A Decision on Heavy Duty Sliders and Slide-Out Drawer Options

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I used strips of Delrin. Cheap, and thin so doesn't eat up cabinet/drawer space. Added benefit is if you are parked on a hill, the drawers wont coming flying out.

Sand1235

I used KV lock in-lock out slides. I have 3 sets in the back of my Jeep. They are 28" long. They don't have a lever for the locking mechanism, but a push/pull handle.

I have 2 sets that are vertical and they don't make a sound. I have one set mounted horizontal, and it makes only the slightest noise if you are aired up and hit washboards or a big pot hole. I think I can fix it easily with a few washers. But again, it's very very slight.

My dad has a GMC Canyon that we are going to build big versions of my slides using 60" long slides, and I think we'll use the KV again.

BTCSXJ

Hello fellow Overlanders and enthusiasts of ExpeditionPortal!

I have scoured the infinite depths of this forum, and discovered a plethora of advice and applicable knowledge in relation to my most current project: building a slide out drawer system for the back of my 1st Gen Tundra. First off, I want to thank all of you for your contributions as I have been a lurker on this forum for many months, finding so many of these ongoing threads such as the "post up your storage system" to be extremely useful.

I've seen their are many options to use when making a sliding drawer system, such as low friction plastic bottom glides, and more DIY methods of mounting up skate or rollerblade bearings to your box and steel/aluminum tubing to your drawer sides.

But... If one were to purchase heavy duty drawer slides in a 42"-60" size, what would you choose with consideration to durability, longevity, and price?

Also, take a close look at the specifications for these slides. Most people think that the 500lb Accuride slides are rated for 500lbs... but if you read their literature, they're actually only rated for 300lbs in automotive applications where there is nearly constant vibrations. At 60" in length, you're asking a lot from those slides.

Also keep in mind the moment arm you are creating at that length. Even if, for example, the slides were rated at 500lbs... at 5ft out, 100lbs becomes 500ft*lbs. I suspect their rated for that weight at a distributed load.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Also, take a close look at the specifications for these slides. Most people think that the 500lb Accuride slides are rated for 500lbs... but if you read their literature, they're actually only rated for 300lbs in automotive applications where there is nearly constant vibrations. At 60" in length, you're asking a lot from those slides.

Also keep in mind the moment arm you are creating at that length. Even if, for example, the slides were rated at 500lbs... at 5ft out, 100lbs becomes 500ft*lbs. I suspect their rated for that weight at a distributed load.

Thanks for all the responses!

That is a very good point, BTCSXJ. The torque applied to the slider and components with 500 pounds dynamic load at full extension "60" would be pretty insane. I dont think i would ever load up my drawers with such weight, but the point being is that Iam still looking for quality, heavy-duty, reliable, sliders. Cheers.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I made mine for 1st gen Tundra DC. Two full length drawers, that together take up whole width between wells. My goal was to be able to stash as much as possible under the platform. The depth was derived by working backwards from me being able to sit upright on platform with headroom (extra height topper).
Long story short, once you start building, and realizing duffle bag, sleeping bag, stove, etc etc dimensions, space is really critical to having drawers that are a usable size. This is where all the fancy slides/wheels are no good...they take up quite a lot of space when considered in total. I used low friction plastic strips... turned out to be just under .5" per drawer total. There is also no weight maximum... I can load them full of scrap metal if I want.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I made mine for 1st gen Tundra DC. Two full length drawers, that together take up whole width between wells. My goal was to be able to stash as much as possible under the platform. The depth was derived by working backwards from me being able to sit upright on platform with headroom (extra height topper).
Long story short, once you start building, and realizing duffle bag, sleeping bag, stove, etc etc dimensions, space is really critical to having drawers that are a usable size. This is where all the fancy slides/wheels are no good...they take up quite a lot of space when considered in total. I used low friction plastic strips... turned out to be just under .5" per drawer total. There is also no weight maximum... I can load them full of scrap metal if I want.

Bingo. Plastic is the way to go. I find it hilarious people use 500lb slides that cost a bajillion dollars and take up too much room just to carry 100lbs of stuff at most.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
What kind of plastic strips did you use? Can I get a couple of pictures of your set up, slowtwitch? Do you have tops for your "drawers" I wanna see pics your gonna go to EXPO jail if you dont ;)

slowtwitch

Adventurer
What kind of plastic strips did you use? Can I get a couple of pictures of your set up, slowtwitch? Do you have tops for your "drawers" I wanna see pics your gonna go to EXPO jail if you don't ;)

For some reason the file uploader is giving me grief.. I had a closeup of the slides. You can just see it in the pic with the drawer extended. They are 1" wide and I think they are PTFE. It's been a while. Got it from Mcmastercarr. I counter sunk plastic so screws would sit well below flush. The drawer corners have plastic on both edges, and the carcase does as well. Probably could get away with just having them on bottom of carcase and not sides.

Attachments

• IMG_2911.JPG
    IMG_2911.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2910.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 105

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Looks nice, cant really tell from your pics but do you have the drawer framed from below as well? That is... does the drawer sit directly on top of the bed of the truck or is it sitting on a sheet of plywood to glide on that PTFE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Looks nice, cant really tell from your pics but do you have the drawer framed from below as well? That is... does the drawer sit directly on top of the bed of the truck or is it sitting on a sheet of plywood to glide on that PTFE
Yes, framed in on bottom as well... thats what the bottom plastic is screwed to.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Yes, framed in on bottom as well... thats what the bottom plastic is screwed to.

Sorry i think you misunderstood my question, or im just being an idiot. I realize your actual drawer itself has a bottom which the plastic is attached to, but does the drawer sit directly on top of the bed of the truck, or do you have a bottom to the frame of your overall box?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior