Shock Boots? ...or Not?

• Boot it!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Bootless

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters

+ d

Adventurer
What's the consensus on Rubber Shock Boots?

My Bilsteins didn't come with them, so i bought some. But on the front I am really working through all my travel when I disconnect my sway bar, so they yank off on one end when the axle droops and get smashed on the other side when fully stuffed. And they seem to trap water when in DD mode. So last time I changed my oil I cut them off, because even though they are too long they act too short!

Do they offer any real world benefits, protecting the shaft from rocks, etc? or are they just water traps? Are there any options out there that I need to know about? Like a retrofit-able OME style "stone guard"?

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I hate them... and you hit the nail on the head... water. Even if they do have some little drains (that doesn't get all the water out). They still get full of sand, etc.

photoleif

Observer
second that. i left mine off for those reasons and that i don't like bling on my rig. i've considered painting them black as well, so they'd blend in, but that would be a pain for the fronts.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Off...the main benefit of removing them is the shock boot does not hold water/mud etc and prematurely destroy the shafts seal leading to failure of the shock.

gjackson

FRGS
Off. I left them off. But, the shafts on my rear Foxs now have dings in them that will eventually destroy the seals. I'd like some sort of stone guard, but not a boot.

cheers

seth_js

Explorer
Both sides of the argument have already been mentioned. Boots trap dirt, which in turn leads to premature failure. Bootless leaves the shaft open to chips from rocks, which leads to premature failure. So I ride bootless because I think it looks better. :p

-Seth

robert

Expedition Leader
Just get OME and you get the protection from rocks, etc without trapping water. :D

I ran boots on my Land Cruisers, but always put 4 holes in the bottom bellows to allow them to drain. Never have problams with the shafts, but the bodies rusted on the Ranchos.

PCRover

Adventurer
How about using boots, but leave them loose at the bottom. This will give you protection from inpact dings, but allow water and stuff to drain out the bottom.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I say just go with whatever you like the best for whatever reason. Chances are the shock will get toasted before the shock boot controversy ever has a chance to play out.

+ d

Adventurer
Yeah that about sums it up BT!

I'll keep on rockin' bootless...the good thing about my set up is that the shock body is at the top and the shaft end is at the axles. So the shafts are, at the very least, out of the direct trajectory path of the tire tread...so yeah, i have centrifugal force on my side.

Carl, I love 'em...I had the adjustable Rancho's for a little while, but didn't really enjoy the ride, figured I would try a gas charged shock and ended up at the 5150's. Here's a bit of a write up I did in my mod thread.

Thanks for the input guys!
:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles