Beating a dead horse, but.... Hiking boots?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I know...I was kidding...yeah you have the same size foot as my son....his buddy has 17's. like walking around with two waterski's strapped to your feet!
14wide is bad enough. 17 would be a life sentence without hope of parole.

It's expensive to be an odd size. My wife and other average-sized people have options like Walmart for clothes. I have to mail-order everything and pay full price.
Big & tall stores cater to a different demographic ----- purple shirts, bright yellow ties, etc. At least around here; it's the NBA demographic, not overlanders...

Clawhammer

Adventurer
For what's it worth guys (and in case anyone doesn't feel like reading 8 or 9 pages of stuff), I wound up settling on a pair of Lowa's. Considering I have fairly wide feet (with a left that's wider and a right that's longer, plus high arches.... :rolleyes: ...) it made things harder than it really should have been. My goal was to buy a pair of boots for around two bills, preferably made in either the US or Europe. Not the easiest task anyway, right?

I tried a ton of pretty high-end brands (Anhu, AKU, Keen, Hanwag, Merrell, Salomon, Oboz, Zamberlans, and I forget what all else). Some I only had on for a few minutes (all I could stand), some I gave a longer test (multiple days). If anyone's interested in one very subjective opinion that's worth just what you're paying for it, here's my brief evaluations:

Zamberlans - I tried two different pairs. Best by far. Super well made, very comfortable, but a little bulky. Unfortunately, they run too narrow for me.
Hanwag - Also well made, a little less comfortable, reasonably priced. I probably could have lived with these but kept looking.
Merrell - Tried a couple different models. Comfortable, easy to find, but I was concerned about durability though since they don't have the best record of longevity.
Salomon - I couldn't give specifics other than to say they were so uncomfortable that I wondered if I had them on the wrong feet. They just didn't fit my feet at all. They were good looking, light and well-made though so I was pretty bummed.
Keen - I just didn't like the looks of, but that's subjective of course. They were ok, but just didn't wow me. Not bad though.

Anhu's, AKU's and Oboz all seemed decently made but just didn't fit my foot shape. They weren't bad, but I knew I could do better. (With Oboz and Anhu it was the arch shape, AKU it was the toe box pinching). YMMV, but I've heard other people echo these complaints. (And If anyone wants specific models of these brands, I could look them up, but don't recall off the top of my head).

So anyway, I settled on Lowa Renegades. They're pretty comfy out of the box, but I expect them to get better as the leather gets broken in. The toe box is nice and wide. Good traction. Waterproof, which after recent flooding here I can say with certainty. I was able to get them on sale, which was nice. I'm mildly concerned about sole delamination which I've seen pictures of online. It seems like there were a period were this was a problem, but from what I can tell the time frame was limited. Maybe some defective adhesive or something? Seems like this happened in 2014 and 15? I specifically bought my boots from REI so I'd have a year to return them, should this happen. Overall, I'm happy with my decision. No boot is perfect from what I can see, but Lowa seemed as close as I was going to get. I'm looking forward to really putting them through their paces in the Rockies this summer, but after using them for short hikes, I think I'm pretty happy.

Anyway, if you're looking for boots for wider feet maybe this thread could help you out. Thanks again for all the advice and opinions!

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

It's expensive to be an odd size. My wife and other average-sized people have options like Walmart for clothes. I have to mail-order everything and pay full price.
Big & tall stores cater to a different demographic ----- purple shirts, bright yellow ties, etc. At least around here; it's the NBA demographic, not overlanders...

Yeah, he plays hockey and snowboards too. I am good friends with his dad and they have to custom order everything. but the kid is 6'7" tall too....MONSTER!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

I'd be curious to see how the inov8s hold up, I use to work out in some super light weight inov8s, they just don't look sturdy enough imo.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd be curious to see how the inov8s hold up, I use to work out in some super light weight inov8s, they just don't look sturdy enough imo.
That's why I haven't bought a pair yet....

Frankly, these days I only wear the Keen Durands I own when the weather is sloppy and the hike will have mud. I wear the lighter Keens if it's a mix day and the Topo trail runners the rest of the time.
The trail runners aren't quite protection enough from sharp rocks so I'm hoping that the Innov8 product might do the trick. I love to hike but I'm old and my body aches afterward if the shoes ain't right...

krax

Adventurer
They won't wear like all-leather boots, but they are good shoes. Not all Inov8 shoes are of minimalist construction.

If you like that style (mid-top trail runner), also check out Salomon and Hoka mids.

jackattack

Observer
Hoka mids.

I'm a big guy. Usually, I weigh in between 230 and 245, depending on how much time I spend on the bike.

The Hoka Tor mid is the worst "boot" I've ever owned in my life. Both my wife and I experienced severe blistering in the same location due to material choice and seam placement. We have quite different feet and body types. I was able to find a manufacturer defect and get my money back. Despite our displeasure, Hoka told us "too bad" in my wife's case. She now wears them for trips to the dog park and winter walks close to home, which is, I presume, what they're designed for.

My experience with Inov8 is that they are good quality, but their emphasis on minimalism and weight savings sacrifices support. I noticed extra fatigue in my feet after long efforts with a pack. I still wear them for fast summer hikes. You can feel sharp rocks through them like a sandal.

I'll reiterate my support for the La Sportival Synthesis Mid. It's flexible enough to run in but stiff enough to offer adequate support. So far no blisters.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I like/want minimalist ----- ordered the Inov8.....
I don't hike really really fast and use poles when it's over 5 miles. That helps with sharp rocks.
Most important thing to me is fit.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Looking forward to a review on them from a larger individual. Sometimes we get shoe reviews from the 165lb size 9 crowd and it's just not the same.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Another failure.

It runs small and narrow. Doesn't come in a larger or wider size.
Seems really well made and would've been just what I was looking for. Light, flexible. A sneaker-boot with really good traction.

Bummer.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Ha.
I just got off the phone with a very pleasant Scottish woman from LEMS. I had ordered a pair of the Boulder Boots in all leather:
https://www.lemsshoes.com/mens-boulder-boot-leather-russet/
They had a sale...
I ordered the 48 and it doesn't fit. Dang. The Mariner II in a 48 fits perfectly.

So, chatting about returning the boots, turns out she's a Jeep owner. So I told her about us, how we travel, how we hike, how we drive, how we do it all at once and need the perfect boots for it.
And she says they're developing new products that we might find appealing. And larger sizes.
A LEMS hiker would be sweet. Tougher than their fashion stuff, comfortable, flexible so that the clutch can tell you what's going on.

I'm very hopeful.

old .45

Observer
Ha.
I just got off the phone with a very pleasant Scottish woman from LEMS. I had ordered a pair of the Boulder Boots in all leather:
https://www.lemsshoes.com/mens-boulder-boot-leather-russet/
They had a sale...
I ordered the 48 and it doesn't fit. Dang. The Mariner II in a 48 fits perfectly.

So, chatting about returning the boots, turns out she's a Jeep owner. So I told her about us, how we travel, how we hike, how we drive, how we do it all at once and need the perfect boots for it.
And she says they're developing new products that we might find appealing. And larger sizes.
A LEMS hiker would be sweet. Tougher than their fashion stuff, comfortable, flexible so that the clutch can tell you what's going on.

I'm very hopeful.
You only get one pair of feet.......that being said... Danner... do not skimp!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior