Toyota 90 Series LC Prado

lugueto

Adventurer
Hello,

I'd like to introduce a new-to-me vehicle: a 90 series Land Cruiser.

This might not be a common sight for you guys in the states, but they're pretty popular down here. This is actually my third 90 series, its replacing one really similar to it and its the most comprehensively modded one I've had/built to date.

Here she is the day I bought it:

And this is the one she replaced:

I purchased it because it was in far better shape than my previous one, and that's a pretty tough feat. I knew the previous owner pretty well, he rarely used it and it had some pretty interesting performance mods, while my engine was bone stock. So the plan was to transfer every piece of equipment from the previous 90 to this one, and have pretty much the same vehicle but with a better performing powerplant.

And this is what it looks like now:

This truck, as well as the previous ones, is a daily driver. It is also used for camping, fishing and hunting trips lasting anywhere from a weekend to two weeks. It serves the purpose well when transporting me, my girl and my dogs.

Here's the specs:

2007 RZJ90 Land Cruiser Prado
3RZ 2.7l I4
5 speed manual

Performance:
- K&N FIPK Cold Air Intake (sans the conical air filter)
- LCE Performance Performance Package (Polished intake manifold, throttle body and injectors)
- LCE Performance Performance long tube headers
- Magnaflow straight through muffler
- Unichipped

Dyno'd at ~180rwhp on 33's with stock gearing. The best part is, these gains don't affect reliability at all.

Exterior:
- 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer ST tires
- OME Medium load lift
- TMT Front Bumper
- Viper 4WD Rocksliders
- Viper 4WD tow bar
- Inti roof rack
- Marlin Crawler T-Case skidplate
- 60 liter (16 gallon) Auxiliary fuel tank, for a total of 150l (40 gallons) of fuel. Good for around 650 miles (1000km)
- Safari Snorkel

Lighting:
- 7" round headlights with OEM headlight surrounds, a very rare option.
- Osram Nightbreaker headlight bulbs
- KC Hilites Rally 800 130W spotlights
- Rigid Industries Dually foglights
- Rigid Industries Dually reverse light

Interior:
- JVC upgraded audio system
- LED dome lights
- Weathertech floor mats
- Additional 12V sockets for fridges, inverters, etc.
- Leather seats
- Marlin Crawler Twin Stick transfer case adapter kit.
- Blue sea aux fusebox running all non-stock circuits.
- Carling Switches all around

Comms/Navigation:
- Garmin GPSMAP 62S
- Yaesu 2900R
- Larsen Antenna
- Baofeng UV5R as an aux radio or for a spotter.

Camping:
- Anaconda RTT
- 2m Awning

A few pictures while on its first fishing trips:

lugueto

Adventurer
Thank you sir, will do. She's due for a couple more trips before the end of the month. I'll keep posting.

lugueto

Adventurer
Thank you! a few more pics from December:

These sandy doubletracks are our rig's bread and butter: Pretty much the standard way in and out of our fishing spots

They're also extremely beautiful and fun to drive through at high speeds. You need to mind the sand though, and know where it gets deep. Hit a sand bog at 50mph and you'll probably end up wrong-side-up.

All that driving is done for peacock bass fishing..

Arktikos

Explorer
Hello,

I'd like to introduce a new-to-me vehicle: a 90 series Land Cruiser.

This might not be a common sight for you guys in the states, but they're pretty popular down here. This is actually my third 90 series, its replacing one really similar to it and its the most comprehensively modded one I've had/built to date...

Love it. Too bad these aren't available in the US.

lugueto

Adventurer
Love it. Too bad these aren't available in the US.

well, these 90s are basically a two door version of third gen 4Runner.

The four door version (95 series) share the exact same chassis, drivetrain and powertrain components with the 4WD third gen 4runners. They also share the powertrain and front end with the first gen Tacomas, so you do have pretty similar vehicles stateside. We didn't get the diesel powered ones, so I cant comment on those.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Great fishing pics! Nice 'Cruiser too! Are the headlights stock on both of your Prados? I don't remember seeing the round ones before. What year was your previous one?

lugueto

Adventurer
Both Prados have stock headlight assemblies. The 7" round headlight assemblies were stock for the first model years, I believe. We never had those early model ones, so the PO bought them overseas and installed them.

The previous one is actually one model-year newer than the current one. The previous one was a 2008 model and the current one is a 2007 model. Despite the year difference, they are exactly the same vehicle.

Martinrav

Nice Prado Lugueto! Congratulations! I've just bought my first one, also a 90 series RZJ90 we get them as imports from Japan here in New Zealand only that it's a 1996 as the 2007 and 2008 look way different here and that is the one I liked best since a kiddo.

I want to take my kayak in the roof for the fishing trips but I'll try to avoid the roof rack at this stage as it wouldn't fit under my carport if installed. Instead I'm loooking at the rails like you've got on the first picture when you first bought yours. How do those cross bars fit? I've got the lateral ones but can't seem to find the cross bars anywhere neither it seems to have a fitting for them. Where these custom build?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Muchas gracias y que disfrutes de las aventuras y buena pesca con la nueva camioneta! Por las fotos ya lo has estado haciendo!

Cheers!

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
Martin, yeah, we never had the 120-150 series Prados. Our 90 series were manufactured up until 2009.

Those cross bars are pretty much the same height as the aluminum roof rack I had installed, so there's very little benefit there.

They're factory Toyota units, or maybe dealer installed units. The lateral ones were bolted to the roof and the crossbars are made for them, not a custom build. These are very flimsy, I wouldn't consider them for any kind of load bearing. Consider gutter-mounted crossbars from Thule or something o the sorts. Much, much safer.

I appreciate the good wishes, both 90s have served me very well, you purchased a very dependable Toyota! enjoy yours as well.

Deshet

Adventurer
What does a 1991 or 1992 Diesel Prado go for in your part of the World in good condition?

Thanks

lugueto

Adventurer
Well, to be honest, we've only had the 90 series Prados, which started sales in 2000.

We never had the 70 series Prados, which would be the one you're referring to. So I can't help you there. Sorry.

Aosorio110

Did you bought these headlight surrounds or did they came with the car? I'm interested in picking a pair of these for fitting a 7 inch jeep led headlight inside of there. If you bought it, do you have a link? Also I have a Toyota Prado 90 in Colombia. Thanks you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles