Halley - '17 WK2 Trailhawk Overland Build

TT-Tacoma

Observer
Looks great man. I really like your attention to detail with the second battery setup along with all the other things you've done.

Looking forward to seeing the hitch gate solo too. Especially with the new wheels/tires.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Markramme

Hi there. I saw that you got wheel spacer on your Grand Cherokee.
Since I have a similar ride, would you mind to elaborate a little on it? Did the Jeep get more stable, does the air suspension work well with it, anything one should consider before putting those one, how much did you extend the track?
Thanks bunches for any inside.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Looks great man. I really like your attention to detail with the second battery setup along with all the other things you've done.

Looking forward to seeing the hitch gate solo too. Especially with the new wheels/tires.

Thanks TT! Hitchgate arrived yesterday at about the same time I landed in Denver for a week... great timing! So I'll have to wait until the end of the month to get it fully set up, but I too am looking forward to seeing it all put together.

Hi there. I saw that you got wheel spacer on your Grand Cherokee.
Since I have a similar ride, would you mind to elaborate a little on it? Did the Jeep get more stable, does the air suspension work well with it, anything one should consider before putting those one, how much did you extend the track?
Thanks bunches for any inside.

Hey! I do have wheel spacers on there... 1.5" Alloy USA spacers. I can't comment on whether or not it technically made it more stable, but I can state I've had zero issues with the air suspension and the spacers have likely played a nice role in the new tires fitting without rubbing. I bought the spacers on Amazon for about $200 for the set *DO NOT SKIMP OUT ON WHEEL SPACERS* (it's not worth saving $100 and risking your life on crappy models) and had to piece together the lug nut sets to make it work on the WK2 but after a year with this setup I have no complaints.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Tire Overhaul - Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws

So after a few months of behind-the-scenes work, I'm excited to announce a new partnership with Falken Tires. The WK2 will have the OEM Goodyear Adventure tires replaced with the new Wildpeak AT3W all-terrain tires. While the Grand Cherokee can actually fit a larger tire than what I went with, I wanted to keep the appearance aggressive but not overdone, so I chose the less-popular 265/65R18 size, equivalent to a 31.6" tire. It's about an inch and a half larger in diameter than the factory tire, and not only has a great aesthetic improvement for the Jeep, but also should outperform the factory tires in every regard.

I brought the Jeep to a local Firestone Tire center and for the whopping cost of $79 had the four main tires swapped, as well as the 5th OEM rim I bought back in April mounted up with the new spare and TPMS sensor. A Jeep friend bought the factory tires from me, so they're off to a new home!

Initial impressions with the AT3W are stellar... Dani and I took the Jeep up to New Hampshire for some wheeling in the woods over the weekend, got 24-25 MPG during the two hour ride up, and I know without a doubt that the Wildpeaks gave us better traction than the Goodyears ever could have on more difficult terrain than I've ever taken the Trailhawk on. I'll give a long-term review as the time comes, but for now here are some photos of the install...

New Falken Tire Delivery
by 2180miles

260/60 vs 265/65
by 2180miles

Loaded Up
by 2180miles

Falken AT3W Installed - 265/65R18
by 2180miles

TT-Tacoma

Observer
YES. I've heard good things about the those tires. They look great and I can't wait to hear more about them as they are looking like my best option for my Tacoma. Tell your guy to send a set my way!

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Very nice looking tires, I've never heard of them. On my 2014 JGC Overland, 3.6L I run Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - 275/55/20 but best milage right now is 22 but that is rare, I also have lead foot at times. I have full undercarriage protection and Rhino rack so that may dampen it a little but probably slightly bigger tires the main culprit.
RRO - Super Rock Rails, WK2 Skid Plate Package,
Chief Products - WK2 Lower Front Guard, Transmission and Sump Protection Plate
Mopar Front Axle Guard and Transfer Case Guard

Love my lower front guard by Chiefs, I run it without DAM, no issues and litt;e more aggressive look.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
I love air ride. So wish I had the skills and money to do a auto adjusting system like our Jeep's have on my Tacoma. Would make life so much easier.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Had a chance to upload the photos from our July 3rd trip up into New Hampshire, testing out the new Falken AT/3Ws. Truthfully, I didn't air them down, but running the Jeep in OR1/2 it did a great job, even in some sections where I used to take the Wrangler (on 35s). They performed exceptionally well, and handled without hesitation sections where I know the OEM Goodyears wouldn't have kept up.

At one point I did accidentally pull the lower front fascia out of the front bumper by catching it on a rock, but that shouldn't be a problem anymore as I'll be installing the Chief Products Lower Fascia Skid in a few weeks time!

Anyway, here are some glamor shots... Maybe Jeep will use them for the next ad campaign ;-)

WK2 Trailhawk- Off-Road Adventures
by 2180miles

by 2180miles

by 2180miles

by 2180miles

by 2180miles

WK2 Trailhawk - Off-Road Adventures
by 2180miles

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice build and awesome looking jeep! I drove my sisters 99 GC during my senior year of high school when she left for college.

When my truck died, I spent an entire day thinking, researching, driving and talking numbers at a jeep dealer for a JK or JL but also WK's. The trail hawk was very appealing as far as comfort, offroad capability and looks but I couldn't get passed how small it is in the inside. I'm not a monster sized dude but I'm 6' and 230 lbs and I felt so cramped and claustrophobic when sitting in the driver seat and looking at the lack of space for any back seart passengers. I ended up going with an extended cab F-150 and it has tons of room. Curious as to your thoughts on the interior space and if you ever feel cramped or feel like more space would be nice??

TT-Tacoma

Observer
Nice build and awesome looking jeep! I drove my sisters 99 GC during my senior year of high school when she left for college.

When my truck died, I spent an entire day thinking, researching, driving and talking numbers at a jeep dealer for a JK or JL but also WK's. The trail hawk was very appealing as far as comfort, offroad capability and looks but I couldn't get passed how small it is in the inside. I'm not a monster sized dude but I'm 6' and 230 lbs and I felt so cramped and claustrophobic when sitting in the driver seat and looking at the lack of space for any back seart passengers. I ended up going with an extended cab F-150 and it has tons of room. Curious as to your thoughts on the interior space and if you ever feel cramped or feel like more space would be nice??
I'll chime in since we own a '14 Overland. My wife and I are not large people me being 5'7" and 185 and she 5'6" and ???. I will say that the people that have ridden in our back seat honestly love it. The seats recline, they have their own A/C vents, USB ports, heated seats, center armrest, and plenty of space. Oh and a huge sunroof for when it's not blazing hot.

As far as the driver's seat goes FCA has that whole business sorted out IMO. Seat goes every which way and a powered tilt/telescoping wheel really allows for finding the sweet spot. And the cooled seat makes it a comfy ride without a sweaty back.

I've never been in the back of a supercab F150 but if it has less room than my double cab Tacoma which I assume it does you probably have less space than the WK2.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring

Thanks for the compliments! I'm a big fan of it so far :)

I'm 5'8" and 150, and it's an exceptionally comfortable vehicle for me. I've had a fair number of passengers in the back of the Jeep, in the 5'5" to 6'1" range, and have never heard much from them. I'd love there to be more space in the trunk, the roofline of the 4Runner comes to mind, but I knew going into this purchase that it wouldn't be near the same amount of space.

As TT-Tacoma said, the seats go every way imaginable, and the rear seats have every.single creature comfort imaginable. I'd love an F-150 ext. as a daily at some point in life. Sorry to hear you found the WK2 claustrophobic though!

Nice setup! I love the truck. Concern of mine -- this area of most vehicles is very prone to collecting water/mud/moisture. Have you done anything to mitigate this? Or are you not worried about it?

Thanks Lt! In my ownership we've crossed rivers, and done a fair bit of offloading. I've never seen or felt any dampness back there, nor mud or dirt inside. At this point, no concerns about that!

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Waypoint RTT by COE Vehicle Solutions

So way back in March I placed an order for what at the time was known as the Gen.3 version of the “Tacoma World Group-Buy RTT”. In the time since it has been branded, and an actual company has been formed to sell these at the rate the growing demand requires. I’m proud to announce that I’m the first non-Toyota owner to run the Waypoint RTT by COE Vehicle Solutions. After a 3-month wait from order placement (this is getting faster, don’t worry) I met the organizer, Chandler Coe, as he hand-delivered the tent in his brand new Dodge 3500 diesel, lifted and running 37s, towing a 30’ car hauler full of tents. We talked for a few minutes, then he vanished into the night to finish his week-long haul of tents around the country.

Tent Delivery Rig
by 2180miles,

Moving it into the garage, it then came time to see what was inside. The box opening was labor intensive, but this thing was packaged well. I removed a bunch of plastic wrap, and excitedly opened it up for the first time as Dani looked on. The initial smell was a punch to the senses, so we let it air out in the garage for the better part of a week before moving on with installation. The tent itself is 85” long, and due to the roof crossbar spacing on the WK2, this left the front two+ feet of the tent cantilevered. To combat this design and support the front, I pieced together a Thule clamp-on crossbar kit from eBay and added what is essentially a third crossbar to hold the front end of the tent down.

Wrapped In Plastic
by 2180miles

First Opened Up
by 2180miles

The mounting utilizes 8 bolts that fit into brackets that are to be positioned inside the recessed mounting track in the bottom of the tent. Slid into place at the 1st and 3rd crossbars, I tightened the bolts down with the supplied tools (ratcheting box wrench included!) and hardware. The compressed latter opened up easily, and we climbed up to see how comfy our new home-on-wheels was.

There’s a 2.5” foam pad inside, and the entire interior is covered in a stitched fabric. The 4 gas struts to raise the roof are covered in padding, there are two hanging pockets for miscellaneous gear, shoes, etc, two overhead hooks for other stuff, and a netting suspended overhead for whatever you haven’t already found a place for. It’s incredibly spacious inside, and our two-person sleeping bag fits perfectly corner to corner. The tent itself has entry options from both sides, including mounts for the ladder to be affixed to. Each doorway (left and right) has a fabric outer door that becomes an awning, a fly made of netting, and another solid interior door for privacy at night or in the cold while retaining the awning. There are large windows at the front and back of the tent, and two 4” square ventilation pockets, one on each side. The tent is able to close with all of our stuff inside, including the sleeping bag, pillows, headlamps, etc. which will make it a dream when we’re on trips.

RTT Interior
by 2180miles

We’ve spent one night in the tent so far, and loved it. We’ll have to get used to climbing out if we have to pee at night, but the elevated position allows for a great breeze (wonderful on hot nights), keeps us away from little critters, and offers more privacy. While other tents charge a few hundred dollars more for a black shell, a few hundred dollars more for a larger size, and a ton for shipping, COE Vehicle Solutions has this on the market for $1,750 delivered. It was the perfect tent to get us into the RTT market while maintaining the sexy aesthetics of this Jeep build, and allowing for a minimal impact on fuel economy.

A recent trip to upstate New York required us bringing the Jeep, and with both the new Falken AT/3W tires and the RTT mounted, we averaged 21.5 MPG round trip over 450 miles… not bad at all given the fact that the Trailhawk was basically expedition-ready the whole time.

Happy to answer any questions, and very excited to use this for a week straight on our next Jeep overland trip that leaves in just a few days time.

WK2 Mounted RTT Closed
by 2180miles

WK2 Mounted RTT Open
by 2180miles

COE Vehicle Solutions RTT
by 2180miles

RTT Head-on
by 2180miles

COE Vehicle Solutions RTT
by 2180miles

Forum statistics

Threads