Beating a dead horse, but.... Hiking boots?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just got a pair of New Balance MT10v4 trail runners from REI for $56 (half price). All they had left was size 14 ---- for once it worked out for old bigfoot...
They fit great. We'll be hiking this weekend and I should be able to put 30 or 40 miles on them between beerfests at the campfire.
They weigh nothing. Sole is Vibram and thicker than my MTv1 that I wear every day to the gym. I like the 1 but I can feel too many rocks with them on real hikes.

https://www.rei.com/product/899123/...unning-shoes-mens?CAWELAID=120217890002511692
https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Mens-10v4-Trail/dp/B015XCR656?th=1

M10V43.jpg
We hit the rockiest steepest trails we could find over the long weekend and I'm very happy with these. I got them soaking wet, muddy, and subjected them to sharp rocks and steep slippery scrud. No problems at all.
Tossed them in the laundry when we got home last night, good as new and ready to go again.
Nifty trail shoe. Not as minimalist as usual but that's what I was looking for to avoid foot bruising on sharp rocks.
Win.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I love my salomons, but I picked up a new pair of the north face WP low hikers. Very comfortable....99 bucks to boot! sweet! My last pair of salomons were 180 bucks.

Dalko43

Explorer
When you say hiking, make sure you know exactly how you intend to use them. "Hiking" to some means going up and down some relatively easy and mostly mud-free trails...to others, it means going off trail and bushwhacking through all kinds of mud and/or rough terrain. Some so-called hiking boots are better suited to withstand such abuse while others aren't. Also, will you plan on carrying heavy or no load on your back? Again, the profile of boot you choose will depend on how much weight you intend to carry.

I picked up pair of Salomon's and used them for some really aggressive bushwhacking and backpacking....they lasted ~3 seasons before one of them started to fall apart (at the sole and the nylon/suede fabric on the upper). I wasn't too happy about that, so I'll be looking at other boots within Salomon's lineup and other brands all together.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hiking to me means established trails like the BMT, AT, Graveyard Fields, things in the national parks and off the BRP. Rocky and often muddy.
My backpack is a an Osprey Kestral 38 and rarely exceeds 20 pounds. And a long day for me is 15 miles ---- 5-10 is normal.

There are big differences based on use. Driving vs bushwacking vs hiking vs backpacking vs hunting. If you start to combine your pursuits, you have to compromise or bring extra shoes...

zoom17

Zoom
I have a pair, they are OK. They are light but they have a waterproof material as a liner in them that makes my feet really hot.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I just get a new pair of Hitek boots every year about 2 sizes too big and wear two pair of heavy wool socks year round. I can seem to find them on sale evertime I need new ones for around $30-$40 bucks. I donate the old ones to any convenient thrift shop. I hate waterproof boots but they all seem to be made that way now.

justbecause

perpetually lost
you have to compromise or bring extra shoes...

"why do you have 3 pairs of shoes"
"I dont, I have 2 and a pair of sandals"
-she rolls her eyes-

"why do you need so many jackets?"
"well, this is a light jacket/first layer, this is a shell, this one looks nice if we go somewhere to eat."

"we can't go there, I dont have anything to wear."
I roll my eyes at her.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Still enjoying a pair of LaSportiva Glaciers. Made in Italy by an old-time boot company (which means that they're also great to wear when you go out for pizza).

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Back in the boot market again. I love my oboz, but I sprayed them with green dye on accident doing some yard work. Anyone have experience with the Asolo Jumla?

Last edited:

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
Asolo Powermatic 200GV.

Mammut/Raichle used to make a Mt Trail XT GTX that was excellent, but it is no longer produced.

I gave up lightweight / ultralight hiking boots once i found these.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Asolo Powermatic 200GV.

Mammut/Raichle used to make a Mt Trail XT GTX that was excellent, but it is no longer produced.

I gave up lightweight / ultralight hiking boots once i found these.

I almost tried them on last weekend but was in the store for the wife to get lightweight Salomon. They will be fine for her once a month hikes but they would only last me 6 months. The light weight jobs get too soft in one spot and too hard in the next if they are not ripped up by then. My Zamberlands are built like yours and are 4 years old. They feel like slippers. The will be comphy and suportive until my toes pop thru. By the looks of them that may not be long. I hike every day at least a 2.5 mile rocky loop. Could you imagine what 3/4 of the sneaker shoebooties posted on here would look like in 6 months? They would not make it. Wish I would have tried the a Asolo 200 GV on but since you know boots you can see that mine are still great! I love these boots.

image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke