Beating a dead horse, but.... Hiking boots?

BEG

Adventurer
Alico from sierra trading post. They are very well build and don't cost too much.

I second this. I bought a pair of Alico Summit boots in 2012:

I've since put on red accessory cord laces and many miles of trails and they've broken in wonderfully. They don't dissapoint: full grain leather, one-piece upper, leather lined interior, Norwegian welted Vibram block sole and made in Italy. With the frequent discounts that STP has floating around, they're pretty inexpensive as well. However, these boots (and pretty much all leather waffle-stompers) are heavy so you really want to make sure you need the extra support and burliness. I wear them when I have a pack or a kid in a carrier on my back, or if I'm trudging through some nasty stuff. Otherwise, I wear NB trail runners.

voodoojk

Adventurer
Just curious, but did you try another insole?

no i didn't.. my feet ached so bad and the hundreds of other shoes Ive worn never did it so i didn't bother. They are great build and quality just didn't work for me. I couldn't see myself putting in a $50 of high end insoles on top of the money i put out ( or i didnt have the spare cash to do so more like it. ) so i started over.

I am on my third pair of asolo 520's they are extremely durable, waterproof, and provide excellent protection on rocky trails and wet trails. I have walked across many streams and my feet stay dry unless the water goes over the top of the boot. They are heavy initially and do require a break in period. However all boots come down to personal preference.

krax

Adventurer
I understand your desire to avoid footwear made on cheap labor and it's getting harder to find shoes and boots made either in the US or Europe.

That said, I agree with those that are suggesting trail runners or approach shoes as an alternative to hiking boots. Less weight and more ventilation go a long way if you're wearing them all day. That goes for both actual hiking and just driving around. I'll wear hiking boots more often in colder weather, I suppose.

One argument I'll make for hiking boots is versatility when traveling. My Goretex, all-leather Danner boots are very functional (if heavy) hiking and outdoor footwear, but a quick hit of the buffing brush makes them suitable for jeans-and-sport-coat dinner outings. So less shoes to pack.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Hey all,

I've been digging around the forum doing a little research about hiking boots (I desperately need a pair). I haven't exactly found an answer to my unique(?) problem so here goes:

I'm looking for a pair of hiking boots. I really like the build quality of the European (especially Italian) stuff. I've tried Hanwags (fit ok, but uncomfortable), Salomon's (didn't fit my foot shape and too narrow), Zamberlan (amazing boots, my favorite by far, but also way too narrow) and AKU (decent, but crushed my big toes). I guess that while I'm not a "wide" in US sizes, I am in Europe?

I've tried on others too; Keen, but their quality has sure gone downhill. Oboz, which are nice enough but I'd rather stay away from Asian made stuff, as hard as that is. Sadly, Merrell's have been the most comfortable, but I'd wreck them in no time....

If you've got the time, I'd appreciate some expertise.
For what it's worth, Oboz boots are made in a Taiwanese owned factory with unbelievable hand-built quality for what they are. I watched a lengthy iPhone video shot by one of the Oboz reps a few years ago and it was unreal the amount of hands on detail that goes into every pair. I've been to some of the famous boot factories in Italy and while I certainly wouldn't put the Oboz factory on par with the likes of Crispi, Zamberlan, or a few others, it's crazy impressive.

If you want to try Salewa, this is the boot I would try. I have quite a few miles on the and they have a very soft, cushioned feel underfoot.

http://expeditionportal.com/trail-tested-salewa-alp-flow-mid-gtx/

tibfibber

Observer
I've tried on others too; Keen, but their quality has sure gone downhill. .

I wore the hell out of a pair of early Keens, and they seemed to be damn indestructible. I know the lineup has become quite diverse over the years, and like most manufacturers, is largely overseas (SEA, China or otherwise) ; so I was a bit surprised to learn they have an increasing number of shoes made in Portland OR. When I went looking for a new pair of steel toe, waterproof work boots I wound up with a pair of Braddock mids, that have served me very well - and for what it's worth, made up in Oregon. They're not hiking boots, but the classic Keen toe-box is a little clunky for climbing truss - but they are solid, well made boots made stateside, if you've have complaints with variable QA issues in the past.
https://gearjunkie.com/keen-built-in-usa

Last edited:

fisher205

Explorer
Try Danner. I have had great luck and fit in both their hunting and hiking boots. I primarily hike in trail runners now, but have a pair of Danner hiking boots that are not much heavier which I use if I need more support or foot protection. But really I wear them a lot just because they are comfortable. As previously stated, the bottom line, is do they fit your foot?

762X39

Explorer
Believe it or not..my favorite go to hikers are Hi Tech now. Inexpensive. Wear like iron and the best fitting boots ( for my feet) that i have worn in a long time. It may not be a $200 made in Italy hiking boot but for a last minute purchase @$59 1.5 years later they still are perfect just stink. So i will clean them and in the mean time..bought another $59 pair :)

View attachment 382327
I purchased 2 pairs of the above shown Hi-Tec's branded as Woods from Canadian Tire a year ago. I hiked over 100 km along the Bruce Trail with them and numerous smaller hikes every weekend or two. The fit (I am a size 12 or 13 wide depending on brand) is superb and the quality for the price ($60 CAD on sale) simply can't be beat.

Last edited:

Clawhammer

Adventurer
For what it's worth, Oboz boots are made in a Taiwanese owned factory with unbelievable hand-built quality for what they are. I watched a lengthy iPhone video shot by one of the Oboz reps a few years ago and it was unreal the amount of hands on detail that goes into every pair. I've been to some of the famous boot factories in Italy and while I certainly wouldn't put the Oboz factory on par with the likes of Crispi, Zamberlan, or a few others, it's crazy impressive.

If you want to try Salewa, this is the boot I would try. I have quite a few miles on the and they have a very soft, cushioned feel underfoot.

http://expeditionportal.com/trail-tested-salewa-alp-flow-mid-gtx/

Thanks for chiming in Chris. I was just doing some reading about the folks who run Oboz and despite off-shoring their production, they seem like a pretty good company to do business with.

The Salewa stuff looks good. I was actually just looking at their Alp Trainer Approach Shoe. Do they tend to run narrow though? That's seem to be my Achilles heel (see what I did there?).

Right now, I think I've got it narrowed down to the Oboz Bridger, Lowa Renegade GTX, or maybe a Salewa.

jackattack

Observer
La Sportiva makes some fantastic products.

I don't know if I would describe it as cushy, but I have really been enjoying the Synthesis mid gtx. They seem to bridge the gap well between boot-like support and the lightweight flexibility of a trail runner.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
La Sportiva makes some fantastic products.

I don't know if I would describe it as cushy, but I have really been enjoying the Synthesis mid gtx. They seem to bridge the gap well between boot-like support and the lightweight flexibility of a trail runner.
Love that shoe. I've used my Synthesis Mids to climb as high as 16,000 feet in Peru in the Cordillera Blanca. Love that product.

Clawhammer, I've got dozens of friends who own, manage, or work in the bicycle or outdoor industries, most of them are proud Americans and overlanders. The common theme many of them state again and again is that in many, perhaps most cases, the best manufacturing they can find is in Asia. Sometimes it is the ONLY manufacturing option they have. It's actually evolved to a point where I would rather own some Asian made bike and outdoor products than those made in Italy or anywhere else.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Clawhammer, I've got dozens of friends who own, manage, or work in the bicycle or outdoor industries, most of them are proud Americans and overlanders. The common theme many of them state again and again is that in many, perhaps most cases, the best manufacturing they can find is in Asia. Sometimes it is the ONLY manufacturing option they have. It's actually evolved to a point where I would rather own some Asian made bike and outdoor products than those made in Italy or anywhere else.

Your comment reminds me of a situation a friend of a friend found himself in. He's kind of "someone" in the world of musical instrument repairs and restoration, especially late 1800's/early 1900 stuff. He wanted to have some reproduction parts for these restorations made. I want to say certain parts for old banjos, but I forget exactly now, but I remember they were cast and plated metal. He tried to have them made in the US, but the only firms that could/would do it, wanted him to order some absurd number of parts (thousands more than he would ever need) and it would have cost him about what the original vintage parts go for (when they can even be found). Anyway, he wound up contacting several Asian companies, had some prototypes made up, decided which one was the best-made and closet to the originals, and went with that firm.

I guess what I'm saying (and I think you are too) is that while there certainly is a lot of junk made overseas, if a business puts in the legwork, they can have good work done there as well. Maybe there's where the bad rap for off-shored stuff actually comes from. Not so much the location it's manufactured, but from the guys who make the decisions wanting to go with the cheapest stuff they can get done as opposed to having something well.

Looks like I've hijacked my own thread.... :p

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this is repetitive..., but after three years of limping around I found these:
http://www.hokaoneone.com/tor-footwear/tor-ultra-hi-wp/1008334.html.

They are very light, water proof and last me for about 1 year per pair. The colors are pretty obnoxious, but this year they released black and tan models.

I have very wide feet and a "Taylor's bunionette" on the left. The final answer after years of searching was to buy these shoes 1.5 sizes larger than I needed, buy a set of shoe stretchers, widen both shoes where my pinky toes are, install these inserts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N2NJVG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to raise my problem areas above the rand, and wear thick REI wool socks. This puts the tender area against the leather which is now soft and shaped to fit my bunionette.

It's a pricey solution and takes a bit of work, but I can finally wear shoes all day long and have no pain at all. LOTSA cushioning. And, not a single podiatrist made a buck off of me. :)

You may want to give it a try. My mistake was to hike for one summer in Vibram Five Fingers. It seriously screwed up my arches from pack weight and caused the bunionette. The single dumbest thing I've ever done. Good luck.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Hey all,

I've been digging around the forum doing a little research about hiking boots (I desperately need a pair). I haven't exactly found an answer to my unique(?) problem so here goes:

I'm looking for a pair of hiking boots. I really like the build quality of the European (especially Italian) stuff. I've tried Hanwags (fit ok, but uncomfortable), Salomon's (didn't fit my foot shape and too narrow), Zamberlan (amazing boots, my favorite by far, but also way too narrow) and AKU (decent, but crushed my big toes). I guess that while I'm not a "wide" in US sizes, I am in Europe?

I've tried on others too; Keen, but their quality has sure gone downhill. Oboz, which are nice enough but I'd rather stay away from Asian made stuff, as hard as that is. Sadly, Merrell's have been the most comfortable, but I'd wreck them in no time....

Anyway, would any of you all happen to know if there are any other high quality (American or European) brands that would run a little wider? (I've heard some Salewa boots might be OK. Lowa offer a W size, but I've heard in recent years they've had problems with de-lamination. Scarpa has a few wide sizes, but man they're pricey and the same goes for Danner).

I'm trying to stay under $200, need something for day hiking and maybe an occasional short backpack trip. I like a cushier insole than most boots seem to offer (like the Merrell's), and waterproof would be nice. I know it's a lot to ask, but would anyone happen to know of a boot that might make the cut? I live in the middle of no where and will be mail-ordering if that's a factor.

If you've got the time, I'd appreciate some expertise.

Based on my experience from working in Outdoor Retail in the early 2000's, I've got the following observations:
Width:
Different manufacturers have different width lasts, roughly it was:
Narrower: Scarpa*, Zamberlain, Salomon
Mid: Merrell, Berghaus, Hanwag
Wider: Brasher, Meindl, Lowa, Raichle (now Mammut IIRC), Keen, TNF,
*Different lasts available, but on the whole they were narrower unless you specifically got the wider last

Now it seems that Brasher have been bought out by Berghaus, but their range seems very similar to what it was in the past.

The other thing I've found is that manufacturers size slightly differently - I can't get a 12.5UK in some styles, but if I can get a 48EUR then I'm pretty sorted (and it has to be a 48EUR not a 13.5US/12.5UK/47.xEuro as that is often wrong)

Also in Australia, a Scarpa SL in 48 was too wide (they use the BXX last) but in the UK a 48 is fine (they use the BX last), so some more bits to consider...

Alternatively, look at something like Alt-Berg who are a small manufacturer in Yorkshire if you really want European made boots that are a bit wider... http://www.altberg.co.uk/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles