LR3 / Discovery 3 Coil Conversion +2" Question

Eniam17

Adventurer
Jackattack I think you find that most people who are out using their lr3/4 for what they are meant for actually have had very little of any eas failures. Between the iid tool, the sya kit, pulling fuses, etc there really isn't as much to worry about as what the forum banter suggests

Ray_G

Explorer
Just for the sake of exposing my biased view; I would note I don't pull fuses, don't have an SYA, etc. Mine just goes. :)

A judicious edit since my post is still last;
One of the legit reasons to consider swapping to coils is to remove a variable from the equation, one that some may not think is critical to their platform's purpose.
I realize not everyone thinks like that about things, but if your endstate is to take your LR3 off the beaten path for a few weeks at a time could you do all the things to retain the EAS when the truck is creeping past 10yrs and 100k?

-Upgrade to the AMK ($)
-Replace the worn air struts, hopefully with ones that don't fail ($)
-Proactively replace the EAS blocks so those don't leak ($)
-Buy, and install, an SYA kit ($)
-Consider splicing in schrader valves, isolation of air lines, etc ($)

I'm being absurd, to a point...but the real point is if you don't want to know the fuses in the engine bay and behind the glove box off the top of your head, nor put it in build mode in your IID tool, or troubleshoot if today it's the brake switch or the height sensor or...perhaps just switching to coils is a good idea. Especially when you start thinking about $ that gets dropped.

All depending on what your requirement actually is. My contention, and challenge for many, is that they don't have an actual endstate in mind when they are advocating for a given position. Thus they aren't tearing apart their problem and being objective about the right solution given their context. Of course I could be being a little too stark and my Marine might be showing. :)
r-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eniam17

Adventurer
Great post Ray and you're completely right. i was attempting to provide some perspective so someone didn't get too alarmed by some of the negative internet chatter that we tend to see about equipment failures, but you're absolutely right regarding a plan to remove variables from an equation with a certain end goal in mind.

For example , I am a moderate off roader, not really an overlander, and if it weren't for the need to access my garage at home and parking garages , I would probably convert to coils.

JackAttack13

Observer
You all provide great points, and yes the internet forums tend to make the EAS seem like a deathtrap waiting to happen. We use the hell out of the truck in the summer on all of our great Colorado trails, and the only real issue we have seen was a few faults while cruising on washboard dirt roads, and one suspension raising slowly fault. These were easily fixed by turning off the truck and restarting it. But, it has been small issues like this that have kept that nagging feeling in the back of my head, the "what if an airline breaks..."

I just ran across the SYA kit last week and am considering that, but at 399 bucks, your halfway to a coil swap. I also considered swapping out the aging airbags, and start piecing in new components, but at 300+ a corner, that is some serious loot, not even considering the price of all of the other small components in the system. All this being said, I love the EAS, the wheel travel, functionality, self leveling, and sheer cool factor. It now just comes time for me to decide which direction I want to go for the better piece of mind. Thanks all for the guidance, it is much appreciated. Hard to find other LR enthusiasts out there that actually offroad and fully understand this particular dilema.

roverandom

Adventurer
I agree, as these units age and become cheaper the 2nd and 3rd hand owners are not as, let's say committed, to the EAS as the original purchases of the truck. Probably because they didn't just recently pay $80K+ for a vehicle that's main unique feature at the time was an air suspension system.

When I did my conversion several years ago and posted up the thread on here there was lots of very negative reactions from folks convinced of the superiority of the EAS despite having no first hand experience of the conversion kit. Many seemed quite incredulous that I should actually choose to remove the EAS.

Ray G, I found your comparison very interesting and informative. Thank you. I've had similar findings off road. As it pertains to progress made down a rough track in an overlanding context, I think that any gain or loss of an inch or so with downwards suspension travel is just splitting hairs. Traction control and tyre choice seem to be the more important factors IME.

And to add my own 2c, since my conversion I've experienced no problems at all with the AB kit. I still own the LR3 but likely would have sold it by now had I decided to carry on maintaining EAS.

Ray_G

Explorer
When I did my conversion several years ago and posted up the thread on here there was lots of very negative reactions from folks convinced of the superiority of the EAS despite having no first hand experience of the conversion kit. Many seemed quite incredulous that I should actually choose to remove the EAS.

Ray G, I found your comparison very interesting and informative. Thank you. I've had similar findings off road. As it pertains to progress made down a rough track in an overlanding context, I think that any gain or loss of an inch or so with downwards suspension travel is just splitting hairs. Traction control and tyre choice seem to be the more important factors IME.

And to add my own 2c, since my conversion I've experienced no problems at all with the AB kit. I still own the LR3 but likely would have sold it by now had I decided to carry on maintaining EAS.

In truth I should be, and am now again, thanking you-your substantive commentary (that I asked for) despite the negative reactions was what gave me the confidence to give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morrisdl

Adventurer
I like there is the option for owners to go coils if the EAS goes to hell. When I lived in the NE - My EAS hated cold & wet conditions. Since moving south, I have run 275/65-18's (GY duratrac) everyday for years with no lift, no rub, and no problems. I only rise up +4" for the offroading occasion. Take <2 hours work to accommodate those tires at stock height. Well documented many times.

Brendon Mills

Hi Guys. I'm the Aussie that Unseenone was referring to.
I have also been in contact with the Australia importer of Radflo who was in Melbourne over the weekend and managed to run the LR3 LR4 thought past him as well, so fingers crossed.
Many thanks to Todd ( Unseenone ) for your assistance in helping out with the issues ive got with my LR3.
I'm totally shocked that no one has ever been able to get a hold of Toddcosuspension re his strut spacers. unless he has gone balls up broke, lol.
I have found this on this on the net re the LR3 top hat measurements, but haven't compared the measurements to my vehicle.

Cheers
Millsy

Suspension spacer.jpg

JDoubleDuBB

This is why I love forums... so much information and perspective. Ray_G, Roverandom, and everyone else... thank you.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
Lucky 8's lift and coil swap gave me a legit 2 inches. Don't bother with the AB kit. They are good people but this is the kind of stuff lucky 8 lives for. I have about 4 months on my swap and an happy with it. EAS is great....it's really amazing....but coils is peace of mind. BTW I run 275/65r18 with zero problems

JackAttack13

Observer
Lucky 8's lift and coil swap gave me a legit 2 inches. Don't bother with the AB kit. They are good people but this is the kind of stuff lucky 8 lives for. I have about 4 months on my swap and an happy with it. EAS is great....it's really amazing....but coils is peace of mind. BTW I run 275/65r18 with zero problems

Awesome! Great information. I had no idea they offered a kit with lift option. Sounds like I was barking up the wrong tree with AB. Looks like I will be taking another look at their kits. What did that set you back if you dont mind me asking. Trying to do a cost comparison between the SYA kit and a potential for additional maintenance or just swapping right off the bat.

I agree with the forum comment above. The amount of knowledge available is amazing. Thousands of people putting all their knowledge and experience in one place. I often wonder how I got on before forums. Ha ha.

Ray_G

Explorer
They are almost certainly the same kit, just rebranded. L8 does support the community a great deal though (i.e. active participation at events). Their website currently only shows the standard height kit at more/less the same price as AB ($870); not obvious +2 kit-but they work best via call or messenger on FB.

JDoubleDuBB

So many questions in my little head.

Looks like it is a Terrafirma/Dunlop kit?

I don't see any Specs or Tech Info... Does the black box get hardwired in during installation and remain in the vehicle? Any issues with codes?

Can you post a pic of your rig so that we may check out the stance please? I'm really interested in this kit and would like to know more about it.

General (and probably dumb) question for MontyMog and Ray_G... When using these conversion kits, do the different off-road modes still work as designed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles