Big Bend Ranch State Park MLK Weekend January 2017

wngrog

Adventurer
We made our way to Presidio by 4 pm and gassed up. Since I had left mine parked Saturday morning, I was still on one tank of gas from Study Butte. I estimate I could have done all of it with an extra 5 gallons. I had 10 on me.

We wanted to get on the road so we could drive Texas HWY 17 from Fort Davis North in the daylight. It is an unreal drive. Beautiful.

We quickly passed through Border Patrol and Marfa (its a shame to rush this town)

IMG_3573-X3.jpg

IMG_3574-X3.jpg

Fort Davis too is a great little town but time was wasting so we hammered it north

IMG_3575-X3.jpg

IMG_3576-X3.jpg

IMG_3577-X3.jpg

And sure enough, Texas 17 was just as magnificent as ever. Just at sunset our timing was perfect and a beautiful way to wrap up our west Texas MLK17 adventure

IMG_2692-X2.jpg

IMG_3582-X3.jpg

Until next trip..... #eaf out.......

IMG_2825-X3.jpg

Last edited:

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Nice conclusion to the trip report and excellent photos. Looks like you found a lot of the same things interesting that I did to take pictures of from my last trip out, (report here).

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/167274-BBRSP-Texas-Feb-2014-Trip

I can think of two places on your route from Gualle II out to the Vista point where the hitch extender on the white Lexus would potentially hang up. Did you have any issues with it? I agree with your assessment that the Mexicali campsite wouldn't rate too high on my list compared to others in the park. I'm looking forward to being back out there in a few weeks.

wngrog

Adventurer
The extender had a trailer hooked to it except for the trip up To Nowhere. No issues. I run an 8" on mine.

Both are necessary to clear the swingout and keep the trailer hooked up

wngrog

Adventurer
Great writeup @weejeep2 thank you for the link. More people can see both trips and help themselves decide where to spend their time

Davidw

Observer
Having the longest and the lowest vehicle in the group, I know those two spots well. Believe it or not even in the tundra with just slightly oversized tires and no lift on the truck I only drug the trailer hitch twice on the whole trip. I did go quite slowly through them though. The running boards were a different story with both sides taking some cosmetic damage.

soupbjones

Love the pics! I'm from the Ft Worth area and would love to make a trip out here with a group. Will be following thread.

wngrog

Adventurer
Love the pics! I'm from the Ft Worth area and would love to make a trip out here with a group. Will be following thread.

My advice is to grab a friend and go. You can look at my 2016 report and find the route we took for the NP and the links in this thread give you a good idea how to see the State Park.

Finding someone to invite you on an expo trip is going to be hard. Just go. Don't wait or you will never see it.

-G-

Your pictures and commentary are always a pleasure to view / read. BBRSP is special place and I can't wait to go back.

What is the music in the sunrise video?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles