Land Cruiser 80 vs 100.

Box Rocket

I can't disagree that the 100 series for daily driving and towing is more comfortable than an 80 series. If you like to typical "overland" style driving which is generally easy to moderate level dirt roads and trails the IFS of the 100 will also be more comfortable, generally. That said, the 80 is a great vehicle. Don't be fooled by the comments. An 80 is still a very comfortable ride especially with a quality suspension upgrade. Is it as smooth as a 100 series, no, but they are still very good. I have no problem saying an 80 will be a dramatic step up from your XJ in terms of quality and comfort.
FWIW I daily drive my 80 which is also our primary offroader and it sees a lot of trails use. I also tow with it. Granted most of what I tow is my offroad trailer that is roughly 2500lbs fully loaded down so it's not that much weight and the 80 tows it just fine even in the mountains. If you want to haul a big camp trailer or a boat or something bigger, the 80 isn't the best choice for sure, but towing smaller loads with an 80 is nowhere near as bad as some people like to think.
I would echo the advice to find the lowest mileage, most well maintained and newest cruiser you can afford. Although I wouldn't have age be the primary factor. I'd take a well maintained 80 every time over a newer 100 series with unknown history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94