Garmin InReach Explorer+

CrazyMike

Garmin InReach Explorer+

On January 5th, 2016, I received a promotional email from Garmin regarding some new products. One of which is the InReach Explorer+.

I purchased a Delorme InReach SE last May from REI and with the announcement of this device I'm seriously considering returning my (still unused) InReach SE for the newer Explorer+ if it's got a Garmin navigation system. I'd much rather have one unit that performs both functions than carry the InReach SE and my 60csx while backpacking.

Anyone here have any links to more information than the above link??? TIA

I had the exact same thoughts and questions. I really don't like delormes maps compared to garmin's. A LOT of trails are missing that even show up on my factory Tacoma nav. However, what I found on garmin's site https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

•inReach Explorer+ device adds preloaded DeLorme® TOPO maps with onscreen GPS routing plus built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer

so it looks like they are sticking with delorme maps on the new Explorer+

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Yup. Towards the bottom there is an asterisk stating "Garmin maps will not work on the inReach Explorer+". I'm paraphrasing here. When I heard that Garmin bought DeLorme I was really excited. "You watch, they are going to finally make an all-in-one outdoor communication/location device!".

It's really a bummer that they didn't do that. Looks like all they did was "Plug the same old Delorme into a pretty new case". Of course, they remembered to charge more money for it. I'm sure that there is some silly little software feature that has been added, but I can't remember what it was.

If they were to make a device that put us in control of our maps, had two-way texting to outer space, and had a qwerty keyboard I would pay $1000.00 bucks for it. I'll bet a lot of other peeps would too. Well, maybe not a LOT of peeps.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I think it is going to take (at least) another product generation for the garmin mapping products and the delorme products to fully harmonize. Today with an InReach Explorer you need a phone or pad with maps to get full topo functionality. My understanding is that the InReach Explorer+ will bring that onboard (but not all the Garmin mapping/navigation).

I'm looking forward to seeing what Garmin/Delorme bring to Expo West this year, and what their plans are for the future. The InReach Explorer+ looks good but not sure it is going to convince me to move up from my InReach Explorer to it (yet).

bhguy

Observer
Hey guys....thinking of buying ans inreach explorer to replace the spot i have. Overall would you buy it again or not?....for hiking, mountaineering, and overland purposes in that order.

Thanks in advance

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Hey guys....thinking of buying ans inreach explorer to replace the spot i have. Overall would you buy it again or not?....for hiking, mountaineering, and overland purposes in that order.

It might have sounded like I was sour above, but I love my InReach. Mine doesn't have the maps, but weather reports and being able to say goodnight to my wife on a trip make it worth the cost. Of course, engine trouble, broken leg, crazy meth head...no problem. Just text for help.

If I lost it I would buy it again. But, I would get the one with maps next time.

Mine is paired with an iPhone (because you can text with the iPhone keyboard...much easier) and the App works very well. This way you get topos on your phone. I stopped carrying all of my Garmin GPS units and now just carry the iPhone and the InReach.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Oh, and, if you pick one up, go with the plan that costs about $15 bucks a month to start. I think it's 20 text messages included & a fee for anything over (10 cents each or so). They will let you "up" the plan at anytime. It's best to start small and keep a few bucks aside for overage charges. I've never upgraded the plan and the highest bill so far was about $30.00 one month.

Raul B

Explorer
I have the now "old" in reach and love it. The piece of mind of being able to contact family while I'm in the middle of nowhere is worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bhguy

Observer
Thats exactly why i dont like the spot...no 2 way and the time it takes to send a message. Big thanks to all those who replied

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The new InReach looks really slick and the integrated topo maps is something that really adds to the package.

We've had the "old" InReach for some time now and really like it. I'm not ready to run out and buy new hardware, but I think it will help with new unit sales.

dstock

Explorer
We have the InReach SE after having a first generation Spot. It works great, no issues, battery life is great as well. While it would be a good back up to have the Explorer as a handheld stand alone GPS, the screen is so small I can't see it being someone's ONLY GPS. Does work pretty well for navigation tethered to my phone or tablet with the Earthmate app.

All that said, for the small difference in price I'd probably go for the Explorer if I was going to purchase one today. Either way, great units!

Dalko43

Explorer

Thanks in advance

I'd say that the Delorme Inreach explorer (not SE) is well suited towards that kind of foot-mobile exploration, so long as you have good expectation management. Like others have said, the inreach itself doesn't have full navigational functionality like other Garmin devices (the big feature lacking is digital maps on the inreach). However, if you bring your iphone or other mobile device, which I always do, you can access digital maps (via the earmate app) and pretty much all the other functions (messaging, SOS, weather, tracking, waypoints) on there. The counter-point to that is that most people prefer to not rely on their fragile and relatively expensive phones for that kind of navigational use.

I've taken my iphone and inreach explorer on some backcountry hikes and camping trips; my inreach was strapped to the outside of my pack (it's waterproof and shock resistant, so I wasn't too worried about it, even when I fell into a creek), while I had my iphone in a waterproof bag inside my pack. The setup worked fine, but then again, I rely primarily on a map and compass and only use the inreach's GPS as a fallback. If you're going to constantly rely on your GPS to get to your destination, you might be a bit frustrated at having to pull out your phone, especially in bad weather...so a more traditional Garmin GPS unit might suit you better, but you won't have the messaging capabilities of the Inreach. Mobile phones also lose their charges very quickly in the cold, but then again so do GPS devices....there are tradeoff's to going with either option. The way I see it, as long as you have a good waterproof protection for your phone, the Inreach device paired with a phone works very well, especially if you use it sparingly and rely more on your map and compass work.

My 2 cents anyways...

I had the exact same thoughts and questions. I really don't like delormes maps compared to garmin's. A LOT of trails are missing that even show up on my factory Tacoma nav. However, what I found on garmin's site https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

•inReach Explorer+ device adds preloaded DeLorme® TOPO maps with onscreen GPS routing plus built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer

so it looks like they are sticking with delorme maps on the new Explorer+

Honestly, except for my travels through Canada, I've never had any complaints with Delorme's proprietary maps....after all, they are based on the Delorme paper atlases, which are well-regarded within the overlanding community.

The Eartmate app gives you access to several layers of maps which you can pre-cache on your phone if you're travelling off the grid: Delorme's digital topo map (which is basically the digital version of the paper atlases); traditional quad maps (paper versions of the old orienteering paper maps that backpackers use); satellite imagery (almost on par with Google Earth's imagery); US Nautical maps; a generic digital atlas map. IMHO, you get a much wider variety of options with Delorme's offerings than just about any other mapping company. Does Garmin even offer satellite imagery on their handheld GPS's? And the maps themselves are very detailed at various zoom levels.

My #1 complaint with Delorme's maps on Earthmate is that they lack good, detailed backroads maps for Canada. They have generic maps which cover most of the major, paved routes, but they don't cover many of the logging and hunting roads up there...nor do they have any quad or topo maps comparable to what Garmin and Backroads Map Book offer. Other than that, the Delorme map offerings are pretty extensive and hard to beat. Obviously I would like to see greater compatibility with Garmin's offerings, but if you're traveling in America, you'll be more than fine with what Delorme offers.

Edit: on a side note with the Delorme/Garmin merger, I was hoping to see greater functionality and compatibility with the inreach and Garmin's dog GPS collars, but so far I haven't seen any news regarding that. It shouldn't be too hard to add a new feature (like they did with the weather feature) where you can pick up GPS signals from something like the Garmin T-5. Honestly, the possibilities with something like the Inreach are almost limitless; you could potentially have an all-in-one navigation/messaging/SOS/tracking device...the ball's in Garmin's court to see what they do with this product.

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Edit: on a side note with the Delorme/Garmin merger, I was hoping to see greater functionality and compatibility with the inreach and Garmin's dog GPS collars, but so far I haven't seen any news regarding that.

I agree, I've lost track of a puppy on a hiking trip once and it was a very unpleasant (we kinda like those little turds). I found her eventually (well, two very nice ladies found her and we bumped into each other) and your quote is related to my "grumpy" post towards the beginning of this thread. I understand that "they" want to sell each of us multiple devices with unnecessary "function overlap" and laughably dated tech in an effort to make more money, but, if Garmin or ANY other company were to offer ONE device that had:
1. A QWERTY keyboard that was larger than an iPhone 5s', touchscreen or physical.
2. The ability for us to manage our maps (Garmin maps or anything else)
3. The ability to plan our routes and otherwise manage waypoints via any app or website that is more intuitive and compatible than the "dipweed" Garmin and/or InReach sites
3. Bluetooth or other wireless sync capability for routes and firmware updates
4. Irridium 2 way texting tech
5. Awesome battery life (which the InReach already has)
6. Possible email support when "in the wild" (we can dare to dream)
7. Weather reports (as the InReach has)
8. Waterproof
9. Will store and play .mp3 files via a headphone jack or Bluetooth and not suck in the audio quality department
10. Panic button
11. Dog collar tracking capability

I would pay a considerable sum for it. I'd like to carry ONE device to meet all these needs. I'd carry it if it weighed 1.5 lbs. I'd pack it if it were the size of an iPhone 6+ and an inch thick. I'd pay a monthly fee to use it, and I'd pay a monthly fee to keep it "alive" in preparation to use it. This technology is available to these companies.

We are in desperate need for the "Apple" of GPS devices. Fix my problems. Let me do what I'd like to. Make it easy. We will pay for it!

LOL. /RANT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles