Offroad trailer build on 40's.

Keith B.

Observer
What is the reasoning for the staggered lift assist on the top?
There are actually two mounts on each side. I did that so I could add an extra hydraulic when I put the roof rack on or a cargo box to deal with the additional weight. I didn't know the weight of the top so it was an experiment right now. With the hydraulics I had on hand, this worked the best. Now that I have a better idea of weight I am just going to use the longer set and will order new ones.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Thanks, but honestly I am disappointed in how some of the metal warped during welding. There are quite a few spots that totally went out of square that surprised me. I expected it on the sheet metal but not when it happened on some of the tubing.
That actually happened to me as well. I got a pretty big warp on the roof of my large conpartmentluckily the roof top tent covers it up so it's not an eyesore. But when it rains you definitely notice the roof collects 2 pretty big puddles accounting for about 1/4 of the entire roof. Other then that the trailer came out perfect. Everything visible from the sides, rear, and front came out fine.

honda250xtitan

Thanks, but honestly I am disappointed in how some of the metal warped during welding. There are quite a few spots that totally went out of square that surprised me. I expected it on the sheet metal but not when it happened on some of the tubing.

My frame i spent the time getting it back into square, the top of the box i just tacked and welded and moved on. lol. sheet metal hides all. Trailer looks killer. those 40's are awesome, i thought the 33's i was running look massive, i can't imagine seeing that thing in real life lol.

CampStewart

Observer
With all the new wonder adhesives they are bonding cars together with I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use them to attach the sheet metal with a few tacks or screws on the corners

Keith B.

Observer
Here it is all hooked up ready for Moab.

1iflwzF.jpg

Keith B.

Observer
That enough top clearance?

If you are talking about above the tire, then there is enough. There is about 3.75 inches above the top of the tread. According to Timbren, the most their setup compresses is about 2.5 inches. Some pictures it looks deceiving. The edge of the fender has tubing in it, but that is not above the tread.

honda250xtitan

did you take it to DMV or to a third party place to get it registered? they give you any ********? I need to take mine asap, probably to a smaller commercial truck place on the west side of phoenix.

Keith B.

Observer
did you take it to DMV or to a third party place to get it registered? they give you any ****? I need to take mine asap, probably to a smaller commercial truck place on the west side of phoenix.

I took it to a 3rd party place and it was super simple. They didnt give a crap. For homebuilt if you want to declare a value over $1000 then you need receipts for 50% of what you claim the value is. They checked lights and signals and that was it.

Keith B.

Observer
I had a few minor things to be done on this before paint. I driller all the holes for the Rotopax, and a few other items. I got those done this weekend. I finally dropped this thing off to get painted and then have bedliner put in. I should have it back in a couple weeks, and them am done.

honda250xtitan

I had a few minor things to be done on this before paint. I driller all the holes for the Rotopax, and a few other items. I got those done this weekend. I finally dropped this thing off to get painted and then have bedliner put in. I should have it back in a couple weeks, and them am done.

i definitely wish i had let a shop bedline mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier