Gen 2 Idler arm rebuild/upgrade

Oso

Forest Defecator
I knew there would be a difference but I wasn't expecting it to be so drastic. With the new lift and mud tires things felt squishy and squirrelly, not at all like it used to before the last year of mods. I wasn't so happy with the handling so I finally got around to installing the new parts. Holy crap this idler & bushing set up rocks! Steering is tight and responsive again and I'm back in love with my rig. Thanks ADD for such fine work. You're future is bright!

jkgordon

I am just about to get started to replace my idler arm bushings. My question is how hard will it be to get the arm off and on the kingpin? Will I need to press it off with a tool? The FSM lists the torque of the nut onto the kingpin as 101ft/lbs, wont the kingpin start to spin while im trying to torque it down? Im still new to wrenching, so sorry if these questions are basic.

-Jay

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Jay, torque it down on the truck with everything connected. Sorry for the slow response, i went off and opened up my own Montero Forum so I've been busy with that and haven't checked this thread.

PacS14

Adventurer
Jay, torque it down on the truck with everything connected. Sorry for the slow response, i went off and opened up my own Montero Forum so I've been busy with that and haven't checked this thread.

I tried signing up for it, still waiting on my approval, is there a reason why you can't just let people sign up like any other forum?

Toasty

I tried signing up for it, still waiting on my approval, is there a reason why you can't just let people sign up like any other forum?

There are no members awaiting approval, you should be good. The reason we did it that way was because we got attacked by bots when the forum first launched. This will change as we refine things, right now we have most of the old school Montero guys and moderators from the other Montero forums running the show so that has sped things up as far as getting the forum rolling.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Any hints on removing the king pin from the idler arm? Unbolted the bracket (4 bolts) but can't get the arm to let go of the king pin. Tried tapping with a hammer, but no dice.
thanks josh

bikerjosh

Explorer
Idler arm/ King Pin upgrade , uh oh

uhBaY57.jpg

Ok, while replacing kingpin that was fused to idler arm I had to remove the idler arm as well in the process tearing the boot. From the looks of the picture should I be replacing the idler arm or can I get a way with just using a little RTV on the rubber gasket? If I do need to replace the idler arm, all the aftermarket ones I have seen have a serrated interior section where the king pin sits versus smooth as OEM.
Thanks

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I'm pretty sure adam (Toasty) has a stash of new idler arms at his house. you can run that for quite a while if you keep grease in it. put a bit of 'right stuff' gasket maker on it, right stuff flexes more than normal RTV.

Toasty

All the new ones I had are gone, you can replace that boot though. Someone might have a spare over on the Adventure Driven Forum but that's all the way on the other side of the internet. For the time being you can just seal it shut, it'll be easier to remove the next time. Did you use a pickle fork on that?

Toasty

Also, If you don't have any luck just shoot me a text and i'll find one for you.

bikerjosh

Explorer
A new wrinkle .....💩

After being away all weekend get home on Sunday afternoon to put the idler arm/king pin assembly
back together. Everything goes smoothly grab the torque wrench after snugging down the nut and split washer, set it to 101 lbs start the final tightening and then it gets easier. Uh oh. Seriously ******! Arrows represent the gash the washer left in nut, and no I wasn't applying more than the 100 lbs of force. Metal fatigue? I did need to use a half inch ratchet w/a piece of pipe to break it loose originally. LOL, the never ending project
kingpinwasher-nut.jpg

Last edited:

Toasty

Can't catch a break can you? I've had lockwashers do that on UCAs before, i think sometimes there's just no spring left to them. Shouldn't be hard to get a new nut and lockwasher, let mw know if you need any help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94