Halley - '17 WK2 Trailhawk Overland Build

OGGr3G

I can’t blame you getting them confused, it took me forever to get it figured out. For example I thought if you had the Quadra lift with the off-road adventure package you had QDII, but as I learned with my ‘13 WK2 overland that’s not the case, you have to either get the V8 or the diesel apparently.

But your build is definitely has given me many ideas for my WK2, and I can’t wait to finally get mine out and explore with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bourget117

Your correct. The QDII does come with the ELSD. What I should have said is that the trailhawk comes standard with the QDII which includes the ELSD.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Great photos and you are excellent ambassador for the WK2, Jeep should use your photos for sure as they are real world not marketing stunts. I can't wait to the Wilco write-up with pics from backup camera view..

Earlier this year I took a Overland 4x4 driving course by company that specializes in 4x4 training for military and NCO's. They use all Toyota's and Rovers, but my two day class was exclusively with my WK2. With instructor we really put it thru it's paces, experimented with QTII in various ways and he was really surprised how capable this is with the QTII and QL. We got into places we thought for sure we'd be stuck and got thru it. Discovering Hill Descent works in reverse was a hoot, and extremely helpful on hill failure practice on steep slippery hills.

I have the Lower Front Guard as well and it is probably the best looking and absolutely the most practical mod I have done. I havn't pulled trigger on hidden winch yet but it's a thought, I really don't like having to spend $400 on Chiefs tow mounts to install their winch bracket, seems excessive, but not sure of better solution.

Hello my friend! Great to hear from you again. I appreciate the kind words about the Jeep and the photos. I do my best!

It's great to hear the instructor was impressed with the WK2. They really are incredibly capable vehicles, even towards the stock end. I've yet to experiment with the hill descent, and I didn't know it was even an option in reverse. Definitely something I'll have to look into! The Chief guard is great and I feel a lot better now off-road knowing the front end is more protected than the factory fascia allowed for. Their entire product line is undeniably well designed, and worth every penny if your goal is to build a capable rig beyond the weekend fire road adventuremobile kind of thing.

Wilco write-up is coming soon. You have my word!

bobholthaus

Observer
Hey everyone: I am going to add the same reverse lights 2180 used, a 20” Rigid driving bar to my bumper, and the Rigid DOT Duallys to my stock foglight location on my 2014 Overland. Edit to post: I've decided to use a SwitchPros switch bank, which comes with an under hood power module that eliminates the need for a fuse box or separate relays. I still need to find the following three wires under the hood, if possible:

1. A lead that is switched to the lights (which will dim the switch panel when I turn the lights on)
2. A lead that is linked to the high beams, so that I can trigger my light bar when I turn my high beams on
3. A lead that is linked to the reverse lights, so that I can trigger my reverse lights when I go into reverse

Does anyone know where to find these under the hood? I'll start a new thread once I start the install, but I figure you guys know more about the WK2 than just about anyone on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Hey everyone: I am going to add the same reverse lights 2180 used, a 20” Rigid driving bar to my bumper, and the Rigid DOT Duallys to my stock foglight location on my 2014 Overland. Edit to post: I've decided to use a SwitchPros switch bank, which comes with an under hood power module that eliminates the need for a fuse box or separate relays. I still need to find the following three wires under the hood, if possible:

1. A lead that is switched to the lights (which will dim the switch panel when I turn the lights on)
2. A lead that is linked to the high beams, so that I can trigger my light bar when I turn my high beams on
3. A lead that is linked to the reverse lights, so that I can trigger my reverse lights when I go into reverse

Does anyone know where to find these under the hood? I'll start a new thread once I start the install, but I figure you guys know more about the WK2 than just about anyone on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Parking lights are above the BCM in the pass kick panel wht/brown OR wht/orange. Black 24 pin plug.
Reverse lights same location wht/lt grn. White 24 pin plug.

The headlight stuff, I don't recommend messing with on your vehicle. If you'd like to try despite all the reasons not to,
Auto headlight, same location white/lt. green (need to relay isolate the switch) -2000 ohms (off). Blue 24 pin plug
Headlight, same location white/lt. green (need to relay isolate the switch) -660 ohms. Blue 24 pin plug

bobholthaus

Observer
Wow, thank you very much! I appreciate it.

Okay, I won’t mess with the high beams wiring. That being said, I will use opposing relays to trigger the light bar. Is there a fog light wire in this same location so that I don’t have to tap a bulb up front? Thanks again!

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
OverlandExpo 2018

Just wanted to post an update after a few months of being quiet... the Trailhawk is fully packed and we're on our way down to Asheville for OverlandExpo East! We left Boston this morning and made it 440 miles southwest to Harrisburg, PA where we're staying with family. Weather was horrific, torrential ran all the way out I-90, down I-84, over New York's Tappan Zee Bridge, down the New Jersey Turnpike,

We'll arrive Friday morning at OverlandExpo 2018, and will be camping until Sunday. If any of you are going to be there and either A) want to say hey in person or B) want to check out the WK2 in real life, please feel free to e-mail me - 2180miles@gmail.com - and we can meet up! Really looking forward to the event, vendors, and other overland folks.

Thanks again to all of you who voted for my winter overlanding photo in the February photo contest.

OverlandExpo Bound
by 2180miles

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Great to hear you are comingI look forward to seeing your Jeep. I will be camping in the Overland Experience area, lot WC, with my Chinook Concourse. Email sent.

Markramme

Quick question, when you installed you wheel adapters, did you remove the o-ring around the hub? I read that it is there to prevent brake dust penetrating the bearing, I am not quite sure if the spacers are intended to take the o-ring tho. The guys from Motortech did not know about the o-ring being there! Thanks for your help.
PS: i really like what you have done with the Trailhawk. I have to admit I stole some of your mods for mine already. Kudos.

bobholthaus

Observer
2180 Miles: I’d still like to talk on the phone ASAP. In the meantime, here’s my 20” Rigid Radiance Mounted to the bumper cross member, which wouldn’t work for you due to your winch. But for those of you with the Chief front protection piece, who want to leave the lower air dam off, this is starting to look good. The curved bar matches the bumper curve almost perfectly. More to come.
8960ac3063587306bcfda8ea65aacc0d.jpg
92acd393da100bec2276e7b70172cc52.jpg
bf7762337eaa3b8ec129eeccb92bb439.jpg
5842bcd6966f3704a14c3c096799a5b5.jpg
eda682325bd5fafc05fe0ff9e7033403.jpg
e0b55e9db806b8537ce99d0d559aa338.jpg

Dvlflip

2180miles I love how your TH is setup. Very clean. I used to own a white 2013 TH when I lived in NV but my wife got into a wreck when we moved to Montana late last year and the insurance wouldn’t cover the cost to repair it. Bought a 2018 TH on a Black Friday sale and still on the process of building her up. Currently looking for trails to go on to but I have to wait till Spring 29B8755E-0A6F-41A3-9740-8352AE37337E.jpegB60A94D4-C8F8-4CF9-932C-1C68466EC901.jpeg62545E0F-57F7-4585-8CF3-24B9ECE9AA77.jpegF86B5366-9C86-441E-A285-AADACE65A349.jpeg543FB70B-738D-449B-B6DD-99804C5DBF73.jpeg

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
2180miles I love how your TH is setup. Very clean. I used to own a white 2013 TH when I lived in NV but my wife got into a wreck when we moved to Montana late last year and the insurance wouldn’t cover the cost to repair it. Bought a 2018 TH on a Black Friday sale and still on the process of building her up. Currently looking for trails to go on to but I have to wait till Spring View attachment 495035

What is that light mount and what size tires are these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles