California to Nebraska in a round about way ... again.

rea9390

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your trip and awesome pictures. Would love to follow your route some day soon!

Stick Figure

Observer
Great photos and story. Thanks so much for sharing

Great photos for sure, food in the mid west looks delicious!

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, amazing pictures! Inspires to get involved into expeditions as well! Thanks for posting....

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your trip and awesome pictures. Would love to follow your route some day soon!

Thanks all, and yes absolutely get out and explore.

Golly, I haven't been to a Godfathers since I moved from Iowa. Get you a Casey's Pizza and a pork tenderloin sandwich somewhere and your trip is complete!

It sure is hard to beat Runza. I grew up an hour south of Omaha and miss Runza and Amigos a lot. Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous and that's one good looking 4runner.

A couple of you know all about that food then! I usually have about a month worth of withdraws when I get back to California!

Great photos, looks like a fun time all around. Any exploring on the return trip?

a little bit, I just had to finish sorting through the photos.

Omaha is a pretty cool town. We love to go up and visit. Nebraska overall I think is underrated. The Sandhills along with the northwest part of the state are some of my favorite places to travel.

As a kid I was pretty over it, now that I'm a bit older I think there is a bit more to appreciate, and once you are off hwy 80 there is a whole lot more to see!

Stick Figure

Observer
and to finish this up ...

The Return Trip

Overall-Edit-1024x455.jpg

Well there it is the complete trip route. I hate to ruin a good ending, but its pretty obvious that we made it back. I've been back at work for a month, and been posting photos from the trip for just as long, so you already know nothing catastrophic happened. Now that the suspense filled conclusion is out, lets talk about the details.

DSC00825-1024x682.jpg

I shall call it Mini Me! A quick shot of "my other 4Runner", aka my parents x-mas gift a few years back. Thats what happens when you get tired of phone calls about a broken Ford so you replace it with a 4Runner. Not nearly as many phone calls now and much easier to answer when you know the vehicle inside and out. This year I even lucked out and didn't need to do any maintenance before we left.

DSC00840-1024x576.jpg

We didn't have a ton of time to do any real hardcore exploration on the way back, but I wasn't about to give in to taking the same old route home. We left Omaha around mid morning traveling on highway 75 north towards highway 12 which has been dubbed the "Scenic Outlaw Trail".

DSC00837-Pano-1024x438.jpg

We saw some scenery,

DSC008381-1024x576.jpg

and explored some small towns.

DSC00845-1024x576.jpg

Then eventually we were treated to what I have dubbed a "Delicious Sunset".

DSC00847-1024x576.jpg

Not everyone thought it was as amusing as I did.

DSC00848-1024x576.jpg

One more stop to grab that sunset...

DSC00861-Pano-1024x321.jpg

and a possibly abandon home.

DSC00873-HDR-1024x576.jpg

By the time we hit Valentine Nebraska, we decided driving the Scenic Byway wasn't very beneficial in the dark. I of course picked what looked to be the most interesting road south. Highway 97 winds in between the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge on the east and the Samuel R. McKelvie National Forest on the west. Judging by photos online this area would have been much better if you could see farther than the PIAA's light could pierce.

Eventually we intersected*highway 2 and hung a right. We stayed on that until we came to Alliance Nebraska where we called it a day.
DSC03042-1024x576.jpg

Okay car lovers young and old, whats Alliance Nebraska famous for? Yep the photo gives it away again... Carhenge!

DSC03083-Pano-1024x390.jpg

This wasn't our fist time in the area, but the last time we were here it was a "oh **** the sun is about to set, go go go" as we tore through town to make it before the sun set on the cars.
DSC03049-1024x576.jpg

This time all I had to do was get up a little early and make it to Carhenge before sunrise. Mission accomplished.

DSC00913-Pano-1024x576.jpg

If you want to shoot abandoned buildings, there is plenty out this way. Some we stopped to shoot, some we drove right by. This was a from the car window shot since there were still a few people around in the "semi ghost town", and we didn't want to draw more attention to ourselves.

DSC00916-Pano-Edit-1024x576.jpg

From Carhenge, we were*headed to Chimney Rock to cross another place off of my "haven't been there in years" and Jamie's "Never Been There" lists.

DSC03134-HDR-Edit-2-1024x576.jpg

I could tell you Chimney Rock was an epic sight that day, but in reality there's a bit of photo editing magic going on once again.

DSC03153-Pano-Edit-1024x576.jpg

From Chimney Rock Scottsbluff was only 20 miles down the road, so we headed that way. What we found was living proof that Nebraska is in fact not just flat.

DSC03157-1024x576.jpg

We also found a few diamonds in the rough so to speak. It's pretty amazing some of the cars and trucks you find scattered through out fields, and in salvage yards out in this part of the country.

DSC04734-1024x682.jpg

While eating some lunch in Scottsbluff, I was browsing my phone for other sites to see in the area when I stumbled across the western Nebraska lighthouse and had to go see it. We arrived at*Lake Minatare only to find that it was closed. We tried a couple of different entrances but everything was gated off. (Later I found out that it is shut down from October through January for bird migration.) In trying to catch a glimpse of the lighthouse I found a dirt road leading in the right direction so we took it. It didn't lead very far, but it did get me far enough that with a 400mm telephoto lens I was at least able to get a photo of the Nebraska Lighthouse and a rather frozen looking Lake Minatare.

Salt Lake City Utah was the next and final stop of the day.

DSC00938-1024x576.jpg

From Salt Lake City we were back on Interstate 80 and had to focus mainly on making time.

DSC00937-1024x576.jpg

I had to stop and see how wet the Salt Flats were. We've tried to make it out for speed week the last couple of years, but the water hasn't cooperated with our or the event planners itinerary.

DSC00939-1024x576.jpg

A very dirty 4Runner at the Salt Flats rest stop.

DSC03180-1024x682.jpg

The only Nevada stop was the Thunder Mountain Indian Monument. I have no idea what the history on this place is, but it is sensory overload. There are random bits of car parts and what other might consider trash making up a good portions of this building, and its artwork. The longer you stand there and stare the more you see and the more creepy it feels.

More in the original write up here

We were welcomed back to California by a light snow causing several drivers to lose their minds and stop mid interstate to put chains on. It slowed traffic to a crawl but after more than quadrupling our time we finally got home just into the next day.

The final stats:

DSC00972-1024x1024.jpg

DSC00974-1024x576.jpg

And after all that I would have turned around and left again if time and money permitted.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I looked at their map, the closest Runza to you is in Loveland CO.. They mentioned that they will mail you food.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Great pictures thanks for sharing them. I like NE when I have time to look (all too rare these days sadly).....when I'm hurrying it seems endless, but the beauty is there in those quiet little tracks connecting one place to another....I just have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy it and stop hurrying to get somewhere. Love your photography!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94