New Guy Older Jayco pop up

Tankerblade

Hello guys, Ive lurked around quite a bit over the past several years and figured its finally time to make an account and post up.

I recently discovered my grandparents have an older Jayco popup camper. I figured this might be a good little rig to be able to just get up and go camping within an hour (figuratively, once set up) rather then take 4-5hrs packing the tent and kitchen sink in the bed of the truck. And figured itd be a little better with the baby.

I honestly dont remember much of this camper, i was rather young when it got put away, close on 15yrs ago after they got a 5th wheel. Its been stored outside in the AZ sun for that long. So i dont remember the length, or model etc. All i remember about it is the exterior was the white/blue color scheme. So white body with a few blue lines and blue lettering. And it had a shower/toilet area in the rear pass corner. From other pictures on the interwebz shows this might be a 8ft model. Can anyone confirm?

Its difficult for me to get back and check the pop up out due to it being in a locked community yard and my grandparents have lost the key to it. I dont particularly want to jump the fence since crusty old ladies are extremely nosy when a scary lifted truck is backed up to fence lol

Which leads me to a rather important question. I have ZERO experience with these types of campers. So my big concern is securing it down. I have looked around and read up on the mounting solutions, but i dont quite want to drop the coin for a pricey tie down mounting points just yet. I did find some rather in expensive bed stake mounts. Which seem fine for smooth road applications and to see if i like it. However, a concern i have is, if its an 8 footer, would i still be able to throw it in the bed of the truck? I have a 06 Dodge 2500 quad cab Short bed. If that was the case, i can weld on some mounting points to my steel bumper. But that still concerns me...

Another concern is what kind of problems or quirks did these things have over all? I anticipate having to replace the soft siding, and possibly having to reseal everything IF its in OK condition.....

What are your thoughts concerns opinions rumors etc???

Thanks!

Tankerblade

Have some more information, Its a Jayco 9.5' Sportster. Its in relatively good condition.

Looked into the COG point, and its within the COG field provided by dodge, barely...

poncho62

How short is your shortbed?.....If its a 5 1/2 footer, that camper is going to be hanging 4 ft out the back....Thats quite a bit.

Tankerblade

Its a 6.5' bed. According to Dodge, the COG of the truck is 25" forward from the end of the bed to the back of the cab. The COG of the camper according to the owners manual, is about 48" from the cab/bed wall. Which puts it within 5" of the tail end of the COG of the truck...

Tankerblade

I guess ill bring this back. Idea got postponed a little due to life. But i do have some more info.

Its a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab short bed (6.5') Payload capacity is 2250lbs (if my research has done me right). The dry weight of the camper is 1350lbs dry. But i know it doesnt have much weight in terms of water and such.

I measured out the CoG limits on the truck as well as the CoG location of the camper. Ill post a pic below.

I think the best way would be to make a 2x2 steel frame for the camper to sit on and have it attach to the reciver/s for support. that way i can take the tailgate off.

Opinions? Concerns?

Heres a pic of the Camper

324a118049844996854e44628bdecb26.jpg

And a pic of the center of gravity limits (marked in yellow pencils on the bed rail) and cog of he camper (green pencil)

28d77fe077e4eee0c39b9d05098b306e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke