Rugged, warm pants with reinforced knees and seat?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Mep,

Those pants are nice, I have a couple of pairs, but watch the sizing on them. they are way off. I needed probably a 3 xl and I am a large on this side of the pond!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm in my mid-50s, 6'5" @ 240 pounds, and have an athletic build. If I were to wear those Power Ranger pants in the last couple of posts I'd look like some some sort of super hero wannabe.
It's bad enough that most of our "outdoor" gear makes us look like park rangers ---- that I can live with. People always walk up to me and ask what time the courtesy desk closes. But, with Power Ranger pants, they'll come up and ask where Professor X is....

justbecause

perpetually lost
I'm in my mid-50s, 6'5" @ 240 pounds, and have an athletic build. If I were to wear those Power Ranger pants in the last couple of posts I'd look like some some sort of super hero wannabe.
It's bad enough that most of our "outdoor" gear makes us look like park rangers ---- that I can live with. People always walk up to me and ask what time the courtesy desk closes. But, with Power Ranger pants, they'll come up and ask where Professor X is....

I like those soft shells... and I really like the price! I was really excited for a new brand of waxed cotton pants with an appropriate number of pockets and knee pad sleeves until I saw the Three Hundred Dollar price tag!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
the power ranger pants are insanely comfy. Just buy the basic all black. That being said, I have green and tan color and they are AWESOME. Water just rolls off them, and they are warm. I don't camp in parks so People asking me where the courtesy desk is a non issue unless it's a moose or something like that.

FlipperFla

These pants seems like a good idea.... until I'm reminded of this.....

1b904dce6b8b2207538e60ebcca67f5f.jpg

Don't go drinking your own... ... ... ..
These pants seems like a good idea.... until I'm reminded of this.....

1b904dce6b8b2207538e60ebcca67f5f.jpg

Don't go drinking your own... ... ... ..
They are Craghoppers of England, but manufactured in China, discontinued. Some on Ebay but the quality and stitching look really bad. I have had good luck with 5.11 pants and shorts and also Northface.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Arcteryx makes some nice stuff. My buddies and I call it "Tactical Gucci".

For those on much more of a budget, Eddie Bauer has some decent stuff and if you wait for their 50% off sales (which they have constantly) you can get some good deals.

MEGA

There is only one answer i give when it comes to pants anymore: Duluth Trading Company. If there is a scenario, they have a solution. Personally I’ve weeded it it down to the dry-on-the-fly collection. Damn near bulletproof (at least farm proof).

MOguy

Explorer
Can anyone recommend some rugged, warm pants that have reinforced knees and seat/crotch?

At Overland Expo all of the instructors had pants with nylon(?) reinforcement patches on the knees and seat but I'm having trouble finding something similar. I'm tired of getting wet muddy knees every time i kneel down to start a fire, or air down tires or something. I like canvas pants (carharts, duluth firehose, etc...) but the first time you sit or kneel in damp grass you are all wet. Does anyone make canvas pants with nylon knee patches/seat? Does that exist?

I've found a few "tactical" pants that kinda are what I want, but I don't want loads of pockets and hate tacticool stuff

If you really want reinforced, built to last, and don't mind paying for it and reflective striping doesn't bother you and look into Emergency Response "bunker gear" clothing.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
A company I had never heard of previously has been advertising heavily in the US shooting/police/mil market. UFpro out of Slovenia. From what I heard their pants (they make all sorts of clothing) are excellent.

Bought a pair of striker XT 2 to try. You can add more knee padding to them and you can put a winter liner in the pants. I will come back with some use feedback in a few months maybe.

https://ufpro.com/uf_pro_products/pants/82/uf_pro_striker_xt_gen_2_combat_pants/

They also make a pant called p40, lighter use case than a striker xt.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Check out the offerings from Filson. Specifically, the Oil finish tin cloth pants. These suckers are rugged as heck. The filson clothes are well worth the price, and no kidding last decades. The Tin Cloth pants are the non treated version of the oil finish pants, same rugged triple stick etc etc but better air flow if as the site puts it "Extreme weather protection" is not needed." https://www.filson.com/oil-finish-single-tin-pants.html#sku=11014005-fco-000000062

If you want something a bit cheaper the Filson CCF utility pant looks to be a solid option. It is basically their version of the classic carhartt double knee pants, but built a lot better.

I have given up on Carhartt pants ( at least the canvas ones ) They just dont last for crap anymore. Their wind and waterproof tech fabric stuff is nice, as is their quick dry stuff, but they have fallen off the wagon in terms of bullet proof utility pants as far as I can tell. These days

old .45

Observer
Filson "Tin Cloth" pants perhaps? I had a pair when
I was younger beat the snot out of them and the were pretty weather resistant, never did wear them out... grew out of them, probably should anti up for a new pair now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles