Offroad trailer build on 40's.

Keith B.

Observer
So I have got a lot done over the last couple weeks.

First I did the tailgate, which is tough making it all seal up correctly and with the latches I used. Basically I used some 3/4 square tubing to hit the weatherstripping, and then a bolt for the latch post.

cyX5jav.jpg

I then installed the cables.

AoF0Jxb.jpg

Here is a shot from the back so you can see it closed.

Uei62Un.jpg

ffNX6qS.jpg

I also made a stabilizer jack in case we are camping. I welded up a removable receiver tucked into the frame, and then made a post to fit it to the jack.

bxUCxL5.jpg

0tsslRV.jpg

While I doubt I will need them, I added some locations for RotoPax mounts. I don't know if I will leave them on or off, but I figured it was easier to do it now. I will have a total of 5 mounts. Three across the front and one on each side on the back. I am bolting them through braces I added into the frame of the box.

Kc5QRS9.jpg

You can see the holes where they will go. I drilled them now so I can redrill after the skin goes on easier.

9YWY3iL.jpg

Then I made the spare tire carrier. I may brace it but it is 2 pieces of 1/4 tube welded together so it is probably fine.

21kbCxd.jpg

I also added the triangulation on the front under the tire. I am debating adding some flooring on to that but haven't decided. I has thinking of using the circle hole grating.
wExAGLE.jpg

Keith B.

Observer
Given the weight of the top, and how it is going to vary depending if I have a box on there, I added another removable gas strut in case there is a lot of weight.

sAB3xOJ.jpg

I also finished the latch mechanism for the lid. it is a T-Handle with cables to two rotary latches.

KmYJUE7.jpg

Keith B.

Observer
So my parking brake kit came in. I have to recommend the company "Control Cables" as they do awesome cables. I used them for the e-brake on my 14 bolt and now for this. They are quick turn around and they do really nice stuff.

I basically used a lever, and then a splitter for the e-brake.

This is the top view of the actual brake mechanism.
GNgv3pY.jpg

I then threaded a hole into the frame so that I could use a retainer to hold the cable against the frame.

BfFzSPO.jpg

This is the splitter going to each cable which I just welded to the frame.

f3siQUa.jpg

This is the handle mounted to the spare tire carrier, behind it, and connected.

Q3VpAfZ.jpg

I decided to run it through the frame so the cable wasn't handing down.

3U77ZeI.jpr

I also made the mounting plate for the nose jack. I really like the jack, but the plate was silly big, so I cut it down.

xEmTEml.jpg

I then welded a piece of 3/8 to the receiver and bolted it on. It hangs down a little but there is no way around that. I really wanted to use this jack, but given the height of the frame with the 40's I had no choice but to mount like this. I mounted it with the hinge farther from the hitch so that I could actually lift it higher given the angle.

gEU2frf.jpg

bE6OhHP.jpg

Keith B.

Observer
So I got started on doing the skin this weekend, and made pretty good progress. I just tacked it in place and will then weld it over a couple of days.

MAhe3oC.jpg

7XWqQVt.jpg

s1wqicx.jpg

THGYVbY.jpg

Qs9nUs8.jpg

hTlrXAT.jpg

Keith B.

Observer
Got the fenders and sides completely welded in. I also added the plate for the front V and the side steps. I wanted something a little different so I used some 11ga, 1" holes plate. It turned out pretty cool. The floor is in and partially welded.

nnuthOo.jpg

ck52RlL.jpg

ulSfcPz.jpg

jEkIMa4.jpg

oFPHgCX.jpg

Keith B.

Observer
Holy crap.............the thing is basically done.

Here it is on its maiden voyage to get registered.

NnIDvUK.jpg

And here it is with the lid on. I still have to get it painted and Rhino-lined, and there are a few other small things with the latches, but it is basically done.

nsiMNhk.jpg

D1AZTjw.jpg

PHWRxg2.jpg

txOEqNy.jpg

9MnVHI4.jpg

3tXKq6t.jpg

Redeth005

Adventurer
DUDE This has got to be one of the cleanest start to finish trailer fabrication builds ive seen yet. Great job man. I thought mine came out clean but yours looks like it all came out perfectly square. I cant wait to see what else you plan to do. Keep up the great job man.

It's nice to see another rock crawler tow vehicle lol

BTW you wanna talk about overbuilding and using heavy stuff check out my build lol I went overkill on some of the thicknesses i chose kinda regret it but at least i know it is very durable lol

Last edited:

Keith B.

Observer
DUDE This has got to be one of the cleanest start to finish trailer fabrication builds ive seen yet. Great job man. I thought mine came out clean but yours looks like it all came out perfectly square. I cant wait to see what else you plan to do. Keep up the great job man.

It's nice to see another rock crawler tow vehicle lol

BTW you wanna talk about overbuilding and using heavy stuff check out my build lol I went overkill on some of the thicknesses i chose kinda regret it but at least i know it is very durable lol

Thanks, but honestly I am disappointed in how some of the metal warped during welding. There are quite a few spots that totally went out of square that surprised me. I expected it on the sheet metal but not when it happened on some of the tubing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online