Halley - '17 WK2 Trailhawk Overland Build

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Mid-Winter Updates

So I didn't have a chance while I was home last weekend to add rivets, but it'll be done next weekend once I get back. It's been weird to not have lots of mods for the WK2 lately, post-radio install, but there's been a lot of groundwork being done for some good mods in the near future.

The current Excel spreadsheet has things like:

1) Hard-shell RTT... This may be happening sooner than later. There's a group-buy on TacomaWorld.com where a guy has been importing container loads of RTTs for members on there. They're from the same factory as the majority of US-based companies tents, just unbranded. I put my name on the list for a black shell with grey fabric for $1,700 delivered, about a grand less than competitors. The guy has delivered nearly 40 so far between two other group buys, and has been having the manufacturer make adjustments according to owner feedback. After 30 nights in the Jeep last summer on the Trans-Canada trip, I really wished we had a RTT so that I wasn't pitching our ground tent every night... in the rain, on uneven terrain, in the dark... while I'm used to ground tents, this will have a better appeal for us on long trips and in different regions.

Dani and I weighed out the options on the market, and decided this was a great option for us versus a larger but less sexy soft-sided RTT. This Jeep has always been about functionality, with sex appeal and OEM+ looks trailing in importance, so the hard-sided tent was the only option in my book.

Teaser shot on a Taco:

TacomaWorld RTT Group Buy by 2180miles

RTT Interior Photo by 2180miles

2) Chief Products Lower Fascia Guard & Tow Hooks - I've been talking with Chief's owner Bill about getting the Lower Fascia guard on the WK2 for some front end protection. Not only will it add an aggressive look to the Jeep, but will also take some pucker-factor out of the approach angle in the Jeep. Winter wheeling and being unable to always see what was in front of me, I wanted to get some kind of skid plate up front to protect the front end and electronics. Bill sold all his US stock to a supplier in Cali, but we're going to look into how/when he could get me the set-up. Because of the winch install, I'll need to also install Chief's tow hooks, but they're sexy as heck and really will change the look of the front end in a great way.

3) Full size spare - A month ago I sold my spare set of 35" BFG A/Ts from the Wrangler. The money went towards a full size spare set-up on the WK2, and the first step of that was to purchase an OEM rim. After my local dealership quoted $400 for the aluminum Trailhawk rim, I did some googling and found one for $270 delivered (brand new) from an ATL based dealership supply warehouse. It's currently sitting in my garage in a box with a new TMPS sensor awaiting #4

OEM Trailhawk Rim by 2180miles

4) TIRES - I've been having a huge internal debate regarding tires. For just under $300 I can buy/mount a 5th Goodyear Adventure A/T Kevlar tire, to match the ones on the other 4 corners of the Jeep. The ones it currently has have 14,000 miles on them from last year's adventures. The tire is good in my book, great with fuel economy, good with tread wear, and relatively capable. The only time it has let me down is on deep snow with ice underneath up in the NH mountains in January. They weren't too sexy from the factory, but with the 1.25" wheel spacers, the Jeep's stance improved and it's now tolerable.

The other option would be to spend $1,300, slap on some BFG A/Ts in a 265/65 R18 variety - one size smaller than the largest I can fit, 275/85 R18, but I would like to avoid any possibility of rubbing. It's basically a 31.5" tire versus a 32.1", and I'm ok running a smaller tire with that negligible of a difference.

Basically if I do buy new ones, I could probably sell my factory-fitted Goodyear A/Ts for a few hundred and offset the cost even more. New tires instead of just a new 5th tire is probably the way to go, but I'm going to hang on for a little longer to make a decision.

5) Spare Tire Storage - Technically that 265 tire will still fit in the spare cubby in the back, but I'd like to get it out from under the fridge and our gear. Since nobody makes tire carriers for WK2s, this will likely become a job for the Wilco Hitchgate Solo. A hitch-mounted swing out carrier, it holds up to a 35" spare, jerry can, and hi-lift jack. Price delivered is about $600. It will block a parking sensor or two on the rear bumper, but I'm OK with that. It's a great look and option for an otherwise untouched platform's tire storage.

Wilco Hitchgate Solo by 2180miles

6) Dual Battery - As soon as the spare is out, dual battery is going in the old spare tire space. It'll power all the radios, aux lighting, fridge, etc. I'm not interested in running it all off the factory battery much longer. Plus I love electrical challenges, so this would/will be very fun for me.

--------

So that's the "short" list for before OverlandExpo next fall, but ideally before any summer adventures. It's a lot, and it's a tiny bit more difficult to warrant it when the fiscally responsible side of me would love to pay it off instead, but there will come a time when it's as good as it's going to be and I will be happy and know it can go almost anywhere and have what we need to be capable and comfortable. Might as well be at that point sooner than later :)

Ideally some of these will spring into action shortly and we can have more fun with mods and exciting photos... but until then, I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions...

:)

mklucas

Congrats on the photo contest and thanks for the update... Been following for a while as I have a WK2, ecodiesel Summit.

1) Since a while back I wanted to suggest/give my vote for the hard-shell RTT. I've got the Maggiolina and I couldn't be happier with it - set up in less than a minute with bedding already stored inside, packed up in 2-3 minutes and ready to roll again. Much better route, in my opinion, than the soft-sided tents that can take 10-20 minutes to set-up and take down - then one has to find space to store all the bedding - may as well get a condo size tent for the ground.

2) Been eyeing and planning for the Chief products for a while now, happy to hear your positive experience and that you're adding more protection. Having the Summit myself, adding their stuff to my rig is a necessity as the front fairing is extremely limiting for approach angle when venturing off-road - no option to easily remove the OEM lower front fascia (as you know).

3&4) I'm a bit frustrated by the clearance issue for tire options myself. I'd like to start cutting and customizing in order to fit 32"+ but doubt I will go that route - I look forward to gaining wisdom from your experience as you are actually utilizing the WK2's off-road capabilities.

5) Spare tire storage - certainly a solution to go with that Wilco, though price seems a little steep to me (for what it is) and departure angle will certainly suffer a bit. Though it's more $, have you considered the uneek4x4 rear bumper? I'm not sure about their fitment with your rig, but it's a solution I'm considering - involves cutting for my Summit, which might sway me toward cutting and customizing for larger tires.

6) Good move on using the space for a second battery. My jeep doubles as a tow vehicle for my enclosed trailer on motorcycle track days/racing, so my goal/need may be slightly different from yours... I'm currently planning to build a lifepo4 battery system with multiple charging options - keeping the enclosure able to fit in the spare tire space but able to relocate it to my enclosed trailer when I'm at the track, and having multiple options for its use. The challenge I tasked myself with is to build my own lithium goalzero yeti 1400 for less money and more specific to my uses. Since you enjoy a good electrical challenge I thought I'd mention it. redarcelectronics.com makes some very useful products for my application, especially their BCDC1225D (Battery charger from vehicle and from solar, as well as isolator for the chassis battery).

Great job on everything thus far, and again, congrats on the photo contest.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Congrats on the photo contest and thanks for the update... Been following for a while as I have a WK2, ecodiesel Summit.

1) Since a while back I wanted to suggest/give my vote for the hard-shell RTT. I've got the Maggiolina and I couldn't be happier with it - set up in less than a minute...

2) Been eyeing and planning for the Chief products for a while now, happy to hear your positive experience and that you're adding more protection...

3&4) I'm a bit frustrated by the clearance issue for tire options myself. I'd like to start cutting and customizing in order to fit 32"+ but doubt I will go that route - I look forward to gaining wisdom from your experience as you are actually utilizing the WK2's off-road capabilities.

5) Spare tire storage - certainly a solution to go with that Wilco..Though it's more $, have you considered the uneek4x4 rear bumper?

6) Good move on using the space for a second battery.

Great job on everything thus far, and again, congrats on the photo contest.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this out - I really appreciate the feedback and discussion on the matter as sometimes it's hard to just wing it on my own!

Your approval of and compliments towards owning the hardshell RTT are exactly why I wanted to buy it. Set-up time, not folding a wet tent over on itself, keeping stuff inside, etc. are all key reasons. I had been eyeing the Maggiolinas for a while now, but the extra cost for a black tent (I wasn't going to run white on a dark grey vehicle) and overall cost were making me very hesitant. While the one I'm lined up for may not be a 100% match on quality or customer service, it's a great start and will hopefully serve our needs well while allowing money to be spent elsewhere to improve the rig.

I cannot say enough good things about Chief Products, and highly recommend them to everyone. Beyond their product line itself and the voids it's filling for WK2 drivers, the owner Bill has been one of the most communicative and thorough people I've ever spoken to. I answer a lot of questions people e-mail me about Chief, and Bill has stood behind me 100% to get me the right answers to questions I don't know. I really look forward to continuing that relationship and getting more of their stuff on the Trailhawk.

3 & 4 - I don't have a good decision made up for this yet. I think I'm currently leaning towards keeping the OEM and adding a 5th instead of replacing all 5. Might just make more sense to wear them out as they've yet to truly let me down.

I've seen the UNEEK rear bumper and truthfully it made me vomit a little. The overall size & heft of it are a huge turnoff for me. I know Wilco's slightly degrades departure, but I'd be hard pressed to list a time when I'd be at that steep of an angle. The slim-line, easily removable nature of it makes it an ideal candidate in my book. I know that pricing seems a bit higher for what it is, but the made-in-America and fantastic customer support nature of it leads me to be ready to swallow that pill.

Thanks for the link on the electrical stuff. Sounds like you've got a great build imagined for yourself, so please keep me updated on that! I'm not sure mine will be so intricate, but it's always fun to watch and learn from others. Do you have a build thread going for your Summit? Certainly aren't enough WK2s being built up for this kind of thing.

I greatly appreciate the accolades for the photo contest and compliments of the build itself. It's been a fun project so far, and I'm really getting antsy about getting her out into the backcountry again once the weather makes it more achievable.

Adventurous

Explorer
Cool thread! I don't often visit the Jeep forum (Tacoma owner), but as a former M*******, I wasn't aware there was a whole lot of open land to explore. Learn something new every day.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Thanks for stopping by on the Jeep side!

As a current Mass**** I can tell ya there isn't much open land at all, save for a few trails out in the Northwest corner of the state. The majority of my "local" off-pavement adventure is in NH/VT/ME.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Had a chance to get the Trailhawk into the woods after last week's Nor'easter, as it was a prime time for a photo shoot. I used to take the Wrangler out for moments like this all the time but haven't as much with the WK2. Since most of the posts are technical write-ups for the build, I thought I'd spam my own thread with some photos of her.

Enjoy :)

by 2180miles

WK2 Front Stance by ]2180miles[/url], on Flickr

by 2180miles, on Flickr

by 2180miles, on Flickr

Bourget117

The more i keep seeing pics of the Trailhawk the more it makes me want to get one for my next vehicle when it's time to trade in my 2012 Sahara JKU.

kayadog

Adventurer
Beautiful WK2. It gives me a lot of ideas for mine. Have you thought about 255/70r18 tires so you get the extra height without worrying about rubbing? They are often a little cheaper and should be good in the snow.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
This build is awesome. I'm currently trying to decide if I want a JL Rubicon or a Trailhawk. I had a High Altitude 2 years ago and it was beautiful, but no way was it going off road. They didn't have a TH at the time. As I have gotten older, I'm not sure if I like driving a lifted Jeep anymore, but want something still capable.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Looks great! I was out in the woods in my old GC Sunday....it was pushing 80 degrees here, LOL.

Thanks!! Lucky you... from the way it looks, we're about to get at least another foot. I don't think Mother Nature knows it's officially Spring.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
The more i keep seeing pics of the Trailhawk the more it makes me want to get one for my next vehicle when it's time to trade in my 2012 Sahara JKU.

It's a phenomenal vehicle in all regards. Highly recommend taking one for a test drive when the time comes for you to be looking for a new Jeep.

This build is awesome. I'm currently trying to decide if I want a JL Rubicon or a Trailhawk. I had a High Altitude 2 years ago and it was beautiful, but no way was it going off road. They didn't have a TH at the time. As I have gotten older, I'm not sure if I like driving a lifted Jeep anymore, but want something still capable.

Thanks so much Dallas! I've had a great time building it and love the plans I've got for it in upcoming months. I assure you that despite this being the TH model, it was quite unnerving taking her off-road the first time, but that's why I did it 10 miles after I pulled off the dealership lot. There's been very few moments I haven't completely loved this thing for all that it is and what it's capable of. I'd definitely look into the Trailhawk while you're searching around. The JL looks great in so many regards but the luxury and all-around capability of the WK2 line is hard to beat.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Beautiful WK2. It gives me a lot of ideas for mine. Have you thought about 255/70r18 tires so you get the extra height without worrying about rubbing? They are often a little cheaper and should be good in the snow.

Thanks so much Kayadog, I certainly appreciate the compliments! Truthfully I hadn't looked at 255/70R18s. I'll take a look at that - thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier