First model year LR4.....what to look out for?

SexyExy

Observer
So I'm shopping both LR3's and LR4's. I generally like to buy the final production model year of a vehicle and always try to avoid the introduction model year. Regarding the LR4's, I only want a V8 so that limits me to 2010 to 2013 LR4's. Normally that is not an issue but there are so few LR4's for sale (compared to Toyota's, Jeeps etc) that I'm even considering the 2010 model.

Is there anything specific about the 2010 model that I should be aware of or avoid? I'm not seeing any major design updates in that 4 year production run, but manufacturers tend to screw up the first production model year and continue to make improvements as production moves forward....at least that has been my experience.

Any input or experience with the early production LR4's would be appreciated.

Kennyao30

Observer
I would say look for a 2012 or 2013, when I was looking for my LR4 I remember researching some of the parts for the 2010 are different from the 2011-2013 (specifically remember brake pads and caliper on the MY10 were different).
Also the navigation/infotainment on the '12 onward is vastly improved.... I'm sure that their are more improvements that I didn't mention but I would hold out for a '12 or '13

justuspost

Hello, I just went down this same path. I ended up with a 2013 LR4 33k mi, V8, Heavy Duty package (rear locker), Lux, Vision (lighting), Entertainment (TV headrest), towing, black exterior PKG and lots of LR upgrades. I paid exactly the same amount as I would have for any other LR4 of the same year & milage without the packages. I wanted CPO, low miles and big value. I was able to find what I wanted, but it took 3-4 months of searching and research, two major failed deals (completed paperwork, then fell apart) and ultimately we shipped this one from NY to OR, virtually sight unseen.

From my research, my budget and desires the 13 was what I wanted. 2010 will be less budget, but likely more miles and the earliest version of all options, like NAV (which I hear is slow and clunky in the older models). I believe the 10/11 had a couple minor issues mechanically that were sorted in the later models. Visually, it's very hard to tell the year. You will need to be able to visually identify any options of interest to you. VINs are not reliable for LRs and most sales people have NO clue what to look for. I learned this hard lesson after flying to Seattle to buy a truck that ended up not having the HD package. Long story. After looking at so many photos online, I have become an eagle eye spotting packages by identifiers. Example: if you see a photo of the inside of the driver door, the lock/unlock will either have 2 or 6 buttons, the other 4 being seat memory. If your 10-13 LR4 has 6 buttons, you're guaranteed that the truck has the Lux package. If it only has two, like the passenger door, that's a base truck.

If you're serious about plunking down $25-$50k, I suggest you know exactly what packages you require, would like to have (seats are tan or black), budget, and desired miles, etc. Then you can hunt by those parameters. 2-3 months into your search, if you're like me, you'll want to break down and take any old LR4 just to end the search process! There are a lot of LR4s out there, but only one is meant for you. 😀

Good luck!

628cecfcd0b48b891203f2ebdba111bd.jpg

SexyExy

Observer
Thanks for the input! Justuspost, that is a real beauty of an LR4. I'm not in the position where I have to have a vehicle asap, but like you said, after looking at a bunch of trucks you start to get antsy and want to just get it over with. I'd love to find an HD optioned LR4, but I've honestly just taken that out of the equation and more than willing to take a truck that checks off all the right boxes. I'd prefer a black interior but do not want a black exterior......and black exteriors are a very popular.

I'm also a bit of a prick in that I prefer a west coast truck. My daughters Disco II came from Pennsylvania and only spent about 6 years there. It is shocking at the amount of under chassis rust that these trucks can have. You'd think a vehicle that is built on an island surrounded by salt water would have the best rust proof capabilities built into it, lol. Also, I tend to find vehicles that are shipped into California from opposite ends of the USA can have a lot of stories with flood damage, etc.

As of now, I've compared against 100 Series Land Cruisers, 4Runners, Expeditions, Tahoes, older G-Wagons, etc and I keep coming back to the LR3/LR4 platform because of its user friendly 7 seat capacity, tons of usable storage when the seats are flat, awesome visibility and probably the best road feel of anything else in its class.

vasily

Adventurer
Nice LR4!

I'm venturing down this same path now. What tools did you use in your search? I'm using carguru and craigslist. Found some good stuff but not at the year/millage/price/package that I'm looking for.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I would consider early LR3's as the first model year while the LR4 was a upgrade to an existing platform.

In reality all built-in NAV systems are obsolete the year they are introduced. Reminds me of console entertainment systems from the 50's.

Make your short list of must have's and find the best vehicle whether 2010 or 2016.

PaulB1000

one point on the nav...my LR4 2010 'Old' Nav system is faster than the 2016. Which is overcomplicated and gets lost.

spikemd

Explorer
Nav? really? you use the nav in the vehicle? I prefer no nav as I use my phone, tablet or InReach for navigation.

I do believe the 2010 had a few hiccups as a number of improvements were made to instrumentation, total revamp of interior and new engine. The LR4 has more power than LR3 and definitely is more luxurious inside, the LR3 being more durable and plasticy.

Overall, LR4 is the best multi-use vehicle on the market for overlanding.

vasily

Adventurer
Hello, I just went down this same path. I ended up with a 2013 LR4 33k mi, V8, Heavy Duty package (rear locker), Lux, Vision (lighting), Entertainment (TV headrest), towing, black exterior PKG and lots of LR upgrades. I paid exactly the same amount as I would have for any other LR4 of the same year & milage without the packages. I wanted CPO, low miles and big value. I was able to find what I wanted, but it took 3-4 months of searching and research, two major failed deals (completed paperwork, then fell apart) and ultimately we shipped this one from NY to OR, virtually sight unseen.

From my research, my budget and desires the 13 was what I wanted. 2010 will be less budget, but likely more miles and the earliest version of all options, like NAV (which I hear is slow and clunky in the older models). I believe the 10/11 had a couple minor issues mechanically that were sorted in the later models. Visually, it's very hard to tell the year. You will need to be able to visually identify any options of interest to you. VINs are not reliable for LRs and most sales people have NO clue what to look for. I learned this hard lesson after flying to Seattle to buy a truck that ended up not having the HD package. Long story. After looking at so many photos online, I have become an eagle eye spotting packages by identifiers. Example: if you see a photo of the inside of the driver door, the lock/unlock will either have 2 or 6 buttons, the other 4 being seat memory. If your 10-13 LR4 has 6 buttons, you're guaranteed that the truck has the Lux package. If it only has two, like the passenger door, that's a base truck.

If you're serious about plunking down $25-$50k, I suggest you know exactly what packages you require, would like to have (seats are tan or black), budget, and desired miles, etc. Then you can hunt by those parameters. 2-3 months into your search, if you're like me, you'll want to break down and take any old LR4 just to end the search process! There are a lot of LR4s out there, but only one is meant for you.

Good luck!

628cecfcd0b48b891203f2ebdba111bd.jpg

All this is true. Took me 2 months to find "the one"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aek50

Adventurer
I picked up a 2012 almost two years ago after a 3 to 4 month search. Looking for a white (hides the pin stripping) HD package, black interior and certified. How many of those are there?

A saved search on Auto Trader worked well for me. Just adjust your filter and add "Heavy Duty" into the search parameter and it is pretty accurate pulling up HD packages as it is a listed package like Lux etc. when written up by a dealer. Currently I show 12 across the country including 5 2013s. But as mentioned before, verify prior to final purchase.

Also agree about the NAV, who cares. The system blows in any model year. Swear it has to call Nigel all the way back in the UK to check in before it comes on each time, takes so long. Just frustrating when have the lag on the back up camera and sensors until it is to late to warn you that you're backing into the car in the driveway behind you... Love the truck though 45,000 miles later.

Swear it has to call Nigel all the way back in the UK to check in before it comes on each time, takes so long. Just frustrating when have the lag on the back up camera and sensors until it is to late to warn you that you're backing into the car in the driveway behind you... Love the truck though 45,000 miles later.

I have my GAP tool programed so when I put the LR3 in reverse, it raises to off-road height so when I back over things, I don't scratch my bumper!

hahahhhahahahaaha JK JK....but what a good idea thought right? :smiley_drive::safari-rig:

Munky

i have a 2011 which i love but wish i found a 2102 with the upgraded infotainment. That being said i run an aux cable for iphone music and have learned to live with an aux cable. A few items to note. when i bought mine, the previous owner kept up with basic maintenance but was not as anal as I am. Control arm bushings, some interior cosmetic issues, and removal of side steps were immediate.

I looked at cpo trucks but realized the extra cost of the cpo only got you maybe an exrta 1-2 years of warranty depending on the year, and mileage limits made it a waste imho. I bought mine at carmax, got the big 5k warranty (5 years from purchase date-not inservice, and up to 125k) This has proven to be an excellent investment. While my rig has been relatively problem free, water pumps, control arm bushings, etc will fail at 60k and again at 120k depending on use.

Good luck with the search. lr4s are becoming harder to find-not many are trading or upgrading to the new disco....imho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles