Going out Solo, Recovery options.

I am probably in the same boat as most of you. I would like to go out way more than I get to. My main problem is that its very hard to coordinate with the other guys to find a time when we can all go. My wife is really uncomfortable with me going solo, and she has a great point, if I get stuck, I am screwed. I can promise not to be stupid, but even then, it happens. I my playground is the southwest, so mostly sand and rocks. I have a winch but its kinda useless if there are no anchor points.

What do you guys do about this? Do you just go and pray you don't get stuck. I know I could get a set of maxtrax, which are so stinking expensive, but do they really work? Maybe I wasn't doing it right but I had the opportunity to use them once and we had the hardest time getting the tires to grip on them, eventually we had to tug the guy out. I have heard of the pull-pal, but they look really heavy and awkward to handle. Are they worth it? Is there anything better?

Or do you just not go unless you have a buddy? Is there anything out there that would make you comfortable with going out on your own?

It sounds to me that you have already looked into options and have a pretty good idea what equipment you're looking for. I have never used a pull-pal, but I want one. I have a hard time buying what I can build myself, though. Recovery boards are also a great option. A good shovel goes a long way, and a long handled hoe can move sand in a hurry. But, the best thing for not getting stuck is experience.

v_man

Explorer
As a teacher I usually have a bit more time off than friends and family so I end up going out alone as well...A few general points and then some specific ones:

1) Keep your vehicle in good working order. Sounds obvious but when you wheel alone your truck MUST work.
2) File a flight plan with your family before going out, and with people who might be able to unstuck you should you get stuck. If no one knows where you went then ....
3) Get a HAM mobil unit and know if there are any repeaters where you're headed
4) Consider a satellite phone, I don't have one but I wheel with several people who do. I'll likely get a sat phone when I begin taking my little boy our wheelin.
5) Get as long of a winch line as you can. I have a 100' foot line, an ARB winch extension strap, and I carry my old winch line as well , in total I have around 300 feet of line which just gives you access to more anchor points.
6) Carry a shovel
7) Carry a sleeping bag, food, and extra water at all times. If you get stuck you might have to spend the night there

Lastly...

If you travel alone, you just have to accept that something might go wrong. You'll never be able to fully eliminate the chances of something happening , all you can do is stack the deck in your favor as much as possible...

Wheeling alone has a lot of perks I must say , you set the pace, choose the route, and no one kicking up dust in front of you!

Here's a trip report I made of wheelin the Rubicon in a day by myself:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/150365-Halloween-on-The-Rubicon

NikonRon

Adventurer
Equipment failure comes to mind first, more a chance of that than getting stuck. Prepare as much as you want for it, but any little electrical component can stop you dead in your tracks.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I am in the southwest, mostly Imperial Valley and southern Arizona, plus San Bernardino Mountains and up north to the Oregon border (sometimes). I carry MaxTrax and have had to use them, they work and are worth it if you need them. After a couple of desert experiences that required summoning assistance (before I got the MaxTrax), I broke down and got a Pull-Pal (actually two, but more in a moment). Have not had to use the Pull-Pal yet, but I take some comfort in knowing it's there. I got my Pull-Pals used, and wanted the 14000, but they are hard to find (truck is a Dodge 2500). I found a smaller Pull-Pal cheap, so I grabbed it even though it was technically too small for my truck. Theory was that any winch point is better than none, and a little help could probably get me out of most stucks. I thought about buying another small PP and using them in tandem (Y-pattern), but then I found the 14000 that I had been looking for. My suggestion is to get some new MaxTrax, and start looking for used Pull-Pals. They are out there and sometimes the prices are surprisingly reasonable. The smaller Pull-Pals don't take up that much space and in concert with the MaxTrax should solve a lot of problems. All the usual advice about shovels, cell phone, food/water, etc., and letting people know your itinerary still applies.

plh

Explorer
Watch the movie where the guy got his arm trapped and he had to cut it off with a dull knife and then re-evaluate your alone expeditions.

127 Hours

Kevin108

Explorer
Some good advice here:
http://expeditionportal.com/going-alone-single-vehicle-offroad-travel-safety/

Have not had to use our traction boards yet but we do carry them, and probably employ a bit more caution when traveling solo.

Good advice in the link, with some notes. They depend somewhat on whether you mean solo as in traveling by yourself, or whether you mean traveling with a companion in one vehicle.

The article says to put your emergency beacon/sat phone in the glove box. I say put it on your person. You could hop out for a minute to take a leak a few feet off the trail and something could happen that separates you from the truck: a flash flood, an animal attack, a fall, or just walking too far off the trail and getting lost. That piece of equipment needs to be with you no matter what.

Know your truck and your tools. Anytime I do something to my rig, I try to use just the tools I carry. Yes, it's faster and easier to use an impact gun, but will you have pneumatic tools when you're replacing a u-joint or a CV axle on the trail? Some do. I don't. Using the tools you carry will help ensure you have what you need in your vehicle's tool kit and not in the roll-around toolbox at home.

If you're traveling with a friend or a companion, make sure they know how to operate the vehicle and your gear, like a portable jump box. Aside from the reality of traffic in the area in which we live, my wife is not proficient with a manual transmission, so I've always selected vehicles with automatics since we've been exploring together. Should we be off the beaten path and I become injured, I want her to be able to comfortably and safely operate the vehicle.

As for self-recovery, I bought a set of GoTreads at Expo East last year. With 33" MTs, a rear locker, and A-TRAC, plus being very familiar with the terrain which we travel, I don't expect to ever need them myself, but I wanted the peace of mind of having the equipment on-board, plus I can use them to level out the vehicle when we're sleeping in the RTT. I did want to familiarize myself with the use of them and I got to test them out in a recent snow storm. Several drivers were thankful for my assistance and I found they work just like the YouTube video shows. They don't give you the bridging functionality of the Maxtrax, but they take up a lot less space and getting a pair to your door is less than $150. More info at http://gotreads.com/how-they-work/

2016-10-19%2008.30.40.jpg

Thanks guys. Thanks for that link to the "going alone" article. I missed that one. Obviously there is no such thing as a cure all as for going out on your own with no problems. Having the proper gear and not being stupid goes a long way. Its interesting how many different traction boards are out there but only one "pull pal" style recovery device. At least there is only one that I know of. Why is that? And they in themselves are not that popular. From what I have seen, they definitely get the job done. Why don't more people have them?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Why don't more people have them?
1. Big
2. Heavy
3. Expensive
4. Most people just don't know what they need until they need it.

Re the question about alternatives, there are lots of Google hits about home-brew anchors and PP clones, but most of them don't seem to work very well. There are milsurp stake anchors (mostly British) that work very well but are labor intensive and not cheap even as surplus. Some have tried boat anchors (Danforth style and the improved clones), and they seem to work well in some conditions, but are expensive if you buy new. A folding aluminum Danforth or clone of appropriate size is over $1K new, and hard to find used. There is a Smittybilt knockoff of the PP, but I think they are prone to breakage if you stress them. There are also a couple of Brit versions of anchors similar to the PP, but I don't remember the names.

camodog

Adventurer
Hey, Torch. I sent you a pm on what I do, I hope you find it useful. Feel free to chat with me about it or if you have any questions.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I travel solo all the time. People flake on me left and right. Not going to sit at home and wait for others to figure out if they can sneak out of the house without their wife noticing.

It really depends. There are a ton of trails around here that are easy. I typically don't worry about them and take my stock 4Runner. I do air down and carry an air compressor. Other than that, I have a bottle jack, a block of wood, and a 2x6" piece of wood for the jack. Really that is all I carry with that car. I have carried a hilift and all the winching accessories, but never use it. So I stopped dragging it around. Of course I carry a strap and a few shackles.

In that case, I just use my common sense. Check mud holes. Get out and walk obstacles, etc. I have turned around.

On my rover, I've got a front mounted winch. Use it often. Heck I used it 2 weekends ago. Got SCREWED on a hill climb. Spun the tires, clogged em. Done. Pulled cable twice and got up the hill. No problem. Also air down with this vehicle as well.

So really, the winch is pretty much the best way to go. For the east coast, 100ft of line and a 30ft tow strap will take care of 99% of any issue you might have. I carry a 50ft extension...that I have never used...in 15 years. It seems like I end up using my winch multiple times a year (hopefully more this year as the car is roadworthy again).

Mattrax and the such are good if things aren't completely slicked over and you only need to move the vehicle a short amount of distance. But trying to use mattrax to move a vehicle 3 or 4 car lengths...that sucks. And usually doesn't work. Used them a few times in the mud here in the southeast. Mixed results. Of course at the end, now you've got mud lodged, heavy, giant things to deal with. Not fun. Also Mattrax can be a work out.

Around here, ham radio isn't used a lot, but there is good coverage with good repeaters. So that is nice. I got my radio license and a very good hand held. Seems to be a good setup. But pretty much all of the trails around here are well traveled. So if I were to have a problem, help would come eventually. Any trail that I wasn't sure about, I would end up inviting another vehicle/hitch on with a group.

But yeah, just thinking ahead solves most issues.

I also frequently travel solo and for the last two years have carried an Inreach explorer. Not only can I get help without needing cell service, but my family can log in and see exactly where I am which gives them peace of mind. Depending on what plan you get, it also means the ability to text.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Delorme-inReach-Explorer-2-Way-Satellite-Communicator-P4050.aspx

I have also carry Maxtrax (which I have used and love) shovel, sleeping bag and tons of water and coffee. If I have to wait a night or two, no sense in going without caffeine!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
If you are in the desert SW and have a winch you should have a sand anchor. And at the very least a shovel so you can bury your spare as an anchor.

And the very least a travel plan and a satellite phone or alert device.

And there's a SoCal forum and a lot of people on here in the region, maybe you can find a group outing or create one so you don't go solo.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I also go solo. There is so much for me to explore I do not need to over extend my abilities. I have no problem turning back if I might get stuck. I also get out and walk any iffy spots. I carry extra water, a Delorme Inreach, recover gear. I have very good tires, and skid plates. If the weather turn crappy, I modify my plans. I spent my teenage summers sailing, I always watch the weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles