Beating a dead horse, but.... Hiking boots?

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Hey all,

I've been digging around the forum doing a little research about hiking boots (I desperately need a pair). I haven't exactly found an answer to my unique(?) problem so here goes:

I'm looking for a pair of hiking boots. I really like the build quality of the European (especially Italian) stuff. I've tried Hanwags (fit ok, but uncomfortable), Salomon's (didn't fit my foot shape and too narrow), Zamberlan (amazing boots, my favorite by far, but also way too narrow) and AKU (decent, but crushed my big toes). I guess that while I'm not a "wide" in US sizes, I am in Europe?

I've tried on others too; Keen, but their quality has sure gone downhill. Oboz, which are nice enough but I'd rather stay away from Asian made stuff, as hard as that is. Sadly, Merrell's have been the most comfortable, but I'd wreck them in no time....

Anyway, would any of you all happen to know if there are any other high quality (American or European) brands that would run a little wider? (I've heard some Salewa boots might be OK. Lowa offer a W size, but I've heard in recent years they've had problems with de-lamination. Scarpa has a few wide sizes, but man they're pricey and the same goes for Danner).

I'm trying to stay under $200, need something for day hiking and maybe an occasional short backpack trip. I like a cushier insole than most boots seem to offer (like the Merrell's), and waterproof would be nice. I know it's a lot to ask, but would anyone happen to know of a boot that might make the cut? I live in the middle of no where and will be mail-ordering if that's a factor.

If you've got the time, I'd appreciate some expertise.

psykokid

Explorer
I ran into the same problem with Salomon's, too narrow. If you've got average american feet then stay away from La Sportiva. Their lasts are notoriously narrow. My feet arent super wide and I've found that Keen and Oboz fit well but the durability of those two brands has been less than stellar in my experience. I use Altra's for trail running and their wider toe box works really well for me. As far as actual boots, I have a pair of Asolo mountaineering boots that fit my feet perfectly. Asolo, Salewa, and Scarpa are the brands that I would look towards. Also, once you start to get into the class of boots that have heel and or toe welts for crampon use, the stiffness of the boot sole really rockets up. Good for snowy conditions, but for general hiking they are way too stiff.

That being said, I switched from hiking and backpacking in boots to using trail runners exclusively about two years ago and never looked back. I've hiked and backpacked around 600 miles total in the last two years, all in trail runners. I wear light weight trail running gaiters when hiking to keep dirt and other debris out of my shoes. If you feel like you need the extra ankle support that a mid offers then Altra makes a mid version of their Lone Peak series of shoes.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
In my experiences buying boots, narrow your choices first to what brands fit your foot. After that, read some reviews when it comes to quality to make sure what your buying is a good product and narrow your choices from there.

This is how I chose my Vasque hiking boots (which I love) even though I originally wanted Saloman's. Issue with the Saloman's for me was they just didn't fit my foot. Did the same thing when buying cowboy boots, only boot that really fit my foot well was Anderson Bean (sucks that they are so expensive).

tarditi

Explorer
Have you tried trail runners? I switched out of boots a few years ago and never looked back - logged a few sections of the AT and many, many miles overland.

Check out some of the hiking forums - I'm on WhiteBlaze.Net too.

perterra

Adventurer
I'd worry less about where they come from and more about what fits. I wrecked my feet with a pair of Salomons. Developed a neuroma within a week of buying them. I normally tried to stay with Italian boots, but after the neuroma, I'm in Hoka One One high top Tor Summits and getting ready to pick up a pair of the Tor Ultra. The Summits are for all practical purpose, high top trail runners with vibram soles.

http://www.hokaoneone.com/men-hiking/

I prefer Italian, but after the problem developed, they are just too narrow.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I use Altra's for trail running and their wider toe box works really well for me.

Have you tried trail runners? I switched out of boots a few years ago and never looked back

I've considered trail runners before. I like the idea of a light, durable, flexing shoe a lot, but I don't think they'd take the abuse I tend to subject my boots to. And, as lame as it might seem, I just can't get past the styling ��. Maybe I just need to get over myself there though.

Burb One

Adventurer
Have you tried trail runners? I switched out of boots a few years ago and never looked back - logged a few sections of the AT and many, many miles overland.

Check out some of the hiking forums - I'm on WhiteBlaze.Net too.

This. Anything in remotely nice weather, good trail runners. I now pretty much only wear boots doing yard work at home, crappy walking day in the city, around camp and when there's snow or cold water on the ground.

One of my buddy's did the California section of PCT and started with boots, he quickly noticed everyone going the opposite way who were through hikers were all in trail runners. After a few hundred miles he switched and said it felt like he was on fresh legs everyday after breaking them in. After he came back and we went hiking I bought some trail runners and haven't looked back either.

Haven't looked back.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I like my Oboz, but honestly my next boots will have a Vibram sole. From my experience in loos rock and wet rock the vibram sole on my old north face boots were tons better than my oboz sole. You need Christophe the boot fetish king to chime in.

I'm a huge fan of the Asolo Reston. It's really almost all I wear everyday of the year. Last year I logged 4,007.3 miles in my boots. I've got a spare pair with me while I'm traveling now cause I don't want to go a day without them. As the insole begins to wear, I'll swap them out with a set of Super Feet until the boot wears out. These boots worked great on my climbing trip to Nepal last year. I used them in sub zero temperatures at an altitude of 18,000'. They did take on water on the descent when the snow was melting but that was pretty extreme conditions. I'm guessing I'm on pair number seven maybe. Believe me I went through a ton of boots before coming across these. I've been hiking and climbing mountains for decades. Check them out.....

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
For hiking I say try approach shoes...they are great for hiking, rocky, steep, wet terrain,and can take the abuse unlike some runing shoes...
I wear mine on all sorts of hikes, canyons, and climbs.

Joe917

Explorer
The most important thing is fit . If they fit, I would highly recommend Vasque. The first pair I bought started to separate between the mid and outsole after only a month. Since we were in Labrador and over 1000Km from a Vasque dealer I sent them an email with photos, told them I would repair them myself and contact them when I could. They sent me a replacement pair, no charge, no quibbles, great support.

voodoojk

Adventurer
I tried oboz and destroyed my feet. My arches ached for weeks until i finally took that $150 pair of boots and threw them in the trash.

Last pair of keens ripped my heels apart. Some weird seem in the heel but i will say Keen took care of me and refunded me my money even after wearing them for a few weeks and throwing in the towel on them.

Believe it or not..my favorite go to hikers are Hi Tech now. Inexpensive. Wear like iron and the best fitting boots ( for my feet) that i have worn in a long time. It may not be a $200 made in Italy hiking boot but for a last minute purchase @$59 1.5 years later they still are perfect just stink. So i will clean them and in the mean time..bought another $59 pair :)

HiTechAltitudeLite.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm a huge fan of the Asolo Reston. It's really almost all I wear everyday of the year. Last year I logged 4,007.3 miles in my boots. I've got a spare pair with me while I'm traveling now cause I don't want to go a day without them. As the insole begins to wear, I'll swap them out with a set of Super Feet until the boot wears out. These boots worked great on my climbing trip to Nepal last year. I used them in sub zero temperatures at an altitude of 18,000'. They did take on water on the descent when the snow was melting but that was pretty extreme conditions. I'm guessing I'm on pair number seven maybe. Believe me I went through a ton of boots before coming across these. I've been hiking and climbing mountains for decades. Check them out.....
I tried asolo but they were way to narrow and I don't think I have wide feet. The OP mentioned having slightly wider than normal feet. I would say definitely try them on in person don't order online. They do look like we'll built boots though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles