A Decision on Heavy Duty Sliders and Slide-Out Drawer Options

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Sorry i think you misunderstood my question, or im just being an idiot. I realize your actual drawer itself has a bottom which the plastic is attached to, but does the drawer sit directly on top of the bed of the truck, or do you have a bottom to the frame of your overall box?

We're on the same page...there is a 4'x6' piece of ply lying flat on the bed. This is the bottom of the 'carcase' and has plastic strips. The drawers slide into that and also have plastic strips. Onto that 4'x6' sheet I screwed sides and a center divider, all roughly 10"x6' the top sleeping platform went on top of those 'walls'.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I'm imagining that the combination of both slides on the drawer itself and the framing makes the drawer stay "centered" and in line when you open/close it, very smart!

slowtwitch

Adventurer
"from simple minds" as they say. It was a figure as you build thing, and is pretty pedestrian in it's construction. It was however cheap, materials easy to source, and it is bomb proof and totally utilitarian. I would need to total the truck to break the bed/drawers (Gorilla Glue and screws). I use them all the time, not just for camping. I'll make one for every pu I own period.
I wouldn't do much different. Maybe nicer plywood... but not really needed. I didn't have a biscuit jointer or Kreg system at the time, so thicker ply was mandated so I could sink screws. When I do it again, I'll go thinner here and there and save some weight and gain a few fractions of an inch storage. I originally wanted wings on the sides to fold down over the wells, but now that I have used it, not only are they not needed, they would be a detriment imo. The opening on the sides is perfect for stashing long/rarely used stuff.. extraction equip, HiLift, axes, fishing poles, etc etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne