$100 trailer build

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
I stumbled across this "homemade" utility trailer on craigslist, and for the $100 asking price I couldn't pass it up. I haven't picked it up yet, as I won't be in the Indianapolis area for a couple weeks, but I wanted to share it and my plans with you guys. It will mainly be used as a utility trailer around the house, and as a pack mule for camping/wheeling trips.

Basic specs (per the CL listing):

4'x6'
all steel construction
straight axle w/leafs

Only known issues - lights may/may not work and it needs a hitch coupler. Keep in mind I haven't seen it yet, so it may need more work, but for $100, I can always resell it or probably scrap it to get my $$ back if it is really rough.

Pics:

CLtrailer.jpg

CLtrailer2.jpg

CLtrailer3.jpg

The plan right now is to get it home, put on a proper coupler (LokNRoll would be sweet, but is way out of my price range), re-wire it and re-do the lights. I'll probably go through and re-pack the bearings as well. Eventually I'd like to sand it down and paint it Krylon Flat Tan or Krylon OD.

I will definitely post more pics once I get it here, and along the build process.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Nice find!! If its all steel it should be a great trailer. When you pick it up please post more pics.

Congrats,

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Picked it up yesterday and already did a little work on it. The lights were hacked up and didn't work, so I threw on a pair of LED trailer style lights to make the trip home. The wiring job isn't up to my standards, but I had to make do with the connectors in the kit since all of my stuff is back home. I'll go through and do it right next week. I'll need to fab up new light brackets also, the stud spacing on the old lights was narrower than the new ones.

Rust is a little more than I thought, but still isn't too bad. The tires will need replaced and I'd like to put a different set of wheels on as well. The bolt pattern looks to be 5x5.5 (closest I can measure with the wheel on), so rims shouldn't be too hard to find.

The hitch is the first thing that needs attention. Right now we're using a farm-style clevis receiver and a large bolt to attach it to the Durango. It works but I don't trust it enough to leave it that way. A 2" ball hitch will be installed this week ASAP.

Now on to new pics:

HPIM2282.jpg

HPIM2283.jpg

HPIM2284.jpg

HPIM2285.jpg

HPIM2286.jpg

HPIM2287.jpg

HPIM2288.jpg

HPIM2289.jpg

I still have less than $200 in it;

$100 - purchase price
$30 - clevis receiver @ TSC
$5 - large bolt/washers/nut @ TSC
$15 - beer for my buddy that kept it at his place for me
$45 - LED light kit @ Advance Auto

Any progress from here may be slow, depending on budget and time constraints, but I'll continually update the thread.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Got a 2" ball hitch welded on yesterday and decided to repack the bearings while I had the day off. Found out the d/s hub is bent enough the tire has a bad wobble to it. I noticed it on the way home but figured on a bad bearing or loose spindle nut. Here's the problem; the PO used the axle/spindles/hubs from an old Ford (1928-1931 Model A!!). Replacement hub = $179, new bearings ~$50 at Advance. So much for a cheap trailer.

New plan - new axle assembly/hubs from Tractor Supply. Benefit here is I gain a 5x4.5 bolt pattern, same as my Jeep. I also happen to have 3 tires/wheels sitting behind the shed I can use. Maybe not such a bad plan after all.

New project breakdown:

$195 so far
$70 - old hitch cut off, new one welded on (included hitch)
$120 - axle beam + hubs

Adds up quick, so much for a cheap project. Oh well, getting there is half the fun, right?

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Little update, finally got some spare cash and time to work on this thing.

Pulled the axle out to make room for the new beam: (my neighbors love me :D)

DSCN0184.jpg

Cleaned up and painted the 4xRac to mount a HiLift on the front of the trailer, I'll post pics once I get that done.

New axle should be in this weekend, along with new(er) tires and wheels.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
IH8RDS said:
They will get over it lol

I built my axle from northern (5 on 4.5) for pretty cheap

Heh, yeah they're pretty good about it. At one point I had both of my XJs on jackstands while I was swapping axles between them :Mechanic:

I looked at Northern, but with shipping it ends up being cheaper sourcing one locally. A 60" beam with hub assemblies runs ~$117 at TSC. Fun part is the axle comes standard with spring pads at 48" center, but my leafs are 45" center. Nothing a grinder and welder can't fix ;)

IH8RDS

Explorer
IllianaXJ said:
Heh, yeah they're pretty good about it. At one point I had both of my XJs on jackstands while I was swapping axles between them :Mechanic:

I looked at Northern, but with shipping it ends up being cheaper sourcing one locally. A 60" beam with hub assemblies runs ~$117 at TSC. Fun part is the axle comes standard with spring pads at 48" center, but my leafs are 45" center. Nothing a grinder and welder can't fix ;)

I tried to be a courteous as I could when I was working on my trailer. The wire wheel resonated through the tub, sparks flew and the constant scream of the angle grinder, but the end product was aesthetically pleasing so they didn’t mind. lol

Is a 60” beam is big enough? What is the wms to wms? I built mine to 67”. Sounds like a good deal on the axle for $117 with hubs. I think I paid less then $100 for my spindles, hubs and axle straps. I already had the 2x2 box tube though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles