Gen 2 Idler arm rebuild/upgrade

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Received mine earlier in the week and can't wait to upgrade! I'll take some pics as well. This is a great piece guys. And one of the few weak links in one of the stoutest IFS setups out there... awesome to finally have a fix!

Cheers ADD!
Phil

EazyE

I ordered one that I should receive soon!
Just a question, is not it advisable to put a greaser?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You could possibly blow out the seal injecting pressure into a sealed arm housing. They should never need service again unless damaged.

snare

Adventurer
You could possibly blow out the seal injecting pressure into a sealed arm housing. They should never need service again unless damaged.

i hope that is true :)

Looking forward to installing mine. Will be doing all tie rod ends, all ball joints, and the pitman arm at the same time.

jaccox23

Adventurer
Finally got around to installing mine. Boy what a difference the kingpin and bushings make partnered with new tie rod ends and some fresh grease on the remaining things. Haven't driven it yet (painting wheels and getting an alignment monday) but just turning it in the driveway is night and day difference in steering wheel play. Also this write up was perfect for the job. Big hammer is your friend for getting the arm off though. Now to just start a budget for a lift kit then i'll be golden on all accounts until the next timing belt interval

Toasty

I'd like to add that there is a serviceable aftermarket Idler arm, it has an actual spring under the cap. I don't recommend using this part but it has been done, things didn't go together smoothly though. Here it is.

508034270.jpg

Toasty

Jaccox23, glad you liked the part. Hope install went as easily as mine did.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Does any one have a trick removing the idler arm when the bolt studs are spinning along with the nut? I have access to a Gen 2 which looks like it has the original OEM idler arm but when trying to remove the 4 nuts that hold it to the frame they studs spin freely with the nut.

Any one have advice? Thanks

Toasty

Does any one have a trick removing the idler arm when the bolt studs are spinning along with the nut? I have access to a Gen 2 which looks like it has the original OEM idler arm but when trying to remove the 4 nuts that hold it to the frame they studs spin freely with the nut.

Put a wrench on the bolt side. ;)

PA_JERO

Adventurer

Wow.... was that question for real?

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Thanks Toasty for the useful suggestion.

I am going to give it another attempt tomorrow with some vice grips this time around...wasn't expecting this issue today.

He's serious. Those aren't bolt studs, they're bolts and they have a head on the other side of the frame rail. You will need a socket, an extension and a ratchet. Do not use vice grips or we will disown you.

Sincerely,
John B.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Johnny,

Haha..thanks man.

Yes...I asked a "newb" question as I am not familiar with this platform and due to my limited access and time to pull parts off a Gen 2 the other day I didn't get time to explore to find a solution which I why I asked. I got a chance today to mess with the Gen 2 SR and I removed the front skid plate and the rubber guards and the plastic piece and found access to the 4 bolt heads and was able to remove the idler arm.

No vice grips needed....and happy I didn't have to resort to using them. :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles