow you to use an app like gia?

The old one (and I assume the new ones) both connect to iOS or Android apps, which provide tracking and other features. Apparently we're now using Garmin's maps instead of Delorme's, as I had to download some new ones and aerial imagery recently. They're pretty nice maps though, although haven't used 'em much out in the boonies.

The app can also access your contacts, and send messages.

Dalko43

Explorer
The old one (and I assume the new ones) both connect to iOS or Android apps, which provide tracking and other features. Apparently we're now using Garmin's maps instead of Delorme's, as I had to download some new ones and aerial imagery recently. They're pretty nice maps though, although haven't used 'em much out in the boonies.

The app can also access your contacts, and send messages.

I'm pretty sure we're still using Delorme's proprietary maps. I've downloaded some maps for new areas, and they look to be the same as what I've downloaded before. The only difference I see is a new map layer called "open street map" but it looks very similar to the generic "digital atlas" layer that Delorme has provided in the past. Garmin now owns Delorme though, so the lines on what is really a Delorme map vs a Garmin one may soon get blurred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles