Big Bend Ranch State Park MLK Weekend January 2017

slacker 24/7

Thanks for the excellent write up and pics , as usual Nolen. That's one place I really wanna get to in the next couple years and this just fuels the fire more.

wngrog

Adventurer
Only 4 of the 7 of us had ever been to the State Park Ranch before so we repeated our campsite from last year, Tres Papalotes. From the HQ camp is over an hour east so we grabbed up our lone non-100 series Land Cruiser driver and his nasty electric blue 1st gen Tundra and took off for camp.

IMG_3172-X3.jpg

Tres Papalotes is on the edge of the amazing formation called El Solitario, a sunken ancient volcano. This rock gives you an idea of the type of volcanic rock in the area

IMG_3175-X2.jpg

IMG_3198-X3.jpg

IMG_3177-X3.jpg

Once again, we were blessed with beautiful weather and at last, a great camp fire. We broke out the Skottles and camp stoves and had Louisiana gumbo and pork chops

IMG_3182-X3.jpg

IMG_3196-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
We woke up the next morning and fired up the skottles, wandered around Tres Papalotes, took pictures and had a leisurely morning.

IMG_3200-X3.jpg

IMG_3203-X3.jpg

IMG_3213-X2.jpg

IMG_3214-X2.jpg

IMG_3220-X2.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
We finally split out of camp around 9:30 am. We had a couple of dead-end destinations with small turn arounds at the end so we left 3 of our 7 vehicles at camp. First spot was the Uranium mine. This is a beautiful climb that takes you to a high point on the eastern edge of Big Bend Ranch. Views are outstanding and the trail is great. Not to mention that you get to drive over a 1940's era Uranium mine......

IMG_3239-X3.jpg

IMG_3236-X2.jpg

After we drove up to the top, we took the south fork and drove to the end of the road. This was a nice trail down the wash to the southern end of El Solitairo

IMG_3270-X3.jpg

IMG_3267-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
After we cruised to the end of the road near Shutup Canyon in the SE corner of the park, we backtracked to enter The Road to Nowhere. This is a cool narrow road that traces the eastern edge of El Solitario, an ancient volcano.

IMG_3279-X3.jpg

You can see our camp in the distance over Louis' LX470

IMG_3282-X3.jpg

IMG_3298-X3.jpg

It takes a big ole Land Cruiser a 5-6 point turn to get turned around at Nowhere. I am sure we could have squeezed a couple more in on the trip but 4 seems optimal.

IMG_3301-X3.jpg

IMG_3307-X3.jpg

Camp again in the distance as we descend

IMG_3310-X3.jpg

IMG_3313-X3.jpg

IMG_3315-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
Here are a couple more pictures from camp, we stopped in and collected our vehicles we left behind and stopped to check out Fresno Vista on the way back to the headquarters to register for night number 2.

IMG_3179-X3.jpg

IMG_3180-X3.jpg

I love the living desert. You can leave here without looking close and see nothing but if you look close you see life everywhere

IMG_3318-X3.jpg

The vastness of Big Bend is amazing. The mountains seem to go forever in all direction

IMG_3320-X3.jpg

Fresno Vista is on the list of campsites for the next trip. This is looking west. It would be an amazing sunset spot.

IMG_3336-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
We stopped in HQ, took a shower, grabbed some ice and hit the trail for Guale 2 campsite. The weather report was 50% chance of rain with 25-30 mph winds out of the east. We backed up camp with Guale 1 which is in a protected area but we really has Guale 2 on the brain.

This trail started off good and got better after every turn.

IMG_3343-X3.jpg

IMG_3344-X2.jpg

IMG_3347-X3.jpg

IMG_3351-X3.jpg

IMG_3353-X3.jpg

IMG_3359-X3.jpg

Last edited:

wngrog

Adventurer
At this point Andy got on the radio and said can we stop and take some drone footage? I was glad to oblige and took the Phantom up for a spin to try to capture more of what we were seeing

https://youtu.be/iywa-Cm87Uc

Check out the link above for a short video clip of the mesa

Last edited:

wngrog

Adventurer
The park ranger told us it would take over 2 hours to go the 8 miles to Guale 2 and the storm we knew was coming was brewing hard to the west.

IMG_3366-X3.jpg

IMG_3390-X3.jpg

IMG_3402-X3.jpg

IMG_3414-X3.jpg

We dropped into the campsite as the sun was setting and were greeted with 20 mph winds but what felt like camping on the edge of the Grand Canyon. This is one of the most unreal sites I have ever seen and even though we knew we were going to get hammered by the wind, we knew the sunrise here would make it worthwhile.

IMG_3416-X3.jpg

IMG_3422-X3.jpg

IMG_3428-X3.jpg

IMG_3461-X3.jpg

IMG_3464-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
That evening we pitched tents and cooked dinner on the edge of the Guale Mesa. As thunderstorms crashed to the west and north of us, the east wind picked up to steady 20-30 mph. We took David's ridiculous looking electric blue tundra with non matching camper top and blocked some of the wind so we could enjoy the light show that rivaled any 4th of July display. By about 8 pm everyone had stowed their tents and made arrangements to sleep inside their vehicles. No one wanted to drive the mile back to Guale 1 campsite and miss sunrise over the canyon.

Turned out staying was the best plan. Our resident pro photographer came around and tapped on everyones vehicle just before dawn to prepare for the sunrise. When only a few got up he honked his horn just in time for us lazy bones to see the explosion in the sky.

IMG_3450-X3.jpg

It was unreal and worth the stay in the storm.

We packed up quickly and headed to Guale Overlook a 1/2 mile to the west to see the vista there.

IMG_3467-X3.jpg

Like the campsite, the overlook was spectacular

IMG_3470-X3.jpg

Here is a short video showing the overlook from my Phantom drone

https://youtu.be/u0gzaXlNDqw

wngrog

Adventurer
At this point one in our group had already had to turn north and depart followed by two others about an hour later. Four of us had the entire day to explore in the park so we split up at the Rancherias Loop and headed back east for Jackel Pens. This road is less maintained than the Guale Mesa road, with a few arroyo crossings and some steep descents and climbs.

IMG_3475-X3.jpg

IMG_3480-X3.jpg

IMG_3489-X3.jpg

This is the best picture I have of the Big Blue Truck....

IMG_3490-X3.jpg

Steep hill on the west end....

IMG_3499-X3.jpg

Rancherias Camp

IMG_3506-X3.jpg

This little guy was a great tool for the trip. Big Bend Ranch lets you burn fires so I bought 1/2 a trailer full of wood along with my tent, water and kitchen supplies (skottle)

IMG_3507-X2.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
Jackel Pens was an old ranch house with pumps and an old farmhouse. We stopped and made a sammich and walked around and looked at stuff. The wind was picking back up so we were getting whipped.

IMG_3527-X3.jpg

IMG_3528-X2.jpg

IMG_3532-X2.jpg

IMG_3533-X3.jpg

You know. There is nothing Expo about this truck and it certainly is not Expo As F__K.....like our kitted out 100 series.......

IMG_3534-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
The ranger at the office had told us that Mexicali was one of the best campsites in the park and we were about 2 miles from it at this point so we hooked a right towards Vista Point and began to climb. Im super glad we did not miss this part of the trail. It was.....well, Epic......

IMG_3541-X2.jpg

IMG_3562-X3.jpg

Turns out, it was not the best site in the park. Not even close. But I am glad we went because at that point we were only 4 miles from Vista Point so we turned south and peeled out.

When we got to the point, the wind had to have been going 40-50 mph. You could literally lean into it and it would hold you up.

IMG_3553-X3.jpg

But the view south was worth the wind and the one-way drive to it.

IMG_2673-X3.jpg

At this point everything we did was "going home" so there was less picture taking and less talking on the radio. A bit of a bummed feeling took over the group.

Then we hit this big *** hill again and we all woke up and started enjoying the last of our trip.

IMG_3567-X3.jpg

IMG_3569-X3.jpg

The road out from Jackel Pens is pretty smooth and fast so we made much better time to Saucenda this way that on Guale Mesa.

Here is a 6 minute video of the day starting at Guale and ending on the drive out of the State Park

https://youtu.be/JKVfXqMaPM4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online