riNR AWD Chev Combi-Van

macexpress

Observer
I kinda have a love hate relationship with these mirrors. I like the split to help cover the blind spots but don't like how little the main part of the mirror seems. I just added a hitch so I guess I'll see if I start to dislike them more as I start to use them for for hooking up to a trailer.

riNR

Observer
I find the little convex mirror does a much better spot of seeing the blind spot. In comparison I found the lower section really didn't cover the blind spot completely.

SGNellett

Adventurer
Does anyone know how the tire pressure monitoring system works on a 2010 AWD van? I took the OEM rims and tires off and put on rims from a Sierra pick up and new tires. Now the system is giving me trouble lights. I tried setting according to the owner's manual, but no luck. I went to the tire place and the owner told me to check my old rims if they had the aluminum valve stems that would be attached to the sensor inside. I checked my old OEM rims and they have rubber valve stems. Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't want to drive around with the trouble light on and the error message that shows on the dashboard.

Someone on here recently suggested putting all your TPMS sensors in a piece of pipe, sealing both ends after adding a an air valve and pressurizing it, this way, apparently, the sensors were fooled into thinking they were still in an inflated tire. Then just attach the thing someplace in the van and forget about it.

riNR

Observer
I find the little convex mirror does a much better spot of seeing the blind spot. In comparison I found the lower section really didn't cover the blind spot completely.

I rectified that problem the right way.

riNR

Observer
I finally got around to making some brackets for and cross bars for the windsurfing gear. Going sailing a couple of times and having gear all disorganized was motivation to get it done.
IMG_9119.jpg
I also did a little "interior decorating" with gecko stencils. I couldn't take all the at grey paint.
IMG_9121.jpg
The cross bars have little rods welded into their ends and that sits in a hole in the bottom of the bracket to keep them from sliding out.
IMG_9122.jpg
I made some plywood for the bed platform for camping.
IMG_9124.jpg
The brackets can be at different heights from 12", 16", and 20" to the bottom of the pipe to the floor. When my friends and I head to OBX to windsurf the back of the van is literally packed with boards and gear. I needed adjust ability.
IMG_9126.jpg
I made the plywood platform in two sections so it's easier to remove and store on a rack on my garage ceiling.
IMG_9127.jpg
I've also gear hauled and set up a bed on one side before so this way I can have that option with clear access to boxes and gear below.

Next-
paint plywood to match the rest.
alter rear seat configuration better.
build side door change rooms with canopies over doors for privacy.

Keep in mind this is a full time daily driver work van.....with perks....not a dedicated camper.
IMG_9129.jpg

Last edited:

radorsch

Adventurer
Looking great! I love the geckos, too.
I've been thinking about a similar solution for a bed platform using cross beams. What size tube did you use? It looks like you just anchored them to your wooden wall/box, right? Do you know how much weight it can support? Very cool!
I'm considering trying to anchor the brackets directly to the body of the van - probably weld them on with some support. I'm not sure if that's a good idea yet, but thinking about it.
Nice work and a great looking van!

riNR

Observer
Looking great! I love the geckos, too.
I've been thinking about a similar solution for a bed platform using cross beams. What size tube did you use? It looks like you just anchored them to your wooden wall/box, right? Do you know how much weight it can support? Very cool!
I'm considering trying to anchor the brackets directly to the body of the van - probably weld them on with some support. I'm not sure if that's a good idea yet, but thinking about it.
Nice work and a great looking van!

Sorry for the later response. I was in Baja last week..... I used .09" wall 1" CREW tube for the cross beams. I have the brackets screwed into the plywood with large coarse thread screws. I had over 400 pounds on top of the platform the other day and it seemed super strong still. Worst case I'd put some legs under the cross beams to the floor if I was concerned.

radorsch

Adventurer
Thanks! Thats super helpful. I'm trying to see what gauge and size tube I will need.
I'm glad you were out having fun, rather than responding to my silly posts :)

riNR

Observer
Thanks! Thats super helpful. I'm trying to see what gauge and size tube I will need.
I'm glad you were out having fun, rather than responding to my silly posts :)

Fun it was!!!!

BF7I1477.jpg

In my old van I used 1" EMT (electrical metallic tubing) = much softer / weaker. The pipes would rest on 2"X4" brackets which were only held into 3/8" plywood by three screws. I slept on there with all my windsurfing gear beside me....probably me 190 lbs + 100 lbs of gear and no problems. My home made brackets are screwed into 5/8" plywood on the boxes and 3/8" on the pillars in this van.

Last edited:

fire_strom

Adventurer
Did you just replace the mirror glass or the whole assembly? I hadn't given it much though but once I read you'd changed yours I realized how irritated I was with mine. Now every time I back it up it irks me. I have power mirrors which I'd like to keep but I'm not sure how to go about it. All the single pane mirrors I've seen are manual.
Thanks,
-G

fire_strom

Adventurer
Did you find a set that was powered but w/o turn signals and heat? If so any chance you have part numbers?
Thanks
-G

riNR

Observer
Does anyone have any good suggestions for headlights? The stock high beams don't even look like they're on when I turn off the LED light bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior