My slower than crap CJ5 build.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
All didn't go well... Got the shifter off of the transfercase but couldn't get the adapter for the new twin stick cable shifter mounted. There is a piece in the way I need to cut off, but my sawzall died. Will have to pick up a new one soon. Probably get a battery powered one.

unkamonkey

Explorer
All didn't go well... Got the shifter off of the transfercase but couldn't get the adapter for the new twin stick cable shifter mounted. There is a piece in the way I need to cut off, but my sawzall died. Will have to pick up a new one soon. Probably get a battery powered one.
Sawzalls are hard to kill. It's usually the cord. My neighbor has a battery powered one, it works well.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Mine is a 20 year old Craftsman, and the whole shaft broke off the front. No way to mount a blade. I like how the new ones can mount the blade in 4 directions. Looking at the 20 v Dewalt.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Got the JB twin stick cable shifter mounted, but can't get the transfer case to move out of neutral in the front drive. Shifter is good, T-case is messed up somehow. Worked 2 weeks ago... ???

Took the front passenger seat out, and built Brandy a temporary front seat dog bed. I'll have to re do it later when I get my suspension seat and build the center console for the shifters, but it's good enough for this summer.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Haven't had much energy or money to put into the project, but I have done a few small things.

New front recovery points are off my old F250.

Put in a CB. Not many places to fit a full size radio in a CJ5. I welded a couple bars between the top runners on the roll cage. I used an old bracket from a military vehicle radio antenna.

Installed a Blue Sea charging port in the radio hole in the dash. Can't wait to get rid of the diamond plate.

Steps make it easier to get in and don't cost any ground clearance. Jerry cans go mounted on the side. They can't hit anything as the tires stick out with the full width axles.

Put the Hi-Lift on the cowl in front of the windshield that I'll probably never put down.

Maybe it's because I was raised around British cars, but I love to have the windshield down. I actually took it off my Rover, but then that's a mostly trail rig. Summer heat and lack of A/C will have you begging for any source of fresh air.

Truck's looking good. Keep the pics coming.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I love to have the windshield down too, but only around town or on the trail. I wanted to mount the jack on the side above the rear wheel well, but it's the big 60" Extreme version leftover from a previous truck, and is too long for the CJ5 body there. I'm still thinking of moving it there after my spare tire carrier is built, as that would make it so the jack wouldn't extend out back past anything. The Jeep will get a soft top, and though I'll often take off the doors, and roll up the sides and back, I'll probably seldom fold the whole thing down so having the windshield down is less likely.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I am not going to post in this thread any more. Plans have changed. I will not be building this vehicle. I'm going with a slightly larger CJ7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz