Dual Battery, Solar, Wiring setup help: 2008 Toyota 4runner

GXWagon

Adventurer
Hey there,

I am trying to figure out the rest of this diagram so I know what I need to get in terms of Blue sea fuse blocks, fuses, wiring, relays. What needs a relay and what doesn't.
Here are my Wattage and Amp-hr loads. I am not running anything major. The only thing I see that I would run regularly is the fridge and maybe on occasion a laptop.
You can see I am using a dual battery setup with IBS battery controller

The Starter Battery
The 20" light bar I want connected to turn on with my high beams
Back up lights will turn on in reverse.
and Fog light will turn on with fog lights.

The Aux Battery
I want everything running off my aux batt. to have its own rocker switch in the vehicle and likely have its own relay.

Last edited:

GXWagon

Adventurer
It looks good if its just to represent a one line drawing. Fwiw, I am sort of stickler for OCPDs what are not shown for individual circuits.

As far as relays or not, there is no hard rules. Much depends on ones desires for simplicity(or not), conductor size & raceway limitations, physical locations of power source, devices & appliances, etc..

Electric winch, I prefer connected to starting battery, but can work on either 'batt. Each method has slight benefit over another.

I understood about half of what you said there. I am a NEWB. I know so many people have different ideas on where to connect the winch. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

jeegro

Adventurer
The fuses at either side of the relay seem redundant with the breakers.

I would drop the relay and fuses in favor of a Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR wired directly to the batteries (assuming the distance is under a foot)

I'd also put the inverter on its own fuse, so that if it blows, you don't trip all your other circuits. Blue sea Safety Hub 150 is a great device for this

Alternator doesn't need to sit behind a breaker either, I'd wire it directly to the battery (it probably was, with factory)

Put your lights on the left hand column behind a fuse panel so that each individual circuit is protected and again, doesn't trip all the other lights

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Blue Sea. Consider taking a look at the 1830 M2 Battery Monitor instead of the IBS.

GXWagon

Adventurer

I would drop the relay and fuses in favor of a Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR wired directly to the batteries (assuming the distance is under a foot)

I'd also put the inverter on its own fuse, so that if it blows, you don't trip all your other circuits. Blue sea Safety Hub 150 is a great device for this

Alternator doesn't need to sit behind a breaker either, I'd wire it directly to the battery (it probably was, with factory)

Put your lights on the left hand column behind a fuse panel so that each individual circuit is protected and again, doesn't trip all the other lights

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Blue Sea. Consider taking a look at the 1830 M2 Battery Monitor instead of the IBS.

From my understanding my IBS system does exatly what the blue sea 7622 ML-ACR & 1830 M2 Battery Monitor together. It monitors the battery it can also use the relay to link or unlink the dual batteries.

jeegro

Adventurer
I looked into the IBS, and I found many negative and mixed reviews about it. On the contrary, not a single person has anything bad to say about the Blue Sea ACR. Many have switched from IBS to Blue Sea, and are happier for it. My 2 cents

GXWagon

Adventurer
I looked into the IBS, and I found many negative and mixed reviews about it. On the contrary, not a single person has anything bad to say about the Blue Sea ACR. Many have switched from IBS to Blue Sea, and are happier for it. My 2 cents

Hey Jeegro,

I may have mis communicated. I wasn't challenging the quality of Blue Sea vs. IBS. Blue Sea quality is 2nd to none. I currently have the IBS. If I were to switch, I would have to buy a new setup at more than double the price. For argument's sake, I hope the setup that is double the price performs better. But if the application is the same and I can get by with my current IBS I would prefer to go that route.

Monterado

Observer

jeergro-
I am currently considering the 7622-ML. My house battery will be in the rear compartment of my Montero and my starter will obviously be under the hood. Could you please explain your comment about the distance between the batteries being significant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz