Halley - '17 WK2 Trailhawk Overland Build

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
It is a great platform and has performed flawlessly on trails I thought it would have issues on. It is a completely different animal from the older ones. The updates are night and day from the 97 you have.

oh, no question the new ones are. He was talking about my old one. Not sure it qualifies for great, but I won't count it out yet.

Haha guys, play nice! Clyde, I checked out the ZJ link you sent. Looks like you're doing all the right stuff to get it ready and reliable. I certainly wouldn't count it out yet!

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
You sir have made me change from running my Tacoma for our camping/adventuring to using our 2014 GC Overland Diesel.

This line made me grin. I'm genuinely glad to hear it! They're exceptionally capable for their platform, and are super comfortable throughout... I've got the Wrangler to drive over anything but the Trailhawk brings a whole other (different) level to the experience off-road.

Glad to hear about your tire swap experience. I know a lot of guys on more Grand Cherokee centered forums have mentioned it, and it's great to see it working for you. Extra points to your wife for wanting a less soccer-mom look. I've actually just taken delivery of a 5th rim & TPMS to match the OEM Trailhawk ones, and will have a post about that tomorrow I'm hoping. Wasn't a bad deal, and allows me to keep the OEM look that I've done my best to maintain throughout the build thus far. Tires are an undecided thing at this point... the Goodyears aren't terrible, they're comfortable on the highway, seem to wear well (14k in year one) and haven't truly let me down aside a snow-wheeling trip a few weeks ago up in New Hampshire.

There's a big debate in our household as to whether or not it's worth it to buy one spare tire to match the existing, or use this as a valid reason to replace them with a larger tire with a more aggressive tread. We'll see how that plays out.

Your WK2 looks great, and those tires definitely do a great job filling the space in there! Cheers to more adventures, and stay in touch, us WK2 guys have to stick together.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
nice clean rig! i enjoy seeing someone actually putting some overland adventure miles on a Trailhawk.

Thanks so much! It's a great time off-road and checked every box I needed in a rig. It's kind of fun to be paving the way on the WK2 front.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
There's a big debate in our household as to whether or not it's worth it to buy one spare tire to match the existing, or use this as a valid reason to replace them with a larger tire with a more aggressive tread. We'll see how that plays out.

Your WK2 looks great, and those tires definitely do a great job filling the space in there! Cheers to more adventures, and stay in touch, us WK2 guys have to stick together.

Thanks man! I added the Brightlines roof cross bars today after finally getting all that brown stuff off the tires and finally stuffing the spare in the back. I was able to fit the new Sahara spare in the stock spot with the storage bins after deflating it all way. Just need to find a decent small compressor to re-inflate if needed. Ordered my mounting hardware for the new-to-me Thule Adventurer that's going on the roof for adventuring too. Also built my 12 LVD for my old Norcold after finding out how to switch the fuse to make the rear 12v plug always on. I'm almost set for trips just need to find a place to go and wait for the weather to get nice enough to camp in a tent!

An even better bonus is after adding the roof bars and cleaning the tires my wife likes it even more! I'm a lucky guy.

If you ever make it as far west as Minnesota let me know. I've found some good spots while dirt biking that allow dispersed camping so no noisy neighbors in a campground!

Oh and that light bar you have is freaking amazing! I want one on mine bad now. The winch looks sick as well.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
If you ever make it as far west as Minnesota let me know. I've found some good spots while dirt biking that allow dispersed camping so no noisy neighbors in a campground!

Oh and that light bar you have is freaking amazing! I want one on mine bad now. The winch looks sick as well.

That fuse switch trick is pretty neat, isn't it? I had a friend discover it when he didn't want to hard wire his Dometic when we installed it.

I have in fact made it as far west as Minnesota... if you have a chance check out the Trip Report from our Trans-Canada Overland Expedition this past summer... 7,000 miles from Boston out to the Canadian Rockies and back. Event spent a night in Minneapolis on the way back! It'd be great to hit up some spots and do some camping - maybe even the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail or some of those million miles of Michigan backcountry roads they just opened up.

Glad you like the light bar... check out Black Oak's website - you can use the code '2180miles' at checkout for 10% off your order. The light is a lifesaver on dangerously dark nights and has saved my butt in a multitude of scenarios before. Winch is undoubtedly the best self-reliant piece of equipment we run. Chief has been amazing to work with and I'm looking forward to getting more of their products installed.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Fire Extinguisher Mount

A few weeks ago I was standing in a Home Depot up in Nashua, NH while a friend gathered some supplies for a project we were working on. I wandered around a bit and eventually found myself staring at the fire extinguishers they had in stock, which really got me thinking. Many years ago one of my first projects for the Wrangler was a fire extinguisher bracket for under the driver's seat, an easily accessible location in the event that I ever needed it. I stood there at Home Depot kicking myself at the realization that we did not carry one with us across Canada this past summer despite the fuel canisters in the Jeep and open gas stoves we used every night to cook around dry pine needles and the like.

With that lovely narrative, let's get to work on installing a fire extinguisher in a WK2 without it being aesthetically annoying or too much in the way:

Tools needed:
- Drill
- Small Drill Bits
- Pop Rivet Gun
- Medium-length Rivets
- Painter's Tape
- Sharpie

I bought a 3.7lb Kidde B/C (Auto/Marine) fire extinguisher in a snazzy silver color for $17 at Depot. It came with a plastic mount, but I had horrible visions of a high-speed crash where the plastic would break and the extinguisher would become a missile into the back of my skull in the driver's seat. No problem - quick trip to my local Grainger Supply and I was in possession of a $7 Kidde mount, made from metal and with a metal latching strap. I did have to do some modifications to the bracket to widen the space where the neck of the extinguisher goes in order to make it fit. When it came time to touch up the paint, I ended up painting the whole thing black to make it less visible inside.

I knew I wanted the extinguisher in the rear trunk space, as when we cook with the stove it would be the most accessible. Realistically I think the stove catching fire has a higher likelihood than the engine bay (but fingers crossed for neither), so it's located accordingly.

First off, I put some painter's tape down on the window sill space of the rear-most driver's side window. Driver's side because the fridge is on the passenger side and it seemed too crowded in there for easy access. Holding the bracket up in the space, I used a sharpie to mark through the holes I drilled out for this specific purpose. They're on the flat planes of the bracket. Once the marks were made, I drilled them out with a drill bit appropriately sized for my rivets.

Fire Extinguisher Mounting Location by 2180miles

Mount Holes Drilled by 2180miles

Once the holes were drilled I got my medium-length rivets set and fit them to the holes. Super easy - you all know how to do that.

Kidde Mount Riveted In Place by 2180miles

I had to use some dikes/diagonal wire cutters to get the rivets cut flush, and then was able to fit the extinguisher itself. I used the super scientific "wiggle" test, and the whole assembly seemed sufficiently secure. Ideally I'll never need to use this thing, but I'm glad to know it's back there now.

Final photos:

Kidde B/C Fire Extinguisher by 2180miles, on Flickr

Kidde B/C Fire Extinguisher Wide View by 2180miles

Exterior View - Kidde Extinguisher by 2180miles

ultraclyde

Observer
That looks nice, but honestly, it would worry me in the event of a major front end collision. Do you think it's secure enough to keep from becoming a deadly projectile if the unthinkable happens? I haven't added one to my GC yet, partially because I worry about that scenario and all the mounting points I like are higher than the rear seat back. I knew a guy that crashed a project car and had a loose pair of dykes gash the back of his head requiring multiple stitches. I don't want to think about a 2lb extinguisher traveling 60mph.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
That looks nice, but honestly, it would worry me in the event of a major front end collision. Do you think it's secure enough to keep from becoming a deadly projectile if the unthinkable happens? I haven't added one to my GC yet, partially because I worry about that scenario and all the mounting points I like are higher than the rear seat back. I knew a guy that crashed a project car and had a loose pair of dykes gash the back of his head requiring multiple stitches. I don't want to think about a 2lb extinguisher traveling 60mph.

Understand and agree with the concern. This is why I switched to the metal bracket instead of just plastic. The shear strength of these rivets is rated around 420lbs in a "perfect" scenario... where I'm into plastic, the plastic obviously becomes my weakest point. In reviewing it with an engineer friend Rob, he suggested a third rivet to form a triangular fastening situation, which I'll do when I get home. In a usual crash scenario, to its benefit, there's not really a clear path for it to go forward, as it would come into direct contact with the C pillar before moving too far forward. There's only about 6" of space in there after the nozzle of the extinguisher.

You're absolutely right that it's a concern to begin with, which I believe I put a bit of thought into, but I may re-evaluate beyond a triangulated rivet if I see an issue. I'll keep you updated!

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
So I found out today that one of my photos (below) was voted into the Overland Expo Photo Contest, and last night was chosen by judges as one of the top 8 images. I was hoping you all might take a chance to vote for it - I'd greatly appreciate it. By their rules you can vote once per day, per IP address.

Thanks so much for the consideration, and perhaps even your vote.

Here's the link:

Overland Expo Photo Contest

Here's the story:

While winter wheeling with a friend in New Hampshire's White Mountains my Jeep broke through thick ice of a frozen-over river, requiring recovery from my buddy's JKU. I took a moment to photograph him pulling the FlatLink at the end of his winch line towards the Grand Cherokee to pull me back safely. The photo was handheld, taken at ISO400, f/2.8, 1/50" exposure.

And here's the image:

Epic Winchline Pull - OverlandExpo Contest by 2180miles

ultraclyde

Observer
Triangulation on the rivets would definitely be a plus, but my main concern was how easily that cam lock retainer strap would pop open under duress. I have a similar one on my boat and I know it's not the most solid thing. You're right, the projectile path is pretty limited...I'm just paranoid.

Great photo, I threw you a vote.

Bourget117

I voted too. Great pic.
I recently came across this thread doing research for my next vehicle. I was originally thinker no of upgrading my 2012 Sahara jku to a 2018 jku. Now I’m thinking GC Trailhawk.

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring

Overland Expo Photo Contest Winner by 2180miles

Well, we just found out we won the Overland Expo photo contest with this image! Huge thanks to the contest organizers, other finalist photographers, and everyone who voted our image to the top! Can't wait to go to Asheville, NC this fall for Overland Expo East!

Special thanks to Factor 55, WARN, and Black Oak LED for their sponsorship of the Jeep & making the winch recovery portion of this photo possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles