Locker issues

JoeLFNT80

I have a 95 fzj80 with lockers. So I'm having an issue regarding the front lockers. When I'm in 4hi I have zero problems. I put it to 4lo and still no issues. Lock the rears works flawlessly. When I lock the front the lights turn on and as I'm driving when steering a little left or right I hear a clunk and my ff locker lights start blinking and I noticed that only one side tire spins. Any takes?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Could be a stick or inoperable actuator, could be a sticky limit switch. I'd start by removing the actuator and cleaning this up and testing the engagement with it loose. If you need an actuator, we (Cruiser Outfitters) stock new AISIN ones (same manufacture as OE)

JoeLFNT80

Thanks Kurt I've checked your site many times! Great to know that you guys carry quality parts! And as far as the actuator I'm going to check it out this coming week! Appreciate the feedback 👍🏻

Upland80

Adventurer
Actuators on these 20 year old rigs often go out if not maintained. I don't understand why people insist on buying factory locked rigs. I'd opt for the lowest mileage/best condition unlocked 80 and add brand new Harrop E-Lockers that can be wired to the factory dial.
2015-12-31 00.54.51.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Actuators on these 20 year old rigs often go out if not maintained. I don't understand why people insist on buying factory locked rigs. I'd opt for the lowest mileage/best condition unlocked 80 and add brand new Harrop E-Lockers that can be wired to the factory dial.

Cost is one major reason. The premium of a factory locked rig is often much less (and at times zero) versus $2-4K for an aftermarket locker install. Both actuators if in fact non-op and non-repairable are a 1/4 of that. Fwiw having worked on hundreds of e-locked diffs, I've seen just a handful of actuator failures and they were almost always rigs that simply never got used and or spent time salt water, etc. I'll certainly agree they paying a $2k+ premium for a factory locked rig would make an aftermarket selectable locker install more savory.

AK.xplorer

Observer
Kurt,

To amplify your point, I just picked up a clean, locked fzj80 with a clean car fax report showing a headgasket job already done by a reputable shop.

The rig has brand new All Terrain KO's. I paid $2200 for the rig. The front locker is inop, which is typical. I've found to fix the front locker, costs are negligible, if nothing at all.

So, a fully locked, entire vehicle, for far less than the parts required to do a harrop or arb job.

Geeze, I don't know why guys buy these locked 80 series..........

attachment.php

attachment.php

Arktikos

Explorer
Kurt,

To amplify your point, I just picked up a clean, locked fzj80 with a clean car fax report showing a headgasket job already done by a reputable shop.

The rig has brand new All Terrain KO's. I paid $2200 for the rig...

Only in Alaska. There was a similar one here. not quite so nice, for $2500 last year. How about updating your "worst Land Cruiser experience" story?

RDC76

Adventurer
you can also easily convert your faulty factory elocker actuators over to air actuators. I have done this on the rear on mine and am working on the front. works awesome, fast positive engagement. And the diff lock light in the dash will still work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke