Torque Pro App - Dashboard

whec716

Observer
I'm thinking about running Torque on a dedicated Kindle in my rig. Not really sure why yet, which is why I'm posting this.

I'd love to see your dashboards and hear what data you think is important to have on Torque whilst you are on a expedition.

Thanks!

tarditi

Explorer
I had it on my phone in my Nissan Xterra with a BT OBDII plug. It was clever, but frankly I spent more time in the living room configuring dashboards than I actually use it in real execution in the vehicle. I found the gauges to be a bit twitchy, and the inclinometer widgets were too sensitive to really be useful to me.

What I really wanted was a page of nav aids - like a false horizon, compass, altimeter, etc. with windowed "you are here" map, and then a page of diagnostic data like engine oil temp, exhaust temp, trans temp (when I had auto), voltage, etc. just to keep an eye on the general health of the rig.

I haven't installed torque pro on my new phone, but still have it as "purchased" in my google play store. I may play with it again, now that I have a dedicated GPS in the Jeep. I'll have to dig up my old BT OBDII plug!

Just my $.02

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I play with it some on my phone, haven't been on any significant trips lately so I haven't settled on what I think is important to monitor.

Right now what I think is more important to keep an eye on is engine coolant temp, and battery voltage. I have gauges on my dash for these, but those gauges are range limited, meaning the needle just goes to the middle if it's within tolerance, I can't tell if something is rising or falling until it's already went out of range. I also just like having actual numbers instead of needle positions.

I need some kind of extra programming to make it work on a Nissan but if I figure it out I'd like the On/Off indicator for the electric engine fan. Might be a useful reminder for a water crossing.

I think it works well but I think I would get more use out of it on a tablet. My idea is to eventually get an Android tablet, and have a mapping app up, then use the dashboard plugin to overlay a engine coolant temp gauge. I'd also set some alarms so if I'm off pavement it will yell at me if something is starting to go amiss.

Oh, from what I hear, don't cheap out on the BT adapter. I got one of the better ones for like $30-$40 and it works smooth, the lag is minimal. I mounted it under the dash with zip ties so anytime I'm in the truck and want to access the engine info I can just pull out my phone, links up on it's own when you open the app.

Here is the panel I use on my phone the most that I configured myself. Mostly just fun to watch while driving on the dash mount. The load meter is just cool. Accelerate at all and it sweeps up like your taking off to the moon.

a5gPAqiHdTxi9KjkBUl8ya2dQWlwu_1caAEC4G_LDIPg92saEO_womiZesyBRz-Yh0m_j7Bm86MoVjs8ZUWEvDqHm-FZgT8UZjlOuH4MJVS_YxsVAy2rKdcJDieZfByLzXwDZLC2vntYOg8SwuHywfz-zf1bkvJbu9JcBPYJiGg9VlhyHc_zQorVJet9VK2WMsaCnBgDQ-8YIrErD5G9KcsmNFefOLwhYRa0tesHwXZtSx6LWZZTAv3GJ4YaFPniwo4x1tHSZ8Q0F0SkvSeakToJrPRsfC2iE1gAe1F3gt-F5i-P2C3PAY6-y5td2mEIZQ9RmHLz9QCnc4Xtctg_w_5y_-FsoliAOkeaX202DvEixiAiU_mYLO2lWo2k9k9lHBNODDSa8Mho0MADERXdLcALDYANOmL6ID3mOgXGIynB6zRRpD3aOuwOIAQj1rU1t_t6UJL4Gohyf8kLEZzpfHm24Qq0vNw9vcccIwmtjS1hsJOjfUqWofDAYWqwOZrcpGllPOc6gGaNanFZ64B-P7hqpLQAfKpqI1otb0uXN2iLXMXZ0OUlWtlaH0MrZ_bRzf0F4FGRSSuo7F5n0K4vKoerk3sH_bsv0Sbx2Ut1-LDxd5oIOpGd=w492-h874-no

AaronK

Explorer
I use it to monitor my temperatures. It's nice to have an actual number for coolant temp instead of a vague gauge. And my truck doesn't have anything for the transmission until it's so hot the idiot light comes on so it's nice to watch that too.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

dms1

Explorer
I have been looking into these kind of apps recently, so far the displays look horrendous IMHO. I am looking to replace my scangauge and just need to monitor my RPM, Voltage, Speed, Trans Temp and Engine Temp with a digital display and a way to clear an occasional P0420 code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94