LR3 / Discovery 3 Coil Conversion +2" Question

Ray_G

Explorer
Clearly it will sag when you are towing your 'new to you' S1 home, but negligible effect on handling. Will def through the HDs on at some point.
7486c5edc271deea97f29e024c74d25e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly it will sag when you are towing your 'new to you' S1 home, but negligible effect on handling. Will def through the HDs on at some point.

That's because the U-Haul trailer weighs more than the S1! hahaha Those U-haul trailers are built so nobody will ever want to steal it! Heaviest thing on the planet! lol

Nice score on the S1! Any big plans for it?

johnnydal

That's because the U-Haul trailer weighs more than the S1! hahaha Those U-haul trailers are built so nobody will ever want to steal it! Heaviest thing on the planet! lol

Hey all. I just did an HD spring plus lift conversion this weekend. Took it for an alignment today. NTB saying they can only align it so far. Here are the results.

They're saying they can't adjust the cam anymore. Does that look or sound right?

Thanks.
50ec3e76234b62f2065e6d79924b3f53.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer

No big plans past fixing some stuff to get it back toward right (she isn't original, and can't really get back to that-so call it a rolling pseudo resto). Mostly just want to get a soft top on it and drive it.

Ray_G

Explorer
Hey all. I just did an HD spring plus lift conversion this weekend. Took it for an alignment today. NTB saying they can only align it so far. Here are the results.

They're saying they can't adjust the cam anymore. Does that look or sound right?

Thanks.
50ec3e76234b62f2065e6d79924b3f53.jpg

Odd. The two that I have been a part of went into the green, one did need new rear upper arms so it wasn't immediate but still went into spec.

johnnydal

Odd. The two that I have been a part of went into the green, one did need new rear upper arms so it wasn't immediate but still went into spec.

It is weird. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.

I know this might be silly to ask, but were the control arms torqued down under vehicle weight at ride height? I ran into this problem on my old 64 truck......yes, I know, different ages but same conrol arm technology. Back off the control arm bushing bolts (top and bottom) until they are loose and then retorque them at ride height and then try the alignment again. I know they loosen them on the rack again for the alignment, just saying it worked for me and my buddy recommended it. Doesn't hurt to roll the rig around a bit with snug control arm bushing bolts and then drive it up on the rack and try to align it.

Ball joints, wheel bearings, and wheel spacings are an area to check too!

Mine came right in, no issues! Not saying it will work, but binding bushings or worn components will indeed pull your alignment out of whack on one or multiple sides.

Hope that helps! Keep us posted.

It is weird. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.

randydandy

Anyone use spacers on top of the OME Lifted profile kit? I just bought an LR3 with these coils installed and I’d love to add another inch or two.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Having almost no down travel sounds pretty awesome.

How is there no down travel? This is not like when people overuse rods to stretch out the struts. The guys above are using taller steel springs and damper kits and last post was guy asking about spacers on top. I think he’d still have pretty much all the down travel the strut has built in but would potentially run into the limits of the control arm/ball joint/cv/etc.

sdjp

How is there no down travel? This is not like when people overuse rods to stretch out the struts. The guys above are using taller steel springs and damper kits and last post was guy asking about spacers on top. I think he’d still have pretty much all the down travel the strut has built in but would potentially run into the limits of the control arm/ball joint/cv/etc.
Old thread I know however this is the question I have. I have an 08' LR3 which already had a coil conversion done (Atlantic British), however it was not a lifted type and was very low for my use. I was asking around if when going to the bigger coils I needed to change the strut shocks too to allow for maximum travel. Even asked a reputible LR shop however never got a straight answer. I bought ARB OME 2" HD coils and put them on the existing struts. It drives super well and does great offroad however I'm wondering if I'd get more travel from a bigger shock. IMG_4186.jpg

garrycol

If your wheel travel is being limited by the shock travel then you will soon wreck your shocks. OME should be able to tell you if your shocks are correct for their springs or at least give you specs.

Garry

Old thread I know however this is the question I have. I have an 08' LR3 which already had a coil conversion done (Atlantic British), however it was not a lifted type and was very low for my use. I was asking around if when going to the bigger coils I needed to change the strut shocks too to allow for maximum travel. Even asked a reputible LR shop however never got a straight answer. I bought ARB OME 2" HD coils and put them on the existing struts. It drives super well and does great offroad however I'm wondering if I'd get more travel from a bigger shock. View attachment 573164

Nice pic and welcome to the thread; where is this taken?

Ray_G

Explorer
Old thread I know however this is the question I have. I have an 08' LR3 which already had a coil conversion done (Atlantic British), however it was not a lifted type and was very low for my use. I was asking around if when going to the bigger coils I needed to change the strut shocks too to allow for maximum travel. Even asked a reputible LR shop however never got a straight answer. I bought ARB OME 2" HD coils and put them on the existing struts. It drives super well and does great offroad however I'm wondering if I'd get more travel from a bigger shock. View attachment 573164

Your travel limitations will still exist even if you get a longer shock just based off the nature of the truck’s geometry. I believe, in part, that is why nobody spends a lot of time working out how to squeeze an extra inch of down travel out of the trucks with new shocks (I mean from manufacturers, not from individual owners who dwell on this quite a bit).

I had heard the shocks for the OME +2 setups and the regular height setups are the same-so you basically just made your truck into the +2. The one option you could explore is the Dobinson’s shocks, but would likely be worth parsing the data on those before just buying.
R-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles