Voyager is Completed (Build Thread)

azscotts

Observer
Hows it worked this camping season? we used ours a whole 2 times -__- sucks we didn't get up north more.

It's performed flawlessly! I towed it from Gilbert, AZ to Oshkosh, WI and back without any issues. It was a tad bouncy on some of the bumps at highway speed. But I lived out of it for 15 days up at the airshow and had zero issues. The trailer was a big hit up there and I gave around 20-25 tours the entire time I was up there. I had to take the gas tubes off the rear hatch because they were too powerful. I am remaking the rear hatch anyway out of foam/fiberglass this year so that should help with using 2x 20lb struts.

osh1.jpeg

The dual solar panels kept my deep-cycles topped off and I ran the fan all night, every night while sleeping. I even had everyone using Voyager as their personal charging station. 15 people over two weeks charging cell phones, iPads, two ADSB transceivers (aircraft stuff), and other various things.

I added a small steel plate to the counter in the galley so I could pop my iPad on there and watch movies on the nights I camped alone.

osh2.jpeg

One thing I am adding this year is going to be a canopy awning on the curbside. I'm not going to have it attached to the trailer. I'm pretty sure I can build the whole awning setup for $100-$125. And I will use the screw-in tie-downs to keep it secured to the ground.

The poles will be easy to store - going to attach some 6" PVC under the trailer frame to act as storage for the poles. These will get the screw-on caps like they use for sewage access on your house. They'll keep the poles in one spot and I won't have to sacrifice any other storage space.

This last picture is before everyone else got up there...

osh3.jpeg

I only have a couple of minor squawks about ingress and egress. But It held up well to the rains in Wisconsin just fine. No leaks detected!

bigskypylot

Explorer
It's performed flawlessly! I towed it from Gilbert, AZ to Oshkosh, WI and back without any issues. It was a tad bouncy on some of the bumps at highway speed. But I lived out of it for 15 days up at the airshow and had zero issues. The trailer was a big hit up there and I gave around 20-25 tours the entire time I was up there. I had to take the gas tubes off the rear hatch because they were too powerful. I am remaking the rear hatch anyway out of foam/fiberglass this year so that should help with using 2x 20lb struts.

View attachment 479130

The dual solar panels kept my deep-cycles topped off and I ran the fan all night, every night while sleeping. I even had everyone using Voyager as their personal charging station. 15 people over two weeks charging cell phones, iPads, two ADSB transceivers (aircraft stuff), and other various things.

I added a small steel plate to the counter in the galley so I could pop my iPad on there and watch movies on the nights I camped alone.

View attachment 479135

One thing I am adding this year is going to be a canopy awning on the curbside. I'm not going to have it attached to the trailer. I'm pretty sure I can build the whole awning setup for $100-$125. And I will use the screw-in tie-downs to keep it secured to the ground.

The poles will be easy to store - going to attach some 6" PVC under the trailer frame to act as storage for the poles. These will get the screw-on caps like they use for sewage access on your house. They'll keep the poles in one spot and I won't have to sacrifice any other storage space.

This last picture is before everyone else got up there...

View attachment 479136

I only have a couple of minor squawks about ingress and egress. But It held up well to the rains in Wisconsin just fine. No leaks detected!
You sound like a pilot! ;)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nucktaco

Adventurer
sorry if i missed it but where did you get those pet ramps? Rory our Mastiff/Corso cross just had TPLO surgery for a torn ACL. 5k later im trying to minimize the amount of jumping she is doing in and out of the truck/eventual trailer.

azscotts

Observer
sorry if i missed it but where did you get those pet ramps? Rory our Mastiff/Corso cross just had TPLO surgery for a torn ACL. 5k later im trying to minimize the amount of jumping she is doing in and out of the truck/eventual trailer.

I wish I knew. I got it from a friend. Let me see If I can find a brand or a label on it.

azscotts

Observer

So the brand is “Solvit”. It’s a pet ramp that looks like it’s available from places like Petco and Petsmart.

azscotts

Observer
So I made my first upgrade for 2019. I installed a USB charging station in the galley area of Voyager. I now have a total of 8 charging port for when the kids and adults insist on charging all their devices. Plenty of power to go around now.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
I’m the new owner of “Voyager”. The wife and I will try to wear it out in our travels around this country. No big plans to change it much mostly in the pantry area and rear hatch. Since we are the second owners we are going to call her Voyager 2 (our Winnebago is called the Voyage and since it’s our home it’s kinda the mothership). Did a little research on the voyager 1&2 spacecraft and learned that after 45 years they are still functioning and sending information back to earth. The Voyager’s were launched in September of 1977 two weeks apart, they were identical spacecrafts. They launched 2 Voyager’s in the hopes that one would make it to interstellar space. Voyager 2 entered interstellar space in 2018 (Voyager 1 beat it by 6 years) which coincidentally was the year Scott finished the trailer if I read his build thread correctly. The “nerdy spaceship pictures” will remain in the cabin.

Speaking of Scott, he was a great seller. from the first contact I made with him on the trailer to driving away with it he was super easy to work with, thank you Scott!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles