Toilets new ideas

Gunner207

Observer
Has anyone tried the Laveo Dry Flush toilets. It is kinda like an adult diaper genie. No water, no plumbing, relatively light weight (around 50 lbs total). I am thinking is using one in my ultra compact slide in camper. Emptying porta potties is always a messy job and sitting on one feels like parent teacher night at a kindergarten.

Please share thoughts.

Thanks

javajoe79

Fabricator
I feel like that is the last thing any of us should be using. Just creates a poop sausage that has to go in the landfill.

Gunner207

Observer
Thanks for the thoughts. I hear they have been working on a biodegradable liner bag, I think I'll probably wait for that before considering it further.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Add that and a urine diverter redesign and it would be perfect...
Kevin
Nowhere near perfect... just legal. Perfect is a system that renders the deposits inert or converted back into substance nature loves. Problem is there are items NOT natural that are in our urin and fecal matter so often, thus in reality as a whole it can NOT be truly converted/degraded back to nature loving materials (asprin, other medicines, and any of the other 14,000 food chemical additives/fillers* that end up in our urine and fecal matter for example. ) Therfore it may well be that best is to make it innert such as by incenerating it.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2010-01-chemical-additives-food.html

The Artisan

Adventurer
Coach I would say a good solution not perfect. How is it any different than someone that empties their composting toilet every 2 weeks, and urine every other day?
Kevin

patoz

Expedition Leader
I researched these about a year ago, and thought I had found the idea toilet for my situation. Besides the environmental issues, I discovered another one.

Those cartridges are designed for 15 - 17 'deposits', so for someone on an extended trip or with a family of five, that would be fine. However, most of my trips usually end up being just me for a weekend, or maybe a full week.

So, if I go for a weekend and use it 2-3 times, it will sit because I don't want to waste the majority if a $20.00 liner. Now, if I don't go camping again for a month or two, it's really going to get weird. You can't cut the used portion off, because of the octagon base it has to have to make it twist the bag into individual containment pouches.

If they solve that problem, it may be worth considering. It's not the ideal disposable method, but no worse than a garbage bag full of dirty diapers going into the dump.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Pantoz,
My thoughts as well when I first looked a them. Make a 4-6 time use, it would make more sense for the single weekend user with the diverter.
Kevin

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
41OOjdFp%2ByL.jpg

One of these will get you through a weekend, but after that all bets are off!

b0216.gif

downhill

Adventurer
I keep it pretty simple ...

View attachment 383484

Same here. Weighs nothing, costs nothing, nothing to fail, and no hard to find parts. The 4 gallon bags can be had from any grocery store. I also use a scoop of lightweight cat litter, so nothing liquid is left to spill. I'm guessing I have used this over 1,000 times in the last 6 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles