Intro & build thread '99 Gen 2.5

RyanY

Adventurer
took off side steps (one side) and mud flaps, but decided I liked it better with them on so back they went. I did trim the rubber flaps on the rear mud-flaps though, they were half way off anyhow.

Factory running boards and mudflaps become self-removing if you're wheeling it aggressively enough. :)

LibertyFLS

Observer
Took off the sides, removed the residue and plugged the holes in fender. Love how it looks lol, haven't had a chance to offroad it yet though. Wend to IPM Fab and Ryuigi is gonna be building me some rock sliders soon. I've given up on any thoughts of a roof rack other than one I can easily put on / take off, after getting a notice that red sticker vehicles will be towed on our street - only green stickers allowed on the street, means I gotta be able to fit into my garage which it does now, barely, cross bars hit the garage door. I could probably get them to let me and wife swap stickers, but no way I'm parking my toy car on the street, so it's not gonna happen, the garage is mine, and a horde of BMX bikes....

IMG_1575.jpgIMG_1576.jpg

Rod

Observer
Great build..I saw your 95 for sale on Craigslist and almost called to see it before I got a deal on a gen 3.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
IncorpoRatedX's suggestion of Trail Gear was for a set of rock sliders. Someone local can make you a set but I'm willing to bet they won't be as tough as the Trail Gear ones. They're made from drawn-over-mandrel (DOM) steel of some unearthly composition, I like to say it's some substance that 'fell to Earth,' because I've beat the living snot out of mine and they will not flex or dent, just scratch. I've slammed the weight of the truck on them without issue. My favorite maneuver on a tight trail is to place the center of one of the sliders against a large rock and crank the wheel and gas it, the truck rotates against the rock and splinters it. They are welded to the frame in three places per side, and I would suggest any sliders you get be done the same way, at least don't get bolt-on ones. Last but not least, these things make for some serious added reassurance in case of a t-bone accident. Woe to any mere passenger car that hits them! Next, we're going to try to squeeze their shortest set onto a SWB, since no one makes anything for those.

John B.

LibertyFLS

Observer
Good info John B. I'm sure that what IPM build is made to take abuse, if you look them up on Instagram they are primarily an off road fab company, and mainly catering to newer vehicles, although he does like my Monty's. Plus, I like to support businesses that support mine, he buys from me, I buy from him :D He showed me where he will be welding them to the frame in 3 places and he will notch the body seams in those 3 places so they can fit high and tight.

In addition to the sliders, it's time to fix the mechanical issues on the truck, so my other friends shop will be doing the cam seals, plugs n wires, timing belt, etc. so the motor will be clean and dry and ready for another 200k of life.

LibertyFLS

Observer
Pulled a white ball t-case shifter yesterday in the only 2nd gen Monty at the pick-a-part, tons of Sports, only 1 regular, and it was in a partial lake due to all the rains in SoCal (must be a chemical cess-pool at those places right now, so nasty lol...). Just finished installing it and also moving the seat heaters, shifter is so much better now, and like other pics from other users there was crumbled red plastic all over the inside top of the t-case which I picked out as much as I could before putting the white-ball one in it's place.

LibertyFLS

Observer
Before I throw it out, should I keep the old t-case shifter for anything at all?

Replaced the fuel gauge sender today, finally have accurate fuel reading!!

LibertyFLS

Observer
fixed the lights on the HVAC, the one by the two big dials was out, so I swapped both with white bulbs no blue filter, now every light in the truck works as it should. Thanks once AGAIN to Jlocsters wonderful thread on interior bulb replacements :D

Also, here's a pic of the re-located seat heaters

IMG_1641.jpg

Last, red electric tape for the tri-diamond on the steering wheel

IMG_1640.jpg

Last edited:

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Before I throw it out, should I keep the old t-case shifter for anything at all?

Replaced the fuel gauge sender today, finally have accurate fuel reading!!

The shifter can be made good with a new red ball from the Mitsu dealer so it may not be totally useless to someone.

As for the fuel sender, can you provide some instructions on this? I think I might need to do it one day.

LibertyFLS

Observer
As for the fuel sender, can you provide some instructions on this? I think I might need to do it one day.

Easiest swap you can ask for. I ordered mine on Amazon for about 70 bucks, came from a Mits dealership in Florida. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...-Gen-2-5-Gas-Gauge-In-Tank-Sender-Replacement

So the bulbs in my HVAC were too overpowering compared to everything else, so I managed to get the little blue rubber caps off some similar sized bulbs and put them on the new bulbs, it's hard to tell in the day light but it does look like it's not so bright. This time around I didn't take out the stereo and could still manage to access the bulb on the bottom side.

On an excited / stoked note, I went to IPM today and measured out the sliders and also will have it kick out towards the back like the line of the body. Can't wait, should be early next week on the truck, stay tuned for pics.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Easiest swap you can ask for. I ordered mine on Amazon for about 70 bucks, came from a Mits dealership in Florida. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...-Gen-2-5-Gas-Gauge-In-Tank-Sender-Replacement

So the bulbs in my HVAC were too overpowering compared to everything else, so I managed to get the little blue rubber caps off some similar sized bulbs and put them on the new bulbs, it's hard to tell in the day light but it does look like it's not so bright. This time around I didn't take out the stereo and could still manage to access the bulb on the bottom side.

On an excited / stoked note, I went to IPM today and measured out the sliders and also will have it kick out towards the back like the line of the body. Can't wait, should be early next week on the truck, stay tuned for pics.

Awesome, thanks for the link to that write up!

Stoked for the sliders as well, can't wait to see pics!

LibertyFLS

Observer
Still waiting on my sliders to be done (this week he promised....). In the meantime, I've replaced the Infinity headunit with a Pioneer bluetooth one and it's freaking awesome. This factory Infinity sound system with amps and sub sounds good now, no static on FM (not sure why the other one didn't get good reception) and I love that it syncs and starts playing from my phone as soon as it powers on. Also a feature I had to have was either customizable color, or at least dimmable, which this one is dimmable, so it's not glaring bright blue LED lighting in a vintage feeling warm lighting situation, so at night it's just subtle blue, not overpowering. Now I just gotta ditch the power antenna and get a fixed one.

Fingers crossed the sliders finish and go on the truck this week. Then when I go to spring break, it's going to my other friends shop for timing belt, cam seals, plugs and wires etc. and there won't be much left on my to-do list.

One question: I haven't had any luck finding a driver side front turn signal housing, bought one on eBay yesterday only to have the seller tell me the clips are broken (only reason I need a new one) and refund my purchase. So, I was thinking to order the Pajero ones, but what does everyone wire the second bulb to? I know I should do a search on this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles