LR3 / Discovery 3 Coil Conversion +2" Question

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Looks like I'll pull the trigger on this kit tomorrow. Front end continues to drop overnight and had an Eas fault earlier in the week and last night, compressor would come on, lift the front, stop, front would drop, cycle would repeat. Shut it off and restarted and it seemed to fix itself. I rely too much on stable transport and she's at about 214,000 miles now. Because I tow a teardrop, I really wanted to keep the Eas but I'll go with the 2" lift version to help with the sag. Peace of mind comes first.

Looks like I'll pull the trigger on this kit tomorrow. Front end continues to drop overnight and had an Eas fault earlier in the week and last night, compressor would come on, lift the front, stop, front would drop, cycle would repeat. Shut it off and restarted and it seemed to fix itself. I rely too much on stable transport and she's at about 214,000 miles now. Because I tow a teardrop, I really wanted to keep the Eas but I'll go with the 2" lift version to help with the sag. Peace of mind comes first.

If possible, can you pull those measurements for me when the parts come in? Pictures with measurements is ideal, but I'll take measurements if needed.

Thanks and can't wait to see your install,

E

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
If you tow get the OME +2 not the AB HD +2. I made that mistake already the HD will still sag under load

Colin Hughes

Explorer
From the AB website, it appears the 2" and HD 2" both use OME springs. Ray, did you replace both front and rear springs with the HD versions? I do a lot of driving (500 miles a week min) and the truck is basically stock, just an ARB fridge in the back unless I'm heading out camping. How is the ride with the HD springs. It's $20 difference in price and I'd like the rear to stay relatively level when pulling the trailer but the trailer is only about 1200 lbs. Thoughts please before I pull the trigger. :)

Ray_G

Explorer
From the AB website, it appears the 2" and HD 2" both use OME springs. Ray, did you replace both front and rear springs with the HD versions? I do a lot of driving (500 miles a week min) and the truck is basically stock, just an ARB fridge in the back unless I'm heading out camping. How is the ride with the HD springs. It's $20 difference in price and I'd like the rear to stay relatively level when pulling the trailer but the trailer is only about 1200 lbs. Thoughts please before I pull the trigger. :)

Colin-
So my truck runs the AB premium kit, i.e. their +2 kit which uses OME Medium Duty springs. I installed, on a friend's truck, the AB HD kit which uses the OME Heavy Duty springs. My truck has a fridge, tools, recovery gear, roof rack, sliders, and a rear swing away with a full sized spare. It will sag a little when more fully laden than that-I'm considering buying the HD rear springs and just replacing those (vice the whole strut).

I think the HD setup will allow you to tow better, but may be harsh if the vehicle is unladen. My buddy hasn't given me feedback on the ride since we installed, I can query.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
We did, it seems to be working though he may need to adjust the height sensors or throw rods on. No report on ride quality, yet, bc he hasn't gotten it aligned so driving is minimal till that later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I'll be interested to hear how it drives. Adjust height sensors or add rods? Does the 2" lift, even with the secret box still set off codes? I'm also wondering about going with the medium duty 2" spring version on the front and the HD 2" spring version on the rear, mixing the 2 packages offered by AB. My buddy seriously soaped my EAS system yesterday and we still can't find the leak. It must be so small but the front still drops overnight causing the compressor to run about a minute and a half in the morning and the compressor comes on for a short time, each time the truck sits for more than 15 minutes. Frustrating.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
Colin-
So my truck runs the AB premium kit, i.e. their +2 kit which uses OME Medium Duty springs. I installed, on a friend's truck, the AB HD kit which uses the OME Heavy Duty springs. My truck has a fridge, tools, recovery gear, roof rack, sliders, and a rear swing away with a full sized spare. It will sag a little when more fully laden than that-I'm considering buying the HD rear springs and just replacing those (vice the whole strut).

I think the HD setup will allow you to tow better, but may be harsh if the vehicle is unladen. My buddy hasn't given me feedback on the ride since we installed, I can query.
r-
Ray
My current setup has medium in front and Ome HD rear...it rides ok. Little more body roll and rear sits about an half inch higher. I notice it but others dont.

Ray_G

Explorer
I'll be interested to hear how it drives. Adjust height sensors or add rods? Does the 2" lift, even with the secret box still set off codes? I'm also wondering about going with the medium duty 2" spring version on the front and the HD 2" spring version on the rear, mixing the 2 packages offered by AB. My buddy seriously soaped my EAS system yesterday and we still can't find the leak. It must be so small but the front still drops overnight causing the compressor to run about a minute and a half in the morning and the compressor comes on for a short time, each time the truck sits for more than 15 minutes. Frustrating.

Met up with him for dinner last night, he'd driven the truck over from WV-handling is much better though it is mitigated by his need to replace the rear upper control arms-that said the overall feel of the truck is tighter and the ride isn't bad at all. Codes are clearing out; I advocated for a hard reset once/twice to get the ghosts out of the system instead of just using the dongle to reflash. Height issue appears to be gone already (no rods, no calibration).

All told the conversion is worth it-in my opinion. Just expect that you'll have a some lingering things to troubleshoot.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
So, after speaking a bit with AB, I've ordered the standard height kit for my LR3. I don't have loads of armour on my truck and most of my driving is commuting and running fire roads to canoe and mountain bike. I should have about 33" from the ground to the top of the wheel arch with my current tires (see photo) based on standard height. If it sags a bit when towing my small TCTeardrop, I'll have to deal with it. I've ordered the spacers for the rear as well. _DSC0251-Edit.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Updated in my build thread, but for the sake of future searches and such-I went ahead and ordered HD rear springs from AB; my truck will have the OME MD's up front and the HD's in the back. She's already laden enough that it is level day to day, when I load her up for a weekend with my kids and such she sags a little and I figure that's indicative of what any prolonged travel will do so time to bump the spring rate a bit.

Will post back when I complete that.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94