Vehicle mounting solution

Jeff Dodgen

Explorer
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 to use as a dedicated tablet with apps for navigation. In looking for a vehicle mount I checked RAM and found their GDS like of powered mounts with a locking option. Has anyone had any experience with these? Seems like a good option to mount in my often doorless Wrangler that I could remove pretty easily to discuss with friends outside the vehicle.

Seems like a no brainer.........except for the cost.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-GDS-DOCKL-V2-SAM24U

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got an older Ram setup for a Tab 3 8". Mine is the spring closure, non-locking so I can't comment on that part but I'd recommend getting the shortest and sturdiest mount you can. I bought the rod setup that mounts to the seat bolts* as well as the windshield mount and I like the windshield mount better. Either works ok going down the road but get on even a gravel road and the seat mount vibrates too much.

*The seat mount was bought primarily so I could mount a netbook but it moves too much and I rarely use it.

Last edited:

Two Jeeps

I use ProClip's Standard Holder for my Tab A 7. The tablet can be removed from the holder easily and hasn't popped out yet on rocky/washboard roads.
The rest of my mount is Ram and a plate I made for the dash tray on a 2015 JKUR.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
It may be pricey, but so it a tablet, and it's software, and it's maps... I use a ram mount for my phone. Once I step up to a tablet, I'm putting it in a ram mount.

Lucky j

Explorer
I got the xgrip used for a samsung galaxie 8" from ram mount that will be installed on a custom windshiel bar that goes form vertical frame to vertical fram just above the dash board.
image.jpg
image.jpg

And this is in my dd
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Teh_VIking

I just picked up the same tablet as well, I was going to use a spare go pro suction cup mount, then I found a $6 helmet adapter that will attach to a sticky pad to the back of the tablet so it can easily be removed. At least that is my plan so far.. I also have a Mob Armor Mob-x which is awesome, I use it for a 9.7 ipad and it handles it with ease. They make a smaller version that is made for phones that might work with that 7 inch tablet

http://mobarmor.com/products/smart-phone/mobnetic/

Jeff Dodgen

Explorer
Did you see the universal tablet holder. should have one to fit a tablet with a case.
http://www.proclipusa.com/mobile-device-holders/universal-holders/universal-phone-holders.aspx

I didn't see that one, although I found there are not really any decent cases out for my tablet yet anyway.

I ended up ordering the GDS mount with Intelliskin from RAM. I have used other RAM products and liked them just was unfamiliar with this series. I had to grit my teeth a bit to buy a mount that costs as much as the tablet itself though, but even with it I am still under my budget for a nav system. This setup will be in a retired rockcrawler attempting to be a more expo rig Jeep TJ that runs only a bikini top 95% of the year. Should be going west of Talledega Alabama for my first time in 38 years of life this summer to explore a few moderate trails around the Black Hills. Figured it was a good time to get a nice setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles