$100 trailer build

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
IH8RDS said:
I tried to be a courteous as I could when I was working on my trailer. The wire wheel resonated through the tub, sparks flew and the constant scream of the angle grinder, but the end product was aesthetically pleasing so they didn’t mind. lol

Is a 60” beam is big enough? What is the wms to wms? I built mine to 67”. Sounds like a good deal on the axle for $117 with hubs. I think I paid less then $100 for my spindles, hubs and axle straps. I already had the 2x2 box tube though.

I think 60" will work fine. It is a bit narrower than a "normal" 4x6 trailer, so it should be good. I'll have to grind off the standard spring perches and re-weld them to the 45 1/4" centers of my leafs.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a set of 3 31" MTs and steel Jeep rims (freebie!), hopefully they will fit.

IH8RDS

Explorer
Honestly, instead of grinding off the old perches, just weld new ones on. Less risk of damaging the integrity of the tube by removing and re welding the perches.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
IH8RDS said:
Honestly, instead of grinding off the old perches, just weld new ones on. Less risk of damaging the integrity of the tube by removing and re welding the perches.

I would, but the new perches would overlap the existing ones; it came with 48" centers, and I need 45" centers. Not enough space between the two to keep the old perches.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
IllianaXJ said:
Adds up quick, so much for a cheap project.
Yep, but it still is cheap compared to what you normlly pay for a trailer like this. And I am sure there are enough Expo members that would take it off your hands if you decide that it really gets too expensive. So, just call it a secure investment.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Axle beam is at my buddy's shop for new perches, should be back tomorrow for install.

Ran into a slight snag today mocking things up though. The free wheels I got have too much backspacing and only leave 1/8" clearance b/w the wheel and the leaf spring, so I know the tires will rub. Solution looks to be a set of alloy wheel spacers. Sure I could get new wheels, but that would be more expensive than a pair of spacers. I'm not afraid of them, my XJ has spacers front and rear without a bit of problem.

I guess if it was easy we wouldn't appreciate the final product as much :rolleyes:

IH8RDS

Explorer
I would try the exchange first, but 1 1/4 spacers or 1 1/2 will get you just right. I run spacers on my 8.8 and have had no issure either.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Next widest axle at TSC is 70", which would be way too wide. I've got a line on a set of spacers on ebay for pretty cheap, so that's the plan for right now.

jatibb

Adventurer
if you have access to a welder, which i believe you said something baout welding something else on the trailer, why not buy wide, cuto section out to exact width you need and sleeve and weld back together. i did this to a 3500# axle cut down to 58" to fit mine, actually it is clamped in place with a sleeve now for, for road use only, and has been fine .

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
prepmech said:
Better get to finishing it quick if it is going to make it to the Redbird trail clean-up!

Axle is ready, and I'm going to mount the tires tomorrow. It should all be bolted up and ready to go by Thursday, then I just need to wait until I get the wheel spacers in to get it buttoned up.

Deadline is Friday the 17th, we're going camping and need the trailer to haul our stuff.

BigAl said:
I like the old school look of the rolled top edge:)

Me too, and I think I am going to leave it in its "patina" look for a while, kinda gives it character. That and its ugly enough nobody will want to steal it :D

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Haha, considering there's fools that are sliding under vehicles and stealing cats with sawzall's don't under estimte anything lol.. They'd steal if for the scrap. Maybe charge it with 220v when it's at home lol.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
True, although steel prices have gone down around here. I keep it locked up with a padlock through the hitch and will probably use some sort of cable lock through the wheels and around the axle once finished.

More pics to come tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior