My slower than crap CJ5 build.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
People like photos, so I'll start out with one.

Got my new (to me) 1979 Jeep CJ5 today. This is my 3rd CJ5, but the last one I had was when Regan was in office. I decided to start my build thread on the same day I took delivery, but please do not expect a complete build in a short time. You see I'm poor. Well, OK, maybe not poor poor, but I'm living off my VA disability, so there's not a lot of cash raining down on me.

My starting point is rough not only due to the 38 year old vehicle, but the jurry rigged stuff done by others. Oh, I'll jurry rig stuff too, but there are some things I need to address. This thing was modified into a sand toy a couple of owners ago. She has a strong 360 under the hood with a 4 barrel, headers, a mild cam, and MSD ignition. Trans is a Torqueflite 727. Transfer case is supposed to be a Dana 20. Axles are from a full size Dodge truck, 4.88 geared and mounted SOA on 33x12.50s. They are Dana 44 in front, with lockouts, and 9.25 rear with a Detroit locker. They have 4 wheel discs brakes, but not power brakes. No top, no doors, no heater or defrost, rusty spots to fix, and the aforementioned jurry rigged stuff.

She will not be a daily driver. I will use her as a weekend wheeling vehicle, but I do want to make enough changes to her to be able to take her on longer expo style trips. Thanks to this site, and my last truck, I have visions of Black Bear Pass, MOAB, Drummond Island MI, and even Alaska... in 2019. Most of the time she ventures off the beaten path will be right here in good old Indiana at the Badlands Off Road Park an hr south of me, but I have to make her good enough for travel because There are so many places in this beautiful country I want to see. I'm going to do her up as a copy of an M38A1, but in desert colors like the vehicles I drove in Iraq. She'll get a soft top one of these days, but the plastic racing seats are going away by spring. My spine is too mangled up for anything other than good suspension seats. She is not intended to be anything other than a fun vehicle to go exploring in, and I'm not a good welder or fabricator, so don't expect to see top notch workmanship.

D

Deleted member 96197

Awesome project, I just built a 1979 CJ7, have fun with it.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Then there is stuff life the fact that the builder put new spring pads on the rear axle to match up with the width of the CJ frame, but doesn't cut the factory Dodge truck pads off, and runs a brake line under a u-bolt.

The front has the springs mounted on the Dodge truck's factory spring pads, but this was done by building a homemade bracket to widen the frame front. It's welded to the frame and front bumper. At least it looks strong enough.

Two Jeeps

Stock springs on all CJ's are 2 1/2" wide in the rear and 2" in the front.
You could try Google the part number on that rear spring to see who made it.
One of my Jeeps is an '84 CJ7 that is my hobby Jeep.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Had to go for a cruise with 60 degree weather in January. Stupid thing wouldn't start, until I remembered it's old, and has a carb. You have to pump the gas pedal to make the accelerator pump squirt some fuel in. LOL. Did a tire rotation too. Cost me $13 at NAPA for a deep well impact socket to fit the 1" lug nuts. It has 4 point harness that I can't get adjusted out tall enough. Just use the lap belt part for now. I'll have to take the off to get the buckle working. Had to tighten up the bolt on the steering arm where the heim joint goes on the knuckle. Didn't care for that ~60 degrees I had to saw the wheel back and forth to go in a straight line. I know the 360 V-8 is way more engine than is needed for a ~2,600 pound Jeep, but it sure is music to my ears. Love the roar of a big American V-8. Anyway, listen to this beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZtpnLOYIU

Happykamper

Explorer
Daddy max

Love it !!!! Going to follow this thread for sure. Looks like you got a pretty good canvas to start with !! Good luck :)

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
While traction bars are a good thing on a SOA Jeep, the ones that came on the Jeep were designed to mount solid like the upper links on a 4 link. They put the leafs in a bind when they flexed. So I got the traction bars off. You can tell that the lack of a front shackle put them under stress by the fact that they are no longer straight...

Went to test the flex, and now I think my front axle isn't powered, despite seeing the driveshaft rotate. Guess I'll have to check the hubs next. Found a possible CJ5 carcass to pick through from a facebook group (midwest overlanders) contact, so some parts may be coming within the next month or so.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Picked up a factory D20 transfercase skidplate. I'll try to get that to work with the 360 and 727. It will have to be a bit towards the rear, but we'll see. Took her out wheeling for the first time Sunday. I needed a place for my stuff, so I did my first mod. I installed a 20mm ammo can as a center console. Works good. Jeeps and ammo cans go way back.

While traction bars are a good thing on a SOA Jeep, the ones that came on the Jeep were designed to mount solid like the upper links on a 4 link. They put the leafs in a bind when they flexed. So I got the traction bars off. You can tell that the lack of a front shackle put them under stress by the fact that they are no longer straight...

Went to test the flex, and now I think my front axle isn't powered, despite seeing the driveshaft rotate. Guess I'll have to check the hubs next. Found a possible CJ5 carcass to pick through from a facebook group (midwest overlanders) contact, so some parts may be coming within the next month or so.

That system seldom works out as planned. Glad you decided to get rid of it. One way to control axle wrap is to install long perches and maybe a stiff overload spring on the bottom of the spring pack.

Nice looking Jeep. I do like the color.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
That system seldom works out as planned. Glad you decided to get rid of it. One way to control axle wrap is to install long perches and maybe a stiff overload spring on the bottom of the spring pack.

Nice looking Jeep. I do like the color.

Thanks, but that color is going away. Doing a military style build. Leafs are going away too. Going to do a coilover swap with 3 link in front, 4 link out back. Teardown for that will start after the summer riding season.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Here's a shot of my constant shadow Brandy and I last week on our first trip off roading in over a year. She is my 98 pound German Shepherd. (more like German Shedder) She is a service dog and is with me 24/7. The passenger seat will be replaced by a custom made platform for Brandy as she's too big to lay down on a bucket seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles