Installing an Espar without hooking up to engine plumbing

bj3nk5

Hi,

Has anyone hooked up an Espar without tapping into the engine coolant system?

I don't have a huge need to preheat the engine. I'm using the Espar for hot water and a heat-exchange cabin heater, so I want the Espar all the way in the back of the van. Seems much easier to just use a local coolant tank for it to pull from.

Any idea how big of a coolant tank should I have for it?

Thanks,
Brian

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
Not tapping into the engine coolant circuit is common & makes the install easier. There's a minimum volume required - it's in the specs but the larger the coolant volume the less short cycling you'll have so the bigger the better up to a point...I've got a 5 gal tank in addition to a 2gal expansion tank + whatever volume in my 4 circuits so roughly 8-9 gallons. That's not too much - the only (very minor) downside is the size of the tank.Moe

bj3nk5

Not tapping into the engine coolant circuit is common & makes the install easier. There's a minimum volume required - it's in the specs but the larger the coolant volume the less short cycling you'll have so the bigger the better up to a point...I've got a 5 gal tank in addition to a 2gal expansion tank + whatever volume in my 4 circuits so roughly 8-9 gallons. That's not too much - the only (very minor) downside is the size of the tank.Moe

Yikes. that's a lot of Volume. Maybe I'll just tap into the coolant afterall. I don't have a place to put another 7 gallons in my van. And if I did, i'd take more fresh water :)

Guess that answered the question.

Thank you!!!

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
Guess that answered the question.
Actually no it doesn't...My Webasto TL17 when mounted independently (not plumbed into the engine cooling system) requires just 3 gallons as a minimum. So you have to find the volume required by your specific model. Moe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles