$100 trailer build

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Made a little more progress today.

Axle underneath and in place. If you notice missing u-bolts, that is because TSC's standard u-bolts are too short. Longer bolts are on order.

DSCN0188.jpg

Mounted the 4xRac and HiLift:

DSCN0191.jpg

And of course my big helper (why she rolled her ankles I dunno):

DSCN0194.jpg

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
If I can find a set, I'll definitely add them.

Got the ubolts and wheel spacers installed yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't test fit the free 31s I got, and they rub both the trailer tub and the fender flare. Dang. At least they were free. Tomorrow's mission is to find some cheap 30x9.5s or 235/75s locally. I'll keep my eye out for a deal on 30s, I just need something to get this thing operational.

jatibb

Adventurer
i do believe you and i may be thinking alike here,cheapcheapcheap
im trying to keep scosts down also, i tried jeep wheels,ford ranger 4wd wheels on my trailer. neith had the spacing i needed. a friend works at a tire store here in town and got me 2 15x7 white wagon wheels for $30 ea. that and some used 30-9.5-15 tires for another $30. hard to beat for the money, and saved lots o'leg work. ask around. those wheels are failry cheap everywhere. but dont let em talk you out of them if you know what backspacing you need, order the wheels that will work. reason being when i explained this to the tire guy, he said "yeah, most of the time vehicle wheels wont work on trailer axles w/out spacers" someone in the back said "never". i didnt want spacers because i have a torsion tube axle and they seem kinda weak at the ends anyway. i didnt want more stress on the "joint".i told him to order the 15x7 and they are fine.

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
How strong is that tongue? After seeing bent and twisted tongues on trailers I am not a fan of single piece tongues. Other than that I am very jealous of your trailer.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
jatibb said:
a friend works at a tire store here in town and got me 2 15x7 white wagon wheels for $30 ea. that and some used 30-9.5-15 tires for another $30. hard to beat for the money, and saved lots o'leg work.

Good call. I'll check the tire stores tomorrow.

Atticus_1354 said:
How strong is that tongue? After seeing bent and twisted tongues on trailers I am not a fan of single piece tongues. Other than that I am very jealous of your trailer.

Seems strong enough, but I'm not too worried. The most extreme stuff this trailer will probably see is a dirt road in the national forest while filled with coolers, tents and firewood. IIRC it is 2" box tubing.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Phase 1 Complete.

Swapped the balding 31s for 2 almost new Uniroyal ATs and a brand new Michelin for the spare, all 3 in 235/75/15. I think that will work out better than the 31s anyway.

HPIM1424.jpg

HPIM1425.jpg

It pulls beautifully behind the Durango, and sits just about level with the proper drawbar. It will still sit high in front when hooked up to the Jeep, but not as bad.

Phase 1 Total: $425. Not bad IMO. I may throw an ammo can on the tongue for straps/padlock/spare bearings/etc also.

Phase 2 will eventually bring a paint job for both the tub and wheels. That's gonna be a ways away though.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Finally got to use the trailer over the weekend. Took the family to Brown County State Park to camp and enjoy the fall colors. Unfortunately the camera took a dump after taking exactly one picture, so no pics.

Everything went smoothly, with only one hiccup. About 3/4 the way there, I hit some train tracks a little faster than usual, and it caused the trailer axle to shift over a bit. This in turn made the P/S tire rub on the tub, making a delightful noise and smell on right turns. We didn't figure out exactly what had happened until we got to camp, but I repaired it easily and had zero problems on the way home. The tire has a slick spot rubbed in the sidewall, but nothing to be concerned about.

On a semi-related note, before the trip I installed Airlift bags on the Durango since I knew it would sag with all of us and enough support equipment for 3 small children, and they improved the ride and handling of the truck immensely.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
sseaman said:
updates? pics?

Nothing really. I used it a couple times to drag stuff home from the junkyard, but nothing has changed on it.

Paint if it happens will be in the spring.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Used the XJ and trailer today for something productive. The front of the house finally looks presentable. Other than that, its been sitting waiting patiently to go camping again.

DSCN0321.jpg

BlueBomber

Adventurer
you said you were'nt gonna paint the box, what about the underside? are you gonna paint it or throw some bedliner at it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior