riNR AWD Chev Combi-Van

riNR

Observer
I finally broke down and purchased a 2010 Chevrolet AWD van with 170,000 km to eventually replace my 2005 GMC 2500 Extended van with 390,000 km on it.
This van has the barn doors on both sides with pop out glass all around and all the electrical gizmos. I have a fair bit I want to do to this van but it still has to function as a work van for my general contracting business.
First order is to install a lift. Does anyone have a direct link or part number to the actual torsion key / leveling kit they used?
As it sits now....bone stock.AWD Van.jpg

macexpress

Observer
I bought mine from New Level Motorsports. Traxda txx-4445. It was just over $200. I did swap out the back 1" blocks for some 2"blocks that we had laying around. It was a pretty simple install, I have pictures from doing it this past weekend on my build thread.

Good luck!

45Kevin

Adventurer
Are you in TO or AB?

I got the Rough Country lift kit and used 2500 suburban springs in the back. So I have a set of 2" blocks that I'm not using.

riNR

Observer
Are you in TO or AB?

I got the Rough Country lift kit and used 2500 suburban springs in the back. So I have a set of 2" blocks that I'm not using.

I'm east of Toronto in Whitby.

Which Rough Country kit did you use? Was it specifically for the AWD vans, or a different vehicle?

45Kevin

Adventurer
I'm east of Toronto in Whitby.

Which Rough Country kit did you use? Was it specifically for the AWD vans, or a different vehicle?

I ordered the one for the 99-06 GM 1500 4x4. The rear shocks have the wrong top connection on them. There is some discussion in various threads on how to handle that.

Search around, there may be an AWD specific kit available now.

Or, buy the keys and shocks separately and use junkyard, or new 2500 suburban leaf springs and u-bolts.

So far I have only used the longer u-joints from the kit.

I am having a biotch of a time getting the old keys off the torsion bar. They are fused on the bar. I have finally broke down and bought the proper tool and will have another go at it when we have longer and warmer days. When those get changed I'll do the shocks. I may also need an anti-sway bar. We'll see once the new shocks are on.

riNR

Observer
Looking for your expert advice. Which of these kits would work on my 2010 AWD van? My options are limited due to crazy shipping costs from the US to Canada. These are the two companies that have "reasonable" shipping rates or Canadian retail outlets.

I would like to get the maximum lift possible, as long as it won't destroy my CV joints. Three inches would be optimal and then I'd like to do a 1" body lift too.

http://www.roughcountry.com/leveling-lift-kits/chevrolet-leveling-lift-kits.html

http://www.superlift.com/lift-kits-leveling-kits/gmc

45Kevin

Adventurer
I got the rough country kit. It's not installed yet, so I can only go by what others say as far as ride comfort.

I expect at least 2" of lift from the new torsion keys. If I need more I can crank them up a bit with the adjuster bolts. I'll need almost 3" to match the lift from the 2500 suburban springs.

I am not concerned about the CV angles. Stock they are a little over 1" or so lower at the diff than the wheel. A 3" lift will put it about the same angle except higher at the diff than the wheel.

86cj

Explorer
AWD VAN LIFT

Right now one of the few lift methods for the GM AWD 1500 Van is some Torsion lift keys and longer front shocks like Bilstein 5100 #24-186643 made for key lift's, the AWD Van front suspension lift stuff all interchanges with a 99-06" 1/2 ton GM P/U SUV. The 99-06" rear shocks in those kits have a different top mount that wont work, and it is valved wrong anyway. Rear springs on most GM vans p/u's and suv's are all 2 1/2" wide so 1-2" rear lift blocks are easy to find, GM put 7/8 or 1-1/8" blocks on 1/2 ton 4x4 for decades, get new U bolts. The 92-99" 2900lb 3/4 ton suburban rear springs work well for many people. I use longer HD 4600 series rear shocks #24-221948 they are tuned for a 3/4-1 ton GM van and at 2.33" longer than your stock 1/2 ton shocks are perfect for a 3" lift ...... It's a proven combo here with Bilstein shocks that gives between 2 1/4"-3" front and 3" rear lift, a few people including myself have had great results, not many other options out there. I also added Z-71 front bumpstops and a Hellwig rear sway bar, it seems like a very well sorted package indeed........

Bilstein did give a rare recommendation for the HD 4600 rear/ 5100 front combo for the van, both offer more control than stock shocks. He said the 4600 series and 5100 series Bilsteins are the same shock other than the body of the 5100 is aluminum and it comes in more special lifted applications, and they DON'T make a 5100 shock for the rear of any GM van, just the 4600 for the stock height 3/4-1 ton van.

The 5100 series #24-185615 rear shock is not recommended by Bilstein for a heavy van it is valved to light, it will bolt on but is a little long for the rear at 5 1/2" longer than stock and considering 3" is max lift in front. Bilstein will valve shocks for customers and I think Agile offroad and Boulder offroad may have done so for their GM Van shocks..........

Don't use front shock spacers some kits come with or rear adapters (needed for 99-06" P/U SUV rear shocks in most kits) they make the shock to long, unless you lower the bumpstops. Me and others have smashed our shocks closed and broke things and now run the right shocks.......

Love the double doors!!!!!!!

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Great information as usual 86cj, but I have one minor correction about the Bilsteins. The 4600 and 5100 are both steel bodies the 5100 is brushed and nickel coated giving the appearance of aluminum.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
I finally broke down and purchased a 2010 Chevrolet AWD van with 170,000 km to eventually replace my 2005 GMC 2500 Extended van with 390,000 km on it.
This van has the barn doors on both sides with pop out glass all around and all the electrical gizmos. I have a fair bit I want to do to this van but it still has to function as a work van for my general contracting business.
First order is to install a lift. Does anyone have a direct link or part number to the actual torsion key / leveling kit they used?
As it sits now....bone stock.View attachment 382801

IMG_20160427_175642_695.jpg
this is what your van looks like with Traxda kit and 265/75/16 Cooper ATs, I think I did 2 inch blocks in the rear, will look back at my file....

riNR

Observer
View attachment 384053
this is what your van looks like with Traxda kit and 265/75/16 Cooper ATs, I think I did 2 inch blocks in the rear, will look back at my file....

What year is yours? I was told if I put 16" stock rims on mine that the rims would rub on the caliper. I was inquiring because I just bought brand new BFG AT KO2 tires for my 2005 3/4 ton that I want to switch over to the 2010 AWD.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
What year is yours? I was told if I put 16" stock rims on mine that the rims would rub on the caliper. I was inquiring because I just bought brand new BFG AT KO2 tires for my 2005 3/4 ton that I want to switch over to the 2010 AWD.

I purchased a set of stock 16" gm pickup alloys and they would not clear the caliber on my 2010
Maybe a different wheel would clear?

Choff

Adventurer
I am also are running a larger stock 17" Denali suburban rims and no issues of rubbing or brake issues on a 2005 1500 AWD Savana

riNR

Observer
I tore out that rear cargo mat / salt sponge from my van tonight, and put some 1/2" plywood in. I have the rear heater in there. Anyone have any great ideas on what they did around the giant box? Mine will be primarily a work van, and part time windsurfing gear hauler / camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94