A Decision on Heavy Duty Sliders and Slide-Out Drawer Options

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Hello fellow Overlanders and enthusiasts of ExpeditionPortal!

I have scoured the infinite depths of this forum, and discovered a plethora of advice and applicable knowledge in relation to my most current project: building a slide out drawer system for the back of my 1st Gen Tundra. First off, I want to thank all of you for your contributions as I have been a lurker on this forum for many months, finding so many of these ongoing threads such as the "post up your storage system" to be extremely useful.

I've seen their are many options to use when making a sliding drawer system, such as low friction plastic bottom glides, and more DIY methods of mounting up skate or rollerblade bearings to your box and steel/aluminum tubing to your drawer sides.

But... If one were to purchase heavy duty drawer slides in a 42"-60" size, what would you choose with consideration to durability, longevity, and price?

The tried and true Accuride 9308 and 9301 systems, from my research, seem to hold up very well and be a good option... Here is a link to the best price I was able to find on them with the non lock-out/in feature:
http://ahturf.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=26941_882_883_904&product_id=10224 -------------------------

Essentially:
48" Standard (listed in above link) $241.40
60" Standard: $338.70
48" Lock In/Out: $299.22
60" Lock In/Out: :Wow1: $401.71

I was really starting to rethink this project entirely (admittedly a little late for that as I already have invested in a solid router bit and plenty'o'wood.

But I did stumble on this brand, RYADON, here is the link:
http://drawerslidesinc.com/drawer-s...full-extension-lock-in-lock-out-drawer-slide/

Now $225.00 for a 60" Lock In/Out drawer does SOUND a lot better, but I have to wonder about the quality. It does seem that heavy duty drawer slides are really the only thing this company does.

I could find very little information when it comes to reviews, yet that price has kept me looking because it is a hell of a lot more reasonable for my college-student budget!

So.... If you guys have any information or advice, I am all ears.
Thank you in advance for your responses and I pinky promise to take a few pictures of the drawer system through the build process as well as some snaps of the final product... I do know that's what we all find most enticing! (ooooooooooh pictures :rolleyes:)

TL;DR: Help me pick a drawer slide ye wanker!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Curious why you put this in General Mod instead of the Storage subforum (which you seem to be aware of).

I've got no response to your quest / commercial, I built my setup without any sliders whatsoever. They're not really needed. and take up a lot of space and money.
Whole thing reminds me of a probably apocryphal story of the Space Race, how NASA spent a ton of time and money trying to come up with an ink pen that would work in zero G. The Russians took a pencil.

Anyway, good luck with your quest.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Thanks rayra for your time and response.

I decided to create a thread because I feel it is an important and separate discussion, to know what people's preferences are outside of a "POST UP YOUR BUILD", where the posts can get easily lost in hundreds of pages of responses, replies and new posts. After reading pretty thoroughly through peoples builds, I still had not found a definitive decision for drawer operation, so I wanted to post an inquiry here!

Thanks for referring to my post as a commercial :wings:! I guess that means I've got some professional writing talent so you might think I was with a company ;) I wish, but I'm just a 20 year old kid trying to build my rig the right way so I can enjoy it for many years to come :)

Are you having any issues with your low friction sliders getting sand or grit in them and creating more friction? I've heard a few painful stories of individuals with those exact issues. Mind posting up a picture of your build?

Cheers,

Gabe

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer

Thanks Lucky J, looks like there are some good options there, and for even a better price. Does the combination of the locking and non locking have any warping or tweaking issues at the end where one side tends to go further then the other or act different? Or is it built pretty stiff and tough, rolling smoothly, locking securely, and overall a satisfying product?

What is the "locking" mechanism like? does it tend to self close if barely open?

I'd be interested in seeing your trailer build when you get to it, what purpose are you building it for?

Cheers

krick3tt

Adventurer
I purchased a drawer system from Front Runner for my LR3 but after looking at all the possibilities of systems and reexamining my carpentry skills, I determined that I could have created a system for less money and still would have performed as well as the purchased item.
The idea of no sliders intrigued me and I was curious to develop a runner that would not allow the drawer to rest on the bottom and get the sand and debris that the trails often left me with.
A dado in the side piece and an angle to slide in it would accomplish this and still increase the overall width of internal storage. There are nylon glides that can be secured to the bottom of the drawer to allow smooth slide and are often used on older furniture pieces that were created before gliders.
There are so many possibilities, but a system that is exposed to weather, as in the back of a truck bed, require more exacting standards. I would be curious to see what solution you come up with.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
A dado in the side piece and an angle to slide in it would accomplish this and still increase the overall width of internal storage. There are nylon glides that can be secured to the bottom of the drawer to allow smooth slide and are often used on older furniture pieces that were created before gliders.
There are so many possibilities, but a system that is exposed to weather, as in the back of a truck bed, require more exacting standards. I would be curious to see what solution you come up with.

Thanks for your reply, Krick. I am curious to what you mean by angle, are you talking about a DADO and then an angle bracket or something that the drawer sits on inside the frame of the base? Pictures would be helpful for my very visual and kinesthetic learning style.
Nylon slides with dado? Or seperately

Thanks again

Gabe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
Thanks Lucky J, looks like there are some good options there, and for even a better price. Does the combination of the locking and non locking have any warping or tweaking issues at the end where one side tends to go further then the other or act different? Or is it built pretty stiff and tough, rolling smoothly, locking securely, and overall a satisfying product?

What is the "locking" mechanism like? does it tend to self close if barely open?

I'd be interested in seeing your trailer build when you get to it, what purpose are you building it for?

Cheers

The locking and non locking are exactly the same lenght and strenght. They might not open like a house high end silent drawer slide, but they are very sturdy.

The locking system is a small lever at the tip of the slide. In my case, I place the tip or the lever flush with the drawer so it would be protected. Like that, they are easy to unlock, but harder to grabe to pull out. So with a small 1 inch hole in the drawer panel, I unlock with one hand and pull the drawer with the other.

They lock in the close and completely open position.

I have one drawe for my arb 35 qt made with scrap aluminium pieces and one large wood drawer that gets loaded with pretty heavy stuff, and as easy to open and close loaded or empty.

Lucky j

Explorer
As for the trailer, it will be a purpose built expedition trailer. Made from my old Yj tub with water tank, fuel reserve, camping gear storage and a telescopic rack for RTT and awning. ( planing to go pneumatic on the lift system, already have oba in the LJ wrangler and think it could also work from a bike pump if need to.)

Will keep posted. Should start working on it when snow melt in april.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Thanks for starting this thread.

I've checked out all kinds of drawer slides but continue looking for a good (cost effective) set of locking sliders.

I do wonder why you need 42"-60" drawer slides - what are you going to do with that dimension?

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Thanks for starting this thread.

I've checked out all kinds of drawer slides but continue looking for a good (cost effective) set of locking sliders.

I do wonder why you need 42"-60" drawer slides - what are you going to do with that dimension?

Absolutely Dan!

I might have to be the guinea pig for RYadon slides or the other brand posted above.

In terms of the dimension Its just the range I'm considering and it will determine the depth of the rest of my box, so in front a drawer and behind a fold up hinge compartment for other less frequently used tools and items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
A pic of my drawe system, but no close up of the lock. I could get a better one monday if you want of the lever

This is how the bottom lock in place in the back of the box
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Nice Lucky j, Awesome build, rear winch and all. I always thought that was smart cause the way you go in is the way you're likely have to come out! If all you have is self recovery I could imagine that being a lifesaver. What's that there on top of your drawer system?

What I meant on the lock is do the drawer sliders have a built in lock in/lock out? I would like to see your lock...

Cheers,

Gabe

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I'm all for finding deals. As a family of 5 all of our decisions count on our budget... that said, I have never read one post about regretting getting the good stuff. It is just part of the build process, either make due and live with the relative consequences or keep saving to buy the top shelf and never look back. On a budget, I go for the best option I can afford and not have the consequences make me regret my decision.

That said, you can always upgrade down the road. I am designing drawers right now too, but I am more concerned with weight to strength ratios than drawer slides. Also the loss of usable space bugs me with the beefy slides... still working through that as well.

Either way, looking forward to what you come up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior